Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Lighter Weight Hitch Rack for 1-2 Bikes

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-23, 04:18 PM
michaelm101

Bikes: Cannondale Carbon Synapse Road, Cannondale T2000 Touring, Vintage Mongoose IBOC Pro MTB, Vintage Peugeot 12spd racer, Old rusty Schwinn Manta Ray I neglected as a child, Diamondback Haanjo EXP Carbon & Metro, Specialized Roubaix Pro, RaleighSC Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 29 Posts

We've owned a Kuat Transfer V2 rack for quite awhile now. It's the version that can convert to a single rack and I love this feature. However, we don't leave it permanently installed on the vehicle.

As many who own the V2 may know, they are very heavy and appear to be made from iron.

Facts: 1) I'm not getting any younger, and 2) one or more of my many injuries are always always "flaring."

Can anyone direct me to a similar well-crafted hitch-rack that is significantly lighter, perhaps constructed from aluminum?

Thanks very much in advance!
Old 06-24-23, 08:41 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6974 Post(s)
Liked 10,975 Times in 4,695 Posts
Originally Posted by michaelm101
As many who own the V2 may know, they are very heavy and appear to be made from iron.
I looked up the rack and found these specs, which indicate that it's actually about the lightest rack (of its type) on the market...lighter than tray-type hitch-mounted racks from Thule and OneUP USA. Unless I'm missing something, I don't see how you'll get something lighter.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 06-25-23, 01:19 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
If the Kuat is one of the lighter bike racks like Koyote said can you get a roof mounted bike rack and just leave it on your car/suv/truck? At least those are out of the way when you are not transporting your bike.

I am too lazy to remove my kuat sherpa bike rack. Kind of pain when I want to open the back hatch of the rav4 and lift something heavy out.
Old 06-25-23, 07:07 AM
Bald Paul

Quoted: 827 Post(s)
Liked 1,660 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy
If the Kuat is one of the lighter bike racks like Koyote said can you get a roof mounted bike rack and just leave it on your car/suv/truck? At least those are out of the way when you are not transporting your bike.

I am too lazy to remove my kuat sherpa bike rack. Kind of pain when I want to open the back hatch of the rav4 and lift something heavy out.
Look at the Rocky Mounts racks. They have a feature where they will tilt rearward to give you easy hatch access, even with bikes on the rack.
Old 06-25-23, 10:12 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Look at the Rocky Mounts racks. They have a feature where they will tilt rearward to give you easy hatch access, even with bikes on the rack.
The Kuat sherpa tilts down so I can open the rear hatch and it's fine for getting something light like a jacket. It's a pain to step between the rack and lift something heavy.
Old 06-25-23, 10:18 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6974 Post(s)
Liked 10,975 Times in 4,695 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Most of them do that...Though I assumed that the OP's problem was with getting the rack on and off the vehicle.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 06-25-23, 10:31 AM
primov8

Bikes: State Bicycle Co. Undefeated Track SS/FG, Lynskey Helix-Bronze

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 95 Posts
The Kuat Sherpa would be the way go. Aluminum construction and definitely the lightest; I believe sub 40 lbs. I had one years ago and it's still a favorite of mine. Even the Mrs. favored the Sherpa because it was easy for her to lift and install it on her suv when needed.
Old 06-25-23, 11:17 AM
michaelm101

Bikes: Cannondale Carbon Synapse Road, Cannondale T2000 Touring, Vintage Mongoose IBOC Pro MTB, Vintage Peugeot 12spd racer, Old rusty Schwinn Manta Ray I neglected as a child, Diamondback Haanjo EXP Carbon & Metro, Specialized Roubaix Pro, RaleighSC Tandem

Originally Posted by Koyote
I looked up the rack and found these specs, which indicate that it's actually about the lightest rack (of its type) on the market...lighter than tray-type hitch-mounted racks from Thule and OneUP USA. Unless I'm missing something, I don't see how you'll get something lighter.
Thanks for taking the time to do this. I figured they'd have an aluminum one in the lineup by now. I'll simply have to get stronger...
Old 06-25-23, 12:09 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1089 Post(s)
Liked 871 Times in 491 Posts
There are the trunk mounted ones that just strap to the back with cheap straps and buckles. I think I’ve even seen suction cup ones. I think they’re all a big step down from what you already have in terms of ease and security, but they are lighter.
Old 06-25-23, 12:59 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4367 Post(s)
Liked 4,006 Times in 2,675 Posts
Thule Helium is a hanging rack but I would go for the Thule Easyfold XT2 it is not a super light rack by any means but it is not heavy however the real point of it is that it folds and has wheels on the bottom so it is easy to move around so the only lifting you do is on and off the car and you wheel it into your house or garage and if you have to lift it, it is a smaller easy to carry footprint. It also has a ramp on it to make it easier to get bikes on and off and folds up into the rack if you don't need it and the arms are removable so you can load you first bike and then add the second without having to worry about fishing the arm through before hand. Really excellent rack, they have a new one out which is a three bike and that one is nice but you can probably get a EasyFold for a bit cheaper now and I think it is a really great rack, we have used them and sold them for years.
Old 06-26-23, 07:43 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9656 Post(s)
Liked 6,366 Times in 3,506 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to do this. I figured they'd have an aluminum one in the lineup by now. I'll simply have to get stronger...
They do, it's the Sherpa. Great rack.
Old 06-26-23, 11:06 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 623 Posts
I don't know whether anybody suggested this (since we never remove our 1UP and didn't the Thule before, but why not consider a trunk mount for the one bike days?
Old 06-26-23, 11:23 AM
michaelm101

Originally Posted by Mojo31
They do, it's the Sherpa. Great rack.
Thx! Does this model come in the 1 (or 2) bike "module" configuration?
Old 06-26-23, 11:30 AM
michaelm101

Originally Posted by 2old
I don't know whether anybody suggested this (since we never remove our 1UP and didn't the Thule before, but why not consider a trunk mount for the one bike days?
Thoughtful suggestion and thank you.

About a decade ago, we relied on a trunk rack on one of our vehicles and there are chips and imperfections in the rear of the body due to this.

To this day, the vehicle is in cosmetically excellent condition, aside from the rear panel and trunk areas :-(.
Likes For michaelm101:
Old 06-26-23, 11:38 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 623 Posts
Thoughtful suggestion and thank you.

About a decade ago, we relied on a trunk rack on one of our vehicles and there are chips and imperfections in the rear of the body due to this.

To this day, the vehicle is in cosmetically excellent condition, aside from the rear panel and trunk areas :-(.
My daughter needed to move her e-bike 400 miles and was successful with a trunk mount and insulation, but maybe too much work on a regular basis. Thank you for your response.
Old 06-26-23, 01:12 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
I think the Thule Helium Platform XT might be just what you're looking for. The single bike model is only 23 pounds. It appears they are no longer in production, but some retailers still have them in stock.
Old 06-26-23, 04:14 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
This is a good question. I have the Kuat NV (original version). It weighs 52 lbs and is a huge pain to move. I used to have the extension kit to carry 4 bikes -- that weighed over 90 lbs total. I sold off the extender though when my kids stopped riding. Seriously - it is a beast to move. Luckily, I don't need to use it that much. Nice rack though.
Old 06-26-23, 04:49 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked 1,748 Times in 1,017 Posts
1Up is a stupid light rack. I have it setup for a single and add on for when I need to haul a second bike.

Old 06-26-23, 08:26 PM
themp

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
1Up is a stupid light rack. I have it setup for a single and add on for when I need to haul a second bike.
I second this. I do the same with a single setup and have the add on for a second bike. The second setup can be removed quite easily with just loosing two bolts and sliding and lifting it off. The first and second are under 25 pounds each. The single can be lifted by the cross bar and it is balanced for lifting.
Old 06-26-23, 09:28 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked 1,748 Times in 1,017 Posts
Originally Posted by themp
I second this. I do the same with a single setup and have the add on for a second bike. The second setup can be removed quite easily with just loosing two bolts and sliding and lifting it off. The first and second are under 25 pounds each. The single can be lifted by the cross bar and it is balanced for lifting.

The main rack is 23 lbs and the Add on is 18lbs, hard to beat. If you do the super duty, it is about 5 lbs more. I opted for the non-super duty as I do not have any bikes that weigh more than 25 lbs and those racks are rated for 50 lbs per.

Old 07-02-23, 02:54 PM
Calsun
Banned

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I saw the weight of the Kuat racks and quickly scratched them from my list. What I bought was a 1Up Super Double rack that weighs 47 lbs but has platforms to support the weight of the bike and so better with carbon frame bikes. I use the Hollywood Rack Valet to move the rack from the car to my garage and it is a great design that works with both 1-1/4" and 2" racks and have four lockable wheels.

Other rack manufacturers to consider are Swagman (Canada manufacturer) and Hollywood (USA). At the high end there are racks from Thule and Yakima. The Thule has a short ramp and it has its own wheels to move it to and from the vehicle. Strongly recommend the reviews by owners of these racks to learn the pros and cons of each before making the purchase. The more popular models are likely to be out of stock.
Old 07-03-23, 11:58 AM
atnyc

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Thx! Does this model come in the 1 (or 2) bike "module" configuration?
Sadly, no. It only comes in 2 bike version. It’s pretty light though. (I’m a small woman, I find it easy to get it on and off the car, can easily carry it around the garage, even one handed briefly if I need my other hand to move some stuff around)

I’m also trying to decide between the 1+1 modular vs fixed 2 bike options. So could use your first hand experience of the pros and cons of using the 1 bike configuration.

For me, it’s not so much for the weight saving. Just that I often only need to carry one bike. Seems to me, if I have a single bike carrier, I MAY just leave it flat (instead of fold up, which blocks the tailgate) without making the car far too long? That way, I can just leave the rack on the car instead of keep taking it on and off.

Last edited by atnyc; 07-03-23 at 03:17 PM.
Old 07-03-23, 04:03 PM
Calsun
Banned

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
If you do not mind leaving the rack on 100% of the time the Kuat has a swing-away attachment that although very heavy and expensive it does allow for swinging the rack fully load with bike out of the way for full access to the rear of a car or truck.
Old 07-03-23, 05:43 PM
soyabean

Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
I had to look up this rack just to see what the fuss was about.

This is a pretty minimalist rack already, and not sure if one can do any "smaller".

If the OP doesn't want the hassle of putting the rack onto the hitch every weekend, then the swing arm is a good idea to leave the rack there permanently while still giving full access to a vehicle's rear door.

I'm often throwing on my 2-platform rack to buy/deliver bikes, and although I don't think it's the lightest thing, perhaps I don't find it a problem as it only weighs about a quarter of my 4-platform beast that I only take out on planned vacations. 4-platform racks are made with a ton of metal to withstand safe tongue weight, which I am told tops out at about 500 lbs total.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
kuat.jpg (16.0 KB, 33 views)