Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

RS Cast Parts and related -

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-23, 11:04 AM
e-RICHIE

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 10 Posts

-
No Longer Shen
In 2001 I went on a tear and dove head first into parts design and production. Every year or so I added to the menu or tweaked what was already there. By the middle teens there were six lug sets, two rear dropout styles in five different angles, front dropouts, three bottom brackets, four fork crowns, some braze-ons, and a world-class seat lug binder bolt.
When my foundry announced they were closing in 2017 there was a mad rush to place one last order that'd last until forever. I wired a $22,000 payment for what I thought would keep all of us in parts. Lo and behold, my supplier stayed open all along and I eventually ran down the inventory. Last spring, once again I was told the doors were closing.
Since then I've had all my tools (some 37 individual molds, one for each RS part) sent to a new foundry. Samples were made. Comments were listened to. And eventually everything got back to normal. As of this week, I'm confident that my materials will continue to be produced. The work I've received is of a higher quality than ever.
The materials page on my site describes each part. If you have any questions about these, please email me. The link is here: https://richardsachs.com/materials/

Old 12-21-23, 11:18 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
And for all your passion and efforts we are grateful. Andy
Old 12-21-23, 02:33 PM
vintage cellar

Bikes: 1970 Alex Singer, 63 Hetchins, 75 Motobecane Townie, more . . .

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Allotec ?

Originally Posted by e-RICHIE
-
No Longer Shen
In 2001 I went on a tear and dove head first into parts design and production. Every year or so I added to the menu or tweaked what was already there. By the middle teens there were six lug sets, two rear dropout styles in five different angles, front dropouts, three bottom brackets, four fork crowns, some braze-ons, and a world-class seat lug binder bolt.
When my foundry announced they were closing in 2017 there was a mad rush to place one last order that'd last until forever. I wired a $22,000 payment for what I thought would keep all of us in parts. Lo and behold, my supplier stayed open all along and I eventually ran down the inventory. Last spring, once again I was told the doors were closing.
Since then I've had all my tools (some 37 individual molds, one for each RS part) sent to a new foundry. Samples were made. Comments were listened to. And eventually everything got back to normal. As of this week, I'm confident that my materials will continue to be produced. The work I've received is of a higher quality than ever.
The materials page on my site describes each part. If you have any questions about these, please email me. The link is here: https://richardsachs.com/materials/

So did you shift production to Allotec ?
I tried some of their earlier stuff, and it wasn't too impressive. But maybe they just needed better quality casting molds and feedback ?

It would be really nice if they could pick up where LS left off.

Happy Holidays,
Michael
Old 12-21-23, 02:36 PM
e-RICHIE

Originally Posted by vintage cellar
So did you shift production to Allotec ?
I tried some of their earlier stuff, and it wasn't too impressive. But maybe they just needed better quality casting molds and feedback ?

It would be really nice if they could pick up where LS left off.

Happy Holidays,
Michael

Not Allotec. We tried them briefly in the early teens for two of my then-new lug sets and eventually decided they couldn't handle the project.
Old 12-21-23, 06:09 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
that's an impressive body of work. I'm glad you found a source that can make good parts.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 12-25-23, 12:43 AM
Andrew_G

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 66 Posts
My old web link to Long Shen directed me to Tange (https://tange-design.com/longsheng.php) . This statement is posted at the bottom of the 'history' section:

"2023 – Tange and LS terminated cooperation . LS shut down the factory . Tange keeps running LS brands and producing all LS merchandises."

I scrolled thru various sections of the Tange/Long Shen website (https://tange-design.com/longsheng.php) , and it looks like a good number of frame parts are still being manufactured.

Andrew G.
Old 12-25-23, 08:20 AM
e-RICHIE

Originally Posted by Andrew_G
My old web link to Long Shen directed me to Tange (https://tange-design.com/longsheng.php) . This statement is posted at the bottom of the 'history' section:

"2023 – Tange and LS terminated cooperation . LS shut down the factory . Tange keeps running LS brands and producing all LS merchandises."

I scrolled thru various sections of the Tange/Long Shen website (https://tange-design.com/longsheng.php) , and it looks like a good number of frame parts are still being manufactured.

Andrew G.
Yes, I know. Since before 2017 their combined missives to clients regarding what’s next have been shrouded in code, such that I lost faith. I’ve never used any of their cast parts from the catalog but am happy to know they’re continuing on a limited basis.
Old 12-25-23, 04:05 PM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
e-RICHIE
Do you sell parts to garage builders? I seem to recall, maybe wrong, that early in your lug selling career, that there was a stipulation that only pros, or those with framebuilders insurance, could purchase.

Not sure why I'm asking, because I only build for myself, and I already have a backlog of projects, but your parts are just so inspiring! Thanks for supporting the community!
Old 12-26-23, 04:35 AM
e-RICHIE

Originally Posted by Nessism
e-RICHIE
Do you sell parts to garage builders? I seem to recall, maybe wrong, that early in your lug selling career, that there was a stipulation that only pros, or those with framebuilders insurance, could purchase.

Not sure why I'm asking, because I only build for myself, and I already have a backlog of projects, but your parts are just so inspiring! Thanks for supporting the community!
yes, order away!

thank you