Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Colder weather riding clothing

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Colder weather riding clothing

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-23, 06:29 PM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 194 Posts
Trying to figure out what to wear in cold weather is such a PITA. But the real problem for me is sweating. My skin can be truly ice cold, but I'm still sweating. I'm pretty sure how much I sweat is a function of my core temp only. Makes no difference if my skin is damn near frozen. I'll sweat.

So, really there's no way I can end a ride without being pretty wet. All the fancy Goretex breathable BS, helps a small bit. but doesn't really solve the issue. To stay dry, you need airflow, but it's this same airflow that exposes you to cold air. I need some amount of wind blocking to stay warm enough, but this also means the sweat doesn't get dried off all that well.

Of course, something that is non-breathable like a typical nylon windbreaker is like being in a sauna. So, while not perfect, the fancy breathable stuff is much better than the alternative.

In general what works best for me is a merino wool base layer, a good thermal jersey, and a wind blocking, but breathable vest. The wool layer holds a lot of moisture before getting wet. Very much better than any synthetics, and I tried a lot of those.

I use a Castelli Perfetto Ros vest. Love the thing.

If it's colder, say below 40 F, or cloudy, then I wear a Castelli Alpha Ros light jacket. This wind blocks on the front surfaces, including sleeves, but is much more open on the backs of the sleeves and the back of the jacket. Works well, if not perfect.

While I see some guys out riding in summer kit when it's in the 40's, my thing is below 60 F, I'm wearing fleece lined bib tights. Below 50 F, I'm wearing double tights. This means bibs tights with chamois, with another pair of tights (not bib no chamois) over those.

Below 50 F, I also wear winter riding boots (I use SPD MTB cleats). I've used shoe covers, but these are such PITA to get on and off, the boots keep it simple. They block wind, are water proof, though where I live and when I ride, that's not needed. A single pair of thick wool socks and I'm good.

For gloves I love, love my Gorewear M-Gore gloves. These are wind blocking on the front, yet pretty breathable everywhere else. For whatever reason my hands sweat a lot, and these are still only damp when I finish a ride. I've had others where I literally can wring sweat out of them. And my hands are cold. The M-Gore have worked well in all the temps I ride in. Which is down into the 30's F range.

As needed I wear thick or thin skull caps, use neck gaiters. I always carry a lightweight, packable wind jacket just in case I get colder than expected.
Likes For Mtracer:
Old 01-01-24, 10:15 AM
2Mins2Midnight

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Epic Evo, and Carve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Below 60*F I wear: (link removed because I'm still a noob and can't post links)

1. Available in 5 sizes so hopefully everyone can find a pair that fits.
2. Ultrafit 4 way stretch fleece keeps hands cozy.
3. Silicone dots on fingers and palms provide decent grip, better than bare hands, especially when damp.
4. Sensatec fingertips for index fingers and thumbs to fiddle with Strava and other apps on iPhone.
5. Can be machine washed in cold water with rest of cycling apparel.

But these gloves may not be grippy enough if you only brake with the tips of your index fingers; I use both my index and my middle fingers.
Funny, I actually have these exact Costco gloves. They were a Christmas gift from my mother-in-law a few years ago and I love them, although I don't use them for cycling because I have a pair of Bontrager gloves that are a similar weight but have better functionality for cycling (grip in the right places, more wrist coverage, etc.). I find the sweet spot for this weight of glove to be upper 50s to low 60s, although my hands are admittedly more sensitive to cold than most probably. One feature I love about these Costco gloves and my Bontrager ones are the little clips on the wrist that allows you to clip the two gloves together, keeping you from digging around in the laundry basket trying to find the match. The clips don't create the sleekest looking glove, but I'm willing to take the practicality over the aesthetics.

Originally Posted by bikingshearer
This is exactly right. Also, keep in mind that it is unrealistic to be 100% at all times in chilly/cold weather. About the best you hope for is being a a bit warmer than you'd like on climbs, a bit colder than you'd like on descents, and about right on flat terrain. And the newspaper tip is a good one. It has gooten me down several long cold descents.
This is great advice for most of the country, but I think the longest "climb" within 30 miles of me here in Dallas is maybe 2 minutes max haha
Likes For 2Mins2Midnight:
Old 01-20-24, 07:39 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
I have a question just slightly off-topic. When riding in the rain and wearing glasses or goggles, how do you deal with the constant blurring or fogging?
Old 01-20-24, 07:45 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 556 Posts
Originally Posted by SpedFast
I have a question just slightly off-topic. When riding in the rain and wearing glasses or goggles, how do you deal with the constant blurring or fogging?
a bill on your helmet does wonders. it will keep most of the rain from going behind your glasses. since using a bill it get a lot less of it. the anti fog spays may help but you have to apply them before a ride. but you need ot keep the rain fro, getting on the other side of your glasses.
this is how I deal with it invested in these puppies.
Old 01-20-24, 07:54 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
a bill on your helmet does wonders. it will keep most of the rain from going behind your glasses. since using a bill it get a lot less of it. the anti fog spays may help but you have to apply them before a ride. but you need ot keep the rain fro, getting on the other side of your glasses.
this is how I deal with it invested in these puppies.
But then do you find you need to wipe them occasionally? The rain doesn't get behind my glasses, but when it runs down the front I have a hard time seeing and find I'm constantly swiping them with a finger or the back of my glove which only helps marginally. I've used defogging sprays and liquids such as Cat Crap with very limited success and then they wipe off if I stop and use a paper towel on them. Because I use a strap to secure my glasses which is under my head gear it becomes a real pain to remove everything just to clean my glasses and have them distort again in a few minutes of riding. I know, I should just suck it up like a buttercup and quit my whining, but it not only gets frustrating, at night it gets downright dangerous.0
Old 01-20-24, 07:58 PM
fooferdoggie 

But then do you find you need to wipe them occasionally? The rain doesn't get behind my glasses, but when it runs down the front I have a hard time seeing and find I'm constantly swiping them with a finger or the back of my glove which only helps marginally. I've used defogging sprays and liquids such as Cat Crap with very limited success and then they wipe off if I stop and use a paper towel on them. Because I use a strap to secure my glasses which is under my head gear it becomes a real pain to remove everything just to clean my glasses and have them distort again in a few minutes of riding. I know, I should just suck it up like a buttercup and quit my whining, but it not only gets frustrating, at night it gets downright dangerous.0
I can usually see when it is that bad. but you mainly focus on things farther way. I usually keep to roads I know in bad weather. the bill keeps a fair amount of rain off so its not so bad. you can get glasses that have the waterproof coating on them.

Last edited by fooferdoggie; 01-20-24 at 08:02 PM.
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 01-20-24, 08:05 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

I can usually see when it is that bad. but you mainly focus on things farther way. I usually keep to roads I know in bad weather.
The roads I am familiar with. It's the people in the cars that I don't know that have me concerned haha. Sitting here thinking about it, I'm beginning to believe that my main concern is with my situational awareness and how it's being impacted. My hearing is already impaired and I use a helmet mounted mirror to compensate. I need to figure out how to compensate for the blurred vision. Heads on swivels maybe.
Old 01-20-24, 08:32 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts
I have never used it but I wonder if Rain-X would help? Or maybe one of the new “ceramic” wax/coatings for car finishes.
Old 01-20-24, 08:55 PM
fooferdoggie 

The roads I am familiar with. It's the people in the cars that I don't know that have me concerned haha. Sitting here thinking about it, I'm beginning to believe that my main concern is with my situational awareness and how it's being impacted. My hearing is already impaired and I use a helmet mounted mirror to compensate. I need to figure out how to compensate for the blurred vision. Heads on swivels maybe.
may be tine to invest in glasses that have a hydrophobic-coated glasses.
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 01-21-24, 11:41 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

may be tine to invest in glasses that have a hydrophobic-coated glasses.
I'll look into that. Thanks
Old 01-21-24, 11:57 AM
John Valuk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 109 Posts
At least under some conditions, Sven Can See helps me with fogging.
Likes For John Valuk:
Old 01-21-24, 12:05 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by John Valuk
At least under some conditions, Sven Can See helps me with fogging.
I fogging is a problem I have a cheap fix.
When I scuba dive I have to defog my mask. There are commercial products for this but wiping the inside with a small amount of baby shampoo works very well. I have never tried it on glasses but it should work on goggles.
Likes For pepperbelly:
Old 01-21-24, 11:31 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Originally Posted by pepperbelly
I have never used it but I wonder if Rain-X would help? Or maybe one of the new “ceramic” wax/coatings for car finishes.
Thanks for the tip. I have some of both that I use on my truck, never thought about using it on my glasses.
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 01-22-24, 09:09 AM
fooferdoggie 

Thanks for the tip. I have some of both that I use on my truck, never thought about using it on my glasses.
don't really work raiinx needs speed to blow the water off. the ceramic ones are for glass.
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 01-22-24, 11:46 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

don't really work raiinx needs speed to blow the water off. the ceramic ones are for glass.
My riding glasses are glass.
Old 01-22-24, 11:51 AM
fooferdoggie 

My riding glasses are glass.
then you may be in luck.
Old 01-22-24, 07:21 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

then you may be in luck.
I'll find out tomorrow
Old 01-28-24, 11:36 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

I'll find out tomorrow
I had a couple of dry days so didn't get the opportunity until tonight when I decided a night ride after the games was in order. It wasn't raining, just super thick Londonistic fog that floated in off the ocean. At 50°F it not only fogged up my glasses, but the condensation on them was bad and the Rainex was no help. I had to resort to a piece of tissue paper to keep swiping over them and occasionally stopping to swipe both sides of the glass just to see. Still a great ride.
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 01-28-24, 11:51 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

I had a couple of dry days so didn't get the opportunity until tonight when I decided a night ride after the games was in order. It wasn't raining, just super thick Londonistic fog that floated in off the ocean. At 50°F it not only fogged up my glasses, but the condensation on them was bad and the Rainex was no help. I had to resort to a piece of tissue paper to keep swiping over them and occasionally stopping to swipe both sides of the glass just to see. Still a great ride.
For them fogging up try the baby shampoo. Just a drop and wipe it around with your finger. Try rinsing and not rinsing. It works on my scuba mask. It’s cheap enough to try and can’t hurt anything.
Old 01-29-24, 08:11 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Originally Posted by pepperbelly
For them fogging up try the baby shampoo. Just a drop and wipe it around with your finger. Try rinsing and not rinsing. It works on my scuba mask. It’s cheap enough to try and can’t hurt anything.
I've tried that on my snowmobile helmet shield with only temporary luck. I will try the ceramic? wax next.
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 01-29-24, 09:52 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

I've tried that on my snowmobile helmet shield with only temporary luck. I will try the ceramic? wax next.
I have only used it diving so I have no idea how long it will work.
Old 01-29-24, 09:55 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by 2Mins2Midnight
Funny, I actually have these exact Costco gloves.
After washing those gloves twice the touch screen fingertips no longer work on touch screens. Luckily the weather is warming up so this is a problem for Thanksgiving.
Old 01-31-24, 10:41 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Okay, I took the time to wax my glasses and while it was more effort, they were much clearer initially than baby shampoo. However, I ended up using a clean piece of cloth to wipe my glasses instead of TP, which kept disintegrating. But then I began to wonder exactly what the wax was accomplishing since I was still wiping my glasses anyway duh. I'm going to stick to the clean piece of cloth. It can be wrung out as needed.
I should add, it's microfiber and soft so it doesn't scratch and really soaks up moisture,
Likes For SpedFast: