Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Advice on Gipiemme or other 700c campy wheels?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-22, 01:14 PM
AndresXML

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've got an older Giant bike running Campy Veloce 10sp on Fulcrum Racing 7 wheels with 25mm tires. They're showing their age and I am looking to replace them.

Obviously, since I don't race but rather go on long solo rides, I am looking for something that endures and doesn't break the bank. Given the Campagnolo groupset, my options are rather limited.

What I've came across so far is:

Gipiemme Equipe 716 Tubeless Road Wheel Set - can't find out much about them, apart that they haven't been upgraded since 2015. I like the 40mm rim height and the price fits my range.

Campagnolo Zonda C17 - reputable wheels, but very low rim height and slightly on the higher end of my budget.

Miche Altur - really nice looking wheels, within budget, a review from road.cc praised them back in 2015. I have heard bad stories about Miche reliability.

Can you guys help a fella out? Which one should I choose and are there other wheels I missed?
Old 10-28-22, 02:04 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6203 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 3,323 Posts
Can you guys help a fella out? Which one should I choose and are there other wheels I missed?
You missed a lot of wheels out there. Since you don't seem to be looking at anything more than a $250 budget for a wheelset, most any you find at that price or less are going to be about equal quality if you stick to the common and known name brands in cycling.

Your region or country might make a difference as to what you can get or from what vendor you can purchase from.
Old 10-28-22, 02:09 PM
AndresXML

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am in central-eastern Europe. Budget is around $300-$350.
Old 10-28-22, 03:47 PM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
I've been riding Calimas for a few years and really like them
https://www.bike24.com/p2248501.html...b-1719212a04dd
Old 10-31-22, 09:43 AM
primov8

Bikes: State Bicycle Co. Undefeated Track SS/FG, Lynskey Helix-Bronze

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 95 Posts
If you'd like to keep it Campagnolo, the Scirocco C17 wheelset is worth looking into. It has a 35mm rim profile and priced right around your budget.
Old 11-01-22, 11:44 AM
Kevinti

Bikes: Time VXS Translink, State Bicycle Black Label V2 Single, Electra Beach Cruiser, Santana Tandem

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Aren't there Campy freehubs available for other brands of wheels? I've bought Mavic wheels that came with a Shimano freehub but I just changed the hub over to a Campagnolo one. You may have more options than you think.