Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I'm looking to find a starter road bike..(perferably less than $900)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-09, 02:12 AM
eddiepliers 

Bikes: 2011 Scott Addict R3 and Redline Conquest with Campy Veloce

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm a somewhat disabled rider, so my income is not the best. I'm currently 5'3" and I would like suggestions for a half-decent road bike.

A couple of my options were buying a Felt F95 team (which I really want), a Trek 1.2, a Giant Defy 3, and a Specialized Allez triple (because the hills or PA are pretty tough).

I know my ideal size would be from 46-48, but does it make a difference whether I go with 650cc or 700cc wheelsets? And when I decide to upgrade my group, is there any difference between Campy and Shimano?

Thanks in advance...
Old 08-03-09, 04:21 AM
DenisMenchov
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try them all out, then make a decision. Don't get sold on the first bike you try out, I think we are all guilty on that at some point.

Then bargain bargain bargain the price down.

Bikesdirect has good deals as well, but you need to either know how to wrench, or are willing to learn. It's always easier to just go to the LBS if you have an issue though.
Old 08-03-09, 04:29 AM
AtlBentRider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought a Trek 1.5 for my daughter. It was on sale at the Trek dealer for the same price as the 1.2. It's a nice bike.
Old 08-03-09, 05:00 AM
peddlinski

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would say go ride a few and then ride them again. Thats what I did. I rode the Defy 3 then went to another dealer and rode the Jamis Ventura Sport and then went to another dealer and rode the Fuji Newest 3.0. They were all nice but I found the Giant to be exactly what I was looking for. The Jamis was heavy and had a double crank and cromoly fork but it rode good. The Fuji had everything I was looking for except it just didn't look as modern as the Giant. I also really liked the shifters on the Fuji. It was the cheapest of the bunch too. The Giant has everything the Fuji has and looks great to boot. It also feels much lighter but is the most expensive of the 3.
Old 08-03-09, 05:15 AM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by eddiepliers
I'm a somewhat disabled rider, so my income is not the best. I'm currently 5'3" and I would like suggestions for a half-decent road bike.

A couple of my options were buying a Felt F95 team (which I really want), a Trek 1.2, a Giant Defy 3, and a Specialized Allez triple (because the hills or PA are pretty tough).

I know my ideal size would be from 46-48, but does it make a difference whether I go with 650cc or 700cc wheelsets? And when I decide to upgrade my group, is there any difference between Campy and Shimano?

Thanks in advance...
If it fits, then get the F95 because that's what you really want.

The wheel size does make a difference. On small frames, compromises in the frame geometry have to be made in order to fit 700C wheels. This is why some small frames are made with 650C wheels. That said, with 700C you have more choices of tires and can share tubes with other riders.
Old 08-03-09, 05:56 AM
sonik90
greased lightning

Bikes: Kona Haole, Vitus 979 Campy.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
check eBay for used deals.. this is the only way to get a highend groupset for under $900. I have seen Colnago's, Serotta's, and older Trek's go for less.
Old 08-03-09, 02:22 PM
eddiepliers 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found this one on ebay... should I go after it???

https://cgi.ebay.com/Masi-Alare-47-CM...d=p3286.c0.m14
Old 08-03-09, 02:37 PM
vikz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought a Giant defy 3 for 699.99 and i'm glad I did..
Old 08-03-09, 02:47 PM
joe_5700
CAT4

Bikes: 2009 Cervélo S1, 2009 Felt F75, 2010 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5, 2011 Cannondale CAADx, 2011 Specialized Transition Elite

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you looked at the Felt Z100 or Z80? With a triple and a cassette with better ratios for hills it may suit you better than the F95.
Old 08-03-09, 02:50 PM
Acbike
On a bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You may also want to look into a caad9 7 which go for around 799 new. It's a great frame for a entry level bike, that would definately be worth upgrading the components on later if wanted.
Old 08-03-09, 02:58 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts

Thanks in advance...
This is akin to asking Catholic or Protestant? In Belfast.
Old 08-03-09, 03:05 PM
eddiepliers 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
This is akin to asking Catholic or Protestant? In Belfast.
Or Apple vs Windows?

lol
Old 08-03-09, 03:25 PM
do-well

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Or Apple vs Windows?

lol
While I can buy the religion question as one of personal preference, I don't feel the same way about your example.

As for an entry level bike, get the bike that 1) fits you best and 2) comes with a good relationship with a LBS. Alot of entry bikes are similar (not exactly the same). I ended up with a Lemond Etape in 2006. Like the bike. Ho-hum on the LBS.
Old 08-03-09, 03:43 PM
G-money

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek 1.5

I just got a Trek 1.5 for both me and the wife and we are loving them (although I think I need a new saddle)! You might also check out this useful article re: starter road bike options: https://www.bicycling.com/bikesunder1k/.
Old 08-03-09, 07:03 PM
TGilmore

Bikes: '09 Felt F85

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought a Felt F85 for a bit above your $900 budget. The bike was Originally $1250, but they had it 25% off due to end of season. So far I'm really enjoying the ride. Check around your LBS for closeouts on '09 models. Good Luck!

Tyson