Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

My first (entry level) road bike: 2009 Giant Defy 3 or...Specialized Allez Compact

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

My first (entry level) road bike: 2009 Giant Defy 3 or...Specialized Allez Compact

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-09, 05:34 AM
UBUvelo
astrositupataphysicyclist

Bikes: too many now

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yes, economics is part of the equation, but i should be able to find these on sale as well, i hope.

i know the Allez Compact is probably the better bike, but i don't think i can go wrong on the Defy 3 either.

i don't plan on doing alot of hard riding or competing (yet), but i do plan to do alot of riding. as a mountain biker, i do want to open up my options for riding when it's not time to hit trails.

https://www2.giant-bicycles.com/en-us...ad/2266/32193/

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...jsp?spid=39254

also, since sizing will be new to me, being around 5'8" +, would a 54cm frame be about right?

thanks

Last edited by UBUvelo; 09-22-09 at 05:59 AM.
Old 09-22-09, 05:56 AM
mzeffex 

Bikes: Something Canadian, something Italian, something American, and something German

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
okay so as both a giant and specialized owner ill say the allez. More racy design and better components. For giant you would ride an m or ml
Old 09-22-09, 06:14 AM
PurpleFender

Bikes: Giant Defy2, Soul Faith

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 6'0" and I have a 32" inseam and I ride an ML defy 2. Can't go wrong with that frame. It loves lots of riding and is quite smooth on chip&seal (or as smooth as you can get on that junk). It invites lots of time in the saddle. I can't speak to the specialized.
Old 09-22-09, 07:00 AM
UBUvelo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks (thus far) for the info. i will certainly test ride them. still can't find info on their weight (say a 54 on the allez and a M on the defy).

though i want to stay focused on these two, if there are any others that compare, please post a link. if by some miracle i can find one before saturday, i'll be riding it in NY for the Escape ride...not sure if dealers in my 50 mile radius carry either of these in my size at a sale price
Old 09-22-09, 07:24 AM
cshell
In the dark

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 09-22-09, 07:30 AM
str8jakett
I pedal in my sleep...

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced 2015, Giant Propel Advanced Pro 2015, Giant TCR Advanced 0 ISP 2008, Cube Cross Race SL 2018, Chapter2 TOA 2022

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 37 Posts
Can't speak for the Specialized either, but I love my Defy 3. I'm 5'10" with a 30" inseam and opted to go with the M, which I believe is a 54.
Old 09-22-09, 07:34 AM
UBUvelo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by str8jakett
Can't speak for the Specialized either, but I love my Defy 3. I'm 5'10" with a 30" inseam and opted to go with the M, which I believe is a 54.
i have heard that alot (folks loving this)...my one concern is shifting...and if this is available as a compact (one reason i lean towards the Specialized). i know the frame is a keeper and i can upgrade later.

but aside from weight, why choose a compact over a triple?
Old 09-22-09, 07:35 AM
cshell
In the dark

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UBUvelo
I do better with fewer choices / options.

Old 09-22-09, 08:16 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
thanks (thus far) for the info. i will certainly test ride them. still can't find info on their weight (say a 54 on the allez and a M on the defy).

though i want to stay focused on these two, if there are any others that compare, please post a link. if by some miracle i can find one before saturday, i'll be riding it in NY for the Escape ride...not sure if dealers in my 50 mile radius carry either of these in my size at a sale price
Felt F-75

https://www.bikesportmichigan.com/rev..._FeltF75.shtml
Old 09-22-09, 08:17 AM
str8jakett
I pedal in my sleep...

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced 2015, Giant Propel Advanced Pro 2015, Giant TCR Advanced 0 ISP 2008, Cube Cross Race SL 2018, Chapter2 TOA 2022

Personal preference? I live in the mountains. 70% of my rides are hard fought climbing miles on short, steep grades. The triple has been a lifesaver.
Old 09-22-09, 08:23 AM
str8jakett
I pedal in my sleep...

Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
Great bike, but your looking at $400 - $600 more than the original bikes the OP asked about.
Old 09-22-09, 08:27 AM
Ames

Bikes: 1980 Motobacane Team Champion 2008 Gary Fisher Hi Fi 2009 Madone 6.9

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Make an offer of about 70% of retail for the bikes and see which shop takes it. I do not see a lot of difference in the bikes in your price range as they are all good rides. First change is to get a saddle that works for you.
Old 09-22-09, 08:30 AM
UBUvelo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great bike, but your looking at $400 - $600 more than the original bikes the OP asked about.
yes, nice, but a bit pricier.

well, here in media PA, it's not quite mountains, but there are alot of steep climbs...i think i'll not concern myself, then, with the compact equation (yet...).

seems that the basic consensus from reading reviews of the Defy 3 is that it is really a bang for the buck.

performance is more important than looks, but i admit, both bikes look nice. the allez in red is truly sharp...but i noticed some differences in geometry.

the defy is considered endurance road...meaning...? a bit bulkier?

Last edited by UBUvelo; 09-22-09 at 08:39 AM.
Old 09-22-09, 08:31 AM
UBUvelo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ames
Make an offer of about 70% of retail for the bikes and see which shop takes it. I do not see a lot of difference in the bikes in your price range as they are all good rides. First change is to get a saddle that works for you.

so (esp. in the case of 2009 bikes), shops will consider offers? i haven't bought a bike from an LBS in years...and i don't think i bargained back then
Old 09-22-09, 08:33 AM
rmb339

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was actually deciding between these 2 bikes about 3 weeks ago...went with the 2010 Specialized Allez Sport, which is comparable to the 2009 Specialized Allez.

Make sure you ride both. I did and the Allez just felt like a smoother ride to me. Obviously you may have a different opinion.

So far, no complaints.
Old 09-22-09, 08:38 AM
UBUvelo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rmb339
I was actually deciding between these 2 bikes about 3 weeks ago...went with the 2010 Specialized Allez Sport, which is comparable to the 2009 Specialized Allez.

Make sure you ride both. I did and the Allez just felt like a smoother ride to me. Obviously you may have a different opinion.

So far, no complaints.
thanks. smoother and...more responsive?
i think the allez components are going to be better (how much did you pay if you don't mind my asking?).

what were the + aspects with regards to the defy in your estimation? did you ride hard and fast? i'll see what they feel like. luckily, this particular LBS is only a few blocks away. my neighborhood has some long stretches and curves and descents/climbs i can attack in 10 minutes.
Old 09-22-09, 08:45 AM
str8jakett
I pedal in my sleep...

the defy is considered endurance road...meaning...? a bit bulkier?
Meaning the Defy geometry is more comfortable for longer rides rather than short fast rides/races.

This is the best piece of advice really. Ride them both, consider what you will use the bike for most of the time, and choose what you like best! I rode the Allez at my shop when I rode the Defy and just liked the Defy better (plus that granny gear was going to get some use), and I'll openly admit that the blue/black/silver color scheme was a big factor in my purchase as well!
Old 09-22-09, 08:59 AM
UBUvelo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Meaning the Defy geometry is more comfortable for longer rides rather than short fast rides/races...
again, thanks...and here's more fine tuned question.

that said, since i am on the cusp of 'fitting' the M or the M/L frame, i assume the latter is a bit more 'comfortable'...but then (of course) heavier.

i assume one's lightness isn't much different than the other's slight weightiness.

nonetheless, endurance is fine...i want to ride some distances at a nice pace. leaning towards the M
Old 09-22-09, 09:09 AM
rmb339

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks. smoother and...more responsive?
i think the allez components are going to be better (how much did you pay if you don't mind my asking?).

what were the + aspects with regards to the defy in your estimation? did you ride hard and fast? i'll see what they feel like. luckily, this particular LBS is only a few blocks away. my neighborhood has some long stretches and curves and descents/climbs i can attack in 10 minutes.
I paid $800 for the 2010. Shifting felt smoother on the Allez...maybe b/c of the Tiagra v. Sora.

They could've got an '09 but would've taken a while plus they couldn't get the black. To be honest, I like the look of the Allez better.

I was actually all set to get the Defy until I found a shop that carried Specialized and I rode the Allez and it was all over after that.

I also rode a GT GTR 4 (I've had good luck with GT MTB) and a Schwinn Fastback and niether compared.
Old 09-22-09, 09:21 AM
str8jakett
I pedal in my sleep...

again, thanks...and here's more fine tuned question.

that said, since i am on the cusp of 'fitting' the M or the M/L frame, i assume the latter is a bit more 'comfortable'...but then (of course) heavier.

i assume one's lightness isn't much different than the other's slight weightiness.

nonetheless, endurance is fine...i want to ride some distances at a nice pace. leaning towards the M
I don't think weight is really going to be your focal point with this bike (or the Allez). Like you will see on here posted many times, the first bike is just a step to deciding what you want in your next bike. The comfort you experience on either size should be the deciding factor. All size charts pointed me towards a 56cm frame, yet it was more comfortable for me to ride the M Defy, or 54cm frame. Does your shop have both sizes in stock for test rides?
Old 09-22-09, 09:59 AM
Snoots

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 5'6" and ride a 54cm Allez. I could do with a shorter stem, and I have the seat moved pretty far forward, but it works. I'd probably go to a 52 on my next bike. For you, the 54 would probably work.
Old 09-22-09, 10:10 AM
Fuzzo84

Bikes: Specialized Allez (the new one) Raleigh M45 mtn bike (the ole work horse)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got my allez earlier this summer, my first road bike too. I love it it rides great, no worries, plenty of speed and responsiveness for me. I am 6' with a 32" inseam and ride a size 56. Only suggestion I would make is to switch out the pedals to go clipless, I gained much more comfort and a couple mph on my average speed after making the switch
Old 09-22-09, 11:18 AM
UBUvelo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I paid $800 for the 2010. Shifting felt smoother on the Allez...maybe b/c of the Tiagra v. Sora.

They could've got an '09 but would've taken a while plus they couldn't get the black. To be honest, I like the look of the Allez better.

I was actually all set to get the Defy until I found a shop that carried Specialized and I rode the Allez and it was all over after that.

I also rode a GT GTR 4 (I've had good luck with GT MTB) and a Schwinn Fastback and niether compared.
that's another concern...if these older '09 models aren't in stock at the LBS, are they simply gone? or does it depend on the store and their ability to order remaining warehouse-bound '09 models (whatever the brand)?

i actually looked at and stood over an Allez Sport (too expensive, tho) and the Defy 3, but i was just doing a preliminary look and inquiry. i was thinking i'd have to call all dealers in a 50mile radius if they had them in stock.
Old 09-22-09, 11:28 AM
rmb339

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that's another concern...if these older '09 models aren't in stock at the LBS, are they simply gone? or does it depend on the store and their ability to order remaining warehouse-bound '09 models (whatever the brand)?

i actually looked at and stood over an Allez Sport (too expensive, tho) and the Defy 3, but i was just doing a preliminary look and inquiry. i was thinking i'd have to call all dealers in a 50mile radius if they had them in stock.
Yeah it might be a little difficult to get an '09.

Specialized changed around the names of the bikes. The '10 Allez Sport is essentially a '09 Allez. They have a '10 Allez which is a level below the Allez '09.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...Allez&eid=4350
Old 09-22-09, 11:32 AM
cshell
In the dark

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Snoots
I'm 5'6" and ride a 54cm Allez. I could do with a shorter stem, and I have the seat moved pretty far forward, but it works. I'd probably go to a 52 on my next bike. For you, the 54 would probably work.
I'm 5' 9".

Was fitted for a new Allez a few months ago. 30" inseam.

I was given the 54cm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.