Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Red rear light; To blink or not to blink?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Red rear light; To blink or not to blink?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-23, 05:18 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
I've been wondering if, instead of rear lights or reflectors, use a mirror. Right here in Bike Forums, there are many discussions about how blinking or not, some drivers get confused. But a mirror would reflect the driver's headlights right back at him making it look as if there's a car headed his way and thereby making the driver take defensive and avoidance action.

Other ideas I've had was to hang a construction worker's hard hat at the back. That would give the impression that I would be one of their own bros if I pickup truck approached me.
Mirror would need to be perfectly aimed at all times. That is why reflectors are used, they do not have to have such perfect aim. If the angle is off by several degrees, they still work.

When it is dark, hold a flashlight next to your head and shine it at reflectors, they return the light straight towards the flashlight.
Old 11-07-23, 09:42 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Another idea I've had was to hang a construction worker's hard hat at the back.
That debunked study of ways to get drivers to give you more room on the road suggested sporting a blonde ponytail worked best. Clip it to your helmet:

Old 11-07-23, 10:11 AM
spclark 

Bikes: 1972 Motobecane Grand Record, 2022 Kona Dew+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
That debunked study of ways to get drivers to give you more room on the road suggested sporting a blonde ponytail worked best.
Debunked I suspect 'cause there's enuf unhappy wimmin out there now who'd target that PT thinking it was a guy just letting it grow long.

You don't pay attention to what's behind you these days you shouldn't leave your abode. It ain't the '50's anymore, Bunkie. None of us are 100% safe anymore.
Old 11-07-23, 10:53 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
That debunked study of ways to get drivers to give you more room on the road suggested sporting a blonde ponytail worked best. Clip it to your helmet:
Starting half a decade ago, I start putting the ACA triangle on the back of my bike when on a bike tour, even when it is not an ACA trip. And on my tour in 2019, one day I put it on my left pannier instead of centered over my rack back, and within hours I was thinking that the cars seemed to be giving me an extra foot of room to the left. Ever since then I only put it on the left pannier.

It is very obvious in overcast, above. On the trip above I used Carradry rear panniers.

On the trip below, I used Ortlieb panniers with their rackpack, still put the triangle on the left.

Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 11-07-23, 01:14 PM
spclark 

Bikes: 1972 Motobecane Grand Record, 2022 Kona Dew+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 107 Posts
SMART!

Maybe some enterprising clothing manufacturer will start putting that on jacket / windbreaker / jersey backs?

ACA... s'not the same as the older SMV signage?
Old 11-07-23, 08:10 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs

I would think that would increase the harrassment from drivers of pickup trucks.