Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Red rear light; To blink or not to blink?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-23, 02:30 PM
gpsblake
Walmart bike rider

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts

In your opinion, which is better or easier to be seen?

Multiple blinky lights or just one?
Old 08-12-23, 02:42 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
Pulse. I prefer a steady & a second that pulses.
Old 08-12-23, 03:01 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Strobe Best

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 08-12-23 at 03:02 PM. Reason: addd pic
Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 08-12-23, 06:15 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Daytime, blink. Night time, constant on.

You can't get any depth perception on a blinking light, but a constant on light, you can get an idea on how far away it is. I want drivers behind me to be able to estimate where I am. If they are seeing a strobe light, they have no clue where I am.

Fog or heavy overcast, often use two blinkers to get their attention.

Above is pertinent to taillights only.
Old 08-12-23, 06:19 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
I put my rear on strobe. When I'm driving, I seem to notice a bike with a strobe sooner.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 08-12-23, 10:58 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
I usually run one on each seat stay(one of those is the dyno taillight) and another on the helmet. Not blinking unless I'm on the highway ("Hey, I'm a bike").
Old 08-13-23, 01:37 AM
Eyes Roll

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 49 Posts
IMO, blinking light(s) get relatively more attention than non-blinking light(s). Also, the color of rear lights is typically red, symbolizing stop or danger, and a flashing red light serves to alert or caution motorists approaching from behind.

I always have two rear lights in red in blinking mode attached to my bike basket. I have the same make of rear lights.

Likes For Eyes Roll:
Old 08-13-23, 06:39 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN

You can't get any depth perception on a blinking light, but a constant on light, you can get an idea on how far away it is. I want drivers behind me to be able to estimate where I am. If they are seeing a strobe light, they have no clue where I am.
This isn’t true.

Their headlights should be illuminating by the time that depth perception matters anyway.

You could also use two lights: one constant and one flashing.

Last edited by njkayaker; 08-13-23 at 07:09 AM.
Old 08-13-23, 07:08 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by gpsblake

Two certainly.

============================

Flashing versus constant rear lights.

You want to register as a cyclist from a long distance away. Note that I didn’t say “seen”: that’s the first step. You also want the driver to know what you are. The further away this can happen, the longer the amount of time there is to have it happen.

Cycle lights tend to be small, which, obviously works against being noticed from a far distance.

The problem with steady lights is that they they can be hard to see or be interpreted as some sort of not-moving reflector.

Flashing objects are more noticeable from farther away (it’s why they are used on radio towers, etc, etc).

A small flashing light is more likely to be registered as a cyclist (because that’s generally what is using them on the roadway). This is a big advantage of flashing lights that naysayers don’t mention.

People frequently chime in with the “estimating trajectory” or “depth perception” stuff but they don’t realize either it’s not really an issue or it doesn’t matter. This bad because it encourages people from using the better flashing light.

The point of a light is to be noticed from a longer distance before where these could start mattering. By the time/distance they could matter, the car headlights are illuminating you.

The “trajectory” issue is more so for things that are crossing in front. With cyclists, the driver is coming up from behind (there’s no crossing). Anyway, to a large degree, drivers are seeing cyclists as not or barely moving.

There is nothing specific that suggests drivers have special perception issues with the flashing lights used by cyclist. There are indications where there could be issues, like for flying, but they might not be relevant. At the distances you want the rear lights to be working, small constant lights have similar problems with “trajectory” and “depth perception”.

If you believe there are these problems with flashing lights, you could use on constant and one flashing.

The purpose for rear lights is to be noticed for a long distance and time away as possible. The purpose is not for negotiation around you (the car headlights are for that purpose).

If you are riding in a group, flashing lights can irritate other riders, especially at night. (It’s not that uncommon for cyclists to have their rear light angle up, which makes them more annoying for following cyclists and makes the light less effective.)

Pulsing might be less irritating to other riders but, if it’s too slow, it might have an effect close to being constant.

That car rear lights are constant is no argument that constant would be better for cyclists. Car rear lights are much, much larger for one. Also, cars are also much more common (all of them flashing would be awful).

Keep in mind that nothing is perfect.

Last edited by njkayaker; 08-13-23 at 07:37 AM.
Old 08-13-23, 08:00 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
which do you notice more? I notice blue and red flashing lights more than steady on red lights. The other day on the interstate I could see a set of blue and red flashing lights far up the road and I noticed everybody's brake lights were coming on and they were merging over to the passing lane while slowing to the speed limit (this was in an 80mph zone where everybody drives 90mph) I kid you not it was a guy on a bike that had red and blue flashing lights on the back of his bike. freaking genius.
Likes For jadmt:
Old 08-13-23, 08:19 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
You want to register as a cyclist from a long distance away.
Pedal lights, or, pedal reflectors.
Likes For tcs:
Old 08-13-23, 03:55 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by tcs
Pedal lights, or, pedal reflectors.
These are a good idea too but they need headlights to work. So, they aren't sufficient. (Note that it's generally a legal requirement to have a rear light at night.)

They can be dim. Also, many people don't have pedals that will accommodate them.

These are the same idea as pedal reflectors but brighter (much brighter) and work for any pedal. You do have to remember to put them on. But they work in all directions (unlike pedal reflectors).

https://www.amazon.com/Jogalite-Cros...s%2C115&sr=8-2

There are two general types of reflective material (used like this). This works when wet. The other, which looks gray in marketing material doesn't work when wet.

Last edited by njkayaker; 08-19-23 at 10:42 AM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 08-13-23, 04:02 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by jadmt
which do you notice more? I notice blue and red flashing lights more than steady on red lights. The other day on the interstate I could see a set of blue and red flashing lights far up the road and I noticed everybody's brake lights were coming on and they were merging over to the passing lane while slowing to the speed limit (this was in an 80mph zone where everybody drives 90mph) I kid you not it was a guy on a bike that had red and blue flashing lights on the back of his bike. freaking genius.
Blue flashing lights might not be legal.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 08-13-23, 04:13 PM
jadmt

Originally Posted by njkayaker
Blue flashing lights might not be legal.
no doubt, but on a busy road I would take my chances with getting stopped. what is the old saying better judged by 12 than carried by 6
Likes For jadmt:
Old 08-13-23, 04:24 PM
njkayaker

no doubt, but on a busy road I would take my chances with getting stopped. what is the old saying better judged by 12 than carried by 6
Note that I didn't say not to do it. It also might have the potential to piss drivers off.
Old 08-13-23, 06:30 PM
bikelif3

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by gpsblake

I use a rear blue and red blinking light on a medium, non-seizure inducing setting. I like fooling cars into thinking I'm a cop ahead of them. Legal in my state from my reading of statutes. Have been passed by many cops with no problem.

Front lights, blinking or steady can be VERY annoying. I would only use steady front lights at night, when needed. Never front blinking lights.
Likes For bikelif3:
Old 08-13-23, 06:50 PM
Eyes Roll

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by bikelif3
I use a rear blue and red blinking light on a medium, non-seizure inducing setting. I like fooling cars into thinking I'm a cop ahead of them. Legal in my state from my reading of statutes. Have been passed by many cops with no problem.

Front lights, blinking or steady can be VERY annoying. I would only use steady front lights at night, when needed. Never front blinking lights.
The red rear light is widely recognized as the standard choice globally. Have you observed anyone else using blue and red blinking lights on the back of their bicycles? Or, to the best of your knowledge, are you the only one employing this setup? I am aware of individuals being pulled over by police officers for utilizing blinking lights on their cars that resemble those used by law enforcement, resulting in arrests and citations for impersonating officers, which is a serious offense. In the city where I reside, police officers patrol certain sections of downtown on bicycles.

It looks and sounds cool, but you don't want to get yourself into trouble for impersonating cops. You double check it with a cop or lawyer and make sure that you are absolutely certain as to what you are doing.
Old 08-13-23, 06:50 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
I blink during the day and go solid at night, But that's situational. In the city I'd flash at night but riding on country roads with a lot of trees the blinking light bounces of them in way that's distracting to drivers. But that's with a good bright light. With a lower lumen light I might still flash.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 08-13-23, 07:02 PM
bikelif3

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Eyes Roll
It looks and sounds cool, but you don't want to get yourself into trouble for impersonating cops. You double check it with a cop or lawyer and make sure that you are absolutely certain as to what you are doing.
"Impersonating a cop" = Flashing cop lights on a car, going up to a vehicle with cop-like clothing.

There's nothing wrong with fooling drivers to drive more safely than they would otherwise, especially when I'm on the road with them....
Likes For bikelif3:
Old 08-14-23, 05:24 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Here's an interesting bit of info.
When we were touring in Germany flashing rear lights were Verboten! We were stopped by the police and informed about this. In fact we are leaving for Europe tour #6 in a few weeks and I will say we have never seen flashing lights. One less bit of kit on our bikes as we have dyno hubs and front and rear lights on our bikes.
Old 08-14-23, 05:44 AM
spclark 

Bikes: 1972 Motobecane Grand Record, 2022 Kona Dew+

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 107 Posts
The other day on the interstate I could see a set of blue and red flashing lights far up the road... I kid you not it was a guy on a bike that had red and blue flashing lights on the back of his bike.
What state was this in?

In all the years I've been driving on I-ways I've NEVER seen an entrance ramp w/o a sign stating bicycles are prohibited, along with other varieties of low-speed transport.
Likes For spclark:
Old 08-14-23, 06:10 AM
jadmt

Originally Posted by spclark
What state was this in?

In all the years I've been driving on I-ways I've NEVER seen an entrance ramp w/o a sign stating bicycles are prohibited, along with other varieties of low-speed transport.
it is legal in Montana and I have put 1000's of miles on the I90. I travel to Minnesota a lot and always see bikes on the Interstate in wyoming and both SD and ND.
Likes For jadmt:
Old 08-14-23, 06:14 AM
spclark 

Bikes: 1972 Motobecane Grand Record, 2022 Kona Dew+

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 107 Posts
it is legal in Montana and I have put 1000's of miles on the I90. I travel to Minnesota a lot and always see bikes on the Interstate in wyoming and both SD and ND.
Thanks for that. Last I was in SD was early '80's, yet to get up into ND or west to Montana. Will keep this in mind should I ever get back over that way.
Old 08-14-23, 08:23 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by spclark
What state was this in?

It's not that uncommon in less populated states where the interstates are sometimes the only practical way to get some place.

Bicycles are allowed on Route 10 west of Cabazon in California because it's the only way through the pass.

Bicycles are allowed on parts of the Garden State Parkway in NJ (but you need a permit).

Last edited by njkayaker; 08-14-23 at 09:09 AM.
Old 08-14-23, 08:25 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by bikelif3

What state is that? Anyway, no one should trust "your reading" of the statutes.

Last edited by njkayaker; 08-14-23 at 08:34 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.