Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

What is TOO many gadgets?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-23, 07:17 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts

I just ordered a new front light for my main ride, which already has 2 Ram mounts (1 for smart phone/computer and 1 for GPS unit) Then I have 1 to the left of those for a blinky light and another mounted on the side of the headset for main night riding light. I also have Tektro cross brakes mounted on the bar in front of everything that I can't obstruct and a camera to the right. I have a headlight on the front of my helmet with a wide angle beam, another light with a spot beam on the right side of helmet, a mirror on the left side of helmet, a camera mount dead center top of helmet, a super bright rear breathing light and a weaker blinky light on rear of helmet. Oh, let's not forget the super bright tail light mounted on the bag beneath the seat. The new light that's coming will replace the blinky light up front because it has a daytime blink function that is more powerful and a night time 850 lumens with enough battery power (10000mah) to keep the smart phone going, not that I've ever had a problem with the phone as a computer because it has a 5000mah built in battery that will last 10+ hours with all the apps running=blue tooth cadence and speed sensors not to mention blue tooth mp3 music (a must have because who wants to listen to traffic noise?) A 20# bike, 150# rider, and 200# of electronics. Wife is starting to give me the side eye. What can I say? How about you? Electronic shifting? Wireless? Yeah, there's still a few things to look into haha
Old 10-31-23, 07:28 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 399 Times in 276 Posts
I just ordered a new front light for my main ride, which already has 2 Ram mounts (1 for smart phone/computer and 1 for GPS unit) Then I have 1 to the left of those for a blinky light and another mounted on the side of the headset for main night riding light. I also have Tektro cross brakes mounted on the bar in front of everything that I can't obstruct and a camera to the right. I have a headlight on the front of my helmet with a wide angle beam, another light with a spot beam on the right side of helmet, a mirror on the left side of helmet, a camera mount dead center top of helmet, a super bright rear breathing light and a weaker blinky light on rear of helmet. Oh, let's not forget the super bright tail light mounted on the bag beneath the seat. The new light that's coming will replace the blinky light up front because it has a daytime blink function that is more powerful and a night time 850 lumens with enough battery power (10000mah) to keep the smart phone going, not that I've ever had a problem with the phone as a computer because it has a 5000mah built in battery that will last 10+ hours with all the apps running=blue tooth cadence and speed sensors not to mention blue tooth mp3 music (a must have because who wants to listen to traffic noise?) A 20# bike, 150# rider, and 200# of electronics. Wife is starting to give me the side eye. What can I say? How about you? Electronic shifting? Wireless? Yeah, there's still a few things to look into haha
Old 10-31-23, 08:46 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by SpedFast
No bell?
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 10-31-23, 08:54 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Originally Posted by Rick
Pictures please.
As soon as my new light arrives. Supposed to be here next Monday.
Old 10-31-23, 09:23 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
No bell?
Bells for trails and pedestrians.
Loud horn for drivers.

https://loudbicycle.com/

And you need cameras.
Old 10-31-23, 11:03 PM
SW84

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 78 Posts
Front and rear reflectors. K.I.S.S.
Old 11-01-23, 06:09 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
When you get hit by a car because you were listening to your music and ignoring traffic noise, it's going to be a toss up to take you to the ER or an electronic recycling center.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 11-01-23, 08:00 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Captain Dashboard, eh?

When you can't put your hands where you want them on your bars because there's a mount in the way, that's definitely too many gadgets.

Of course, an auxiliary bar to hold some of those gadgets will help.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 11-01-23, 08:49 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Too many gadgets? That might be like saying too many bikes.

But certainly I appreciate the current one gadget I put on my bars. That's not to say I don't have others elsewhere.
Old 11-01-23, 06:20 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,376 Times in 1,580 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Captain Dashboard, eh?

When you can't put your hands where you want them on your bars because there's a mount in the way, that's definitely too many gadgets.

Of course, an auxiliary bar to hold some of those gadgets will help.
The reference to Captain Dashboard is just begging for an explanation.. at least to anyone who isn't familiar with the Yehuda Moon comic.
I had to browse through the ones that I saved, but here it is...

what a great comic strip!
edit: It looks like the Yehuda Moon comic is still on the web!

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 11-02-23, 11:00 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
"g+1"
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 11-02-23, 12:25 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
I have one of these, use it for touring. Bought mine at Amazon. They are only accurate if you have a precisely constant speed, and the best way to ascertain that your speed is constant is if it is zero.
https://skymounti.com/

You also are lacking the heart rate monitor, which I also use. I use a handlebar mount for mine. This is the one I have, they do not list a price for it so perhaps it is discontinued?
https://sigmasport-shop.com/en/30-idgo
Old 11-02-23, 12:50 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,364 Times in 945 Posts
I have one of these, use it for touring. Bought mine at Amazon. They are only accurate if you have a precisely constant speed, and the best way to ascertain that your speed is constant is if it is zero.
https://skymounti.com/
The cycling Garmins provide the inclination (while moving too). It's not perfect. It's possible that the bubble level works as well or better.

You also are lacking the heart rate monitor, which I also use. I use a handlebar mount for mine. This is the one I have, they do not list a price for it so perhaps it is discontinued?
https://sigmasport-shop.com/en/30-idgo
The cycling (and some other) Garmins do what this does.
Old 11-02-23, 01:08 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
I think g +1 is okay. But maybe when that +1 starts becoming the latest and greatest version of all the stuff you already have, then it's time to seek help. <this is just a retort made in fun, don't take it seriously>

Last edited by Iride01; 11-03-23 at 07:32 AM.
Old 11-02-23, 06:43 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Originally Posted by Iride01
I think g +1 is okay. But maybe when that +1 starts becoming the latest and greatest version of all the stuff you already have, then it's time to seek help.
I don't need the latest and greatest, but new gadgets seem to motivate me to ride so I can use them haha. I buy tires long before I need them and then get impatient to put them on and try them out so now I have a bunch of half worn tires lying around. Pics of bike are forthcoming, but I want to get the newest light mounted first. Monday seems like a long way away....
Old 11-06-23, 04:22 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7350 Post(s)
Liked 2,475 Times in 1,438 Posts
I define too many gadgets when they are an impediment. I've thought about action cameras, power meters, etc, and (1) the value they would provide me is minimal, and more importantly, (2) life is already complicated. I already take a few minutes to get ready before I start pedaling and another few minutes when I stop.

Life is complicated:
- When I'm wearing long trousers, I have to put on trouser bands or tuck my trousers into my socks.
- I have to charge my headlight every night because while it might last two nights or more, I can't trust myself. Having a discharged headlight is a serious problem.
- I have to charge my taillight every month but when did I last do it? And now I have a more powerful taillight so how often do I have to charge it? I don't know.
- remember my water bottle, tool kit (attached to my saddle)
- carry my lock and remember the key

And so on.

And this is why I love a dynamo-powered headlight. I know we all have lots of things to charge regularly, and we manage to remember most of the time, but the headlight is more important than most others. It's more than just one fewer thing to worry about, because a discharged cell phone or a discharged taillight is not as bad as a discharged headlight. Taillights don't need frequent charging, either, since they use so much less power than headlights do.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-06-23, 07:24 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

My new light arrived too late to get it mounted. The wind and rain didn't help matters either, as my bike work station is outside. Hopefully tomorrow the weather will improve and I can get it up and running. The light is definitely bright. So much brighter than what I have currently. I'm going to take it outside and test it against my existing. Below is pic of my work stand. I am a true shade tree mechanic
Old 11-07-23, 07:56 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Originally Posted by Rick
Pictures please.
Okay Rick, here you go. Just bear in mind, I don't use all these at the same time. IE: the GPS only comes out when I'm Geocaching. The camera only comes out for day rides (useless at night) and all the forward facing lights on the helmet only get put on for night rides. Pics aren't the best, I'm not much of a photographer, sorry.

Old 11-07-23, 09:15 PM
Paul_P

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
Okay Rick, here you go. [ ... ] and all the forward facing lights on the helmet only get put on for night rides.
How many forward lights do you have on your helmet ?

From the front, it looks like 3 or 4, but from the back it looks like somewhere between 9 and 12 ...
+ three rear-facing helmet lights ?

I'm not at all saying there are too many, I'm just impressed.
Old 11-07-23, 10:05 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Nope. My bikes get:

A rear blinkie.
CX levers (one bike)
Computer mount (same bike - it gets used for the trainer)
Permanent headlight mount (same bike)
Rear rack (same bike)
LowRider rack (same bike and my workhorse fix gear)
Kryptonite mount (ditto)

So 4 of my 6 bikes have just tape and brake levers on the bars. And plenty of space to put my hands wherever I want. Helmet has a permanent mirror.

Instead of huge numbers of lights, I've used colors. I wear very bright jersey much of the time. These short days a bright orange jersey with big grey Scotchlight patches. That bike with al the stuff has hybrid with yellow fenders (and often yellow Ortlieb panniers). The workhorse fix gear goes stealth. It wears a sky blue powdercoat (a very common stock color) and the same blue 3M reflecting tape; an entire roll. At night it lights up in a very uusual color. People take notice. Daytime you don't even see it.

And when needed, I'll ride with a NiteRider 1100 and its removable mount on whatever bike needs it. Also an orange cycling vest with flashers sewn to the side straps so they sit at the forward corners of my hips. Aimed at left turning on-coming traffic and cars pulling out of side streets. Effective, simple and light.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 11-08-23, 10:54 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Originally Posted by Paul_P
How many forward lights do you have on your helmet ?

From the front, it looks like 3 or 4, but from the back it looks like somewhere between 9 and 12 ...
+ three rear-facing helmet lights ?

I'm not at all saying there are too many, I'm just impressed.
2 forward facing on the helmet. 2 red tail lights on the helmet. Mirror and camera on helmet (camera is in insulated case to prevent it interfering with GPS).1 red tail light on tool bag beneath seat and now the main forward light on handlebars and a blinking light on head stem. Blinking lite for day riding, but lately most of my riding is at night (after dark- less peoply out there)
Likes For SpedFast: