Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Ciocc Identification

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Ciocc Identification

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-23, 05:21 PM
Yelbom15

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 46 Posts
Ciocc Identification

I have a bike here a coworker handed me. I don’t know Ciocc very well so hoping someone can help me.

No Columbus identification sticker.
No stamp on either drop outs.
Campagnolo Victory drive train.
Modolo Calipers & Levers.
Cinelli Seat
Cinelli Stem & Handlebar
Campagnolo Wheelset
Campagnolo Victory Seat Post

I assume this is sort of a bottom of the barrel model?

Thank you.

Likes For Yelbom15:
Old 04-26-23, 11:35 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,065 Times in 789 Posts
Hmmm...at first I expected to see one of the commonplace Aelle frames/complete bikes sold by TSD...but then this BB shell threw me.
That 'strap' brazed across the two-oval-slots BB shell is something more often seen on Pinarellos (not like this frame is a Pino) but never seen it before on any legit Ciocc.
What size seat post?
And can you take a clear close-up of the (no-name) DOs?
Old 04-27-23, 01:09 AM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 931 Posts
Shares a few similarities with this one: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ano-600-a.html

Not that a model name was put forward.
Old 04-27-23, 02:57 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2460 Post(s)
Liked 3,172 Times in 1,999 Posts
Your co-worker is very kind.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 04-27-23, 07:52 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2331 Post(s)
Liked 5,020 Times in 1,786 Posts

WOW, love the paint job! Can't help much with answers though but I am a sucker for a red, white, and blue bike.

If that was a 55/56 cm bike I'd be trying to talk you out of it.

I do remember seeing something about the format of the CIOCC details at least helping to date them. Mine had the multi-color "C" for the first letter which is something they did in the early 90s. I just went and read back through my old post on the CIOCC but didn't see anything really useful.

I had a Victory groupset like that on my mid 80's Colnago so maybe keep looking into mid 80' s CIOCC to see if you can find a match?

On the Victory parts, mine worked like crap at first. Then I took them all off, disassembled everything I could, degreased, cleaned, relubed, etc., and then reinstalled using modern cables and housings. Made a 100% difference in shifting quality and easily rivaled by all time fav Superbe setup for friction shifting performance.

You struck gold there in my book.
Old 04-27-23, 08:02 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2331 Post(s)
Liked 5,020 Times in 1,786 Posts
A couple of catalogs I had the links too. They seem to be the same as the one one's on Bulgier.net.

https://labibleduvelocataloguesciocc...iocc-1977.html

CATALOGUES CIOCC: CIOCC 198X
Old 04-27-23, 10:47 AM
Hobbiano 

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 230 Posts
The Campy parts look like Triomphe rather than Victory to me. The Victory crank spider arms were a straight taper out to the chainrings, where as the Triomphe arms tapered in then back out as they approached the chainrings. The Victory shifters had parallel sides to the lever - Triomphe had a slight taper. Those do look like Victory pedals, slightly narrower and the cleat plate is a separate piece riveted to the pedal body, compared to Triomphe's wider, one piece integrated pedal body and cleat plate. Derailleur's were slightly different but hard to see in your picture. Victory (rd) had slightly shorter aluminum cage and Triomphe had a steel cage. Victory had an adjustable plastic B-stop piece and Triomphe was non-adjustable. The finish was anodized on the Victory, polished on Triomphe.

Looks like a nice bike!

Last edited by Hobbiano; 04-30-23 at 03:56 PM. Reason: pedal info correction
Likes For Hobbiano:
Old 04-28-23, 12:22 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,065 Times in 789 Posts
Originally Posted by P!N20
Shares a few similarities with this one: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ano-600-a.html

Not that a model name was put forward.
similar but also different. That's the one I think of as the "typical" budget model (whatever they called it) they almost all have this paint scheme and speculation has been they are Aelle (but could be another budget Columbus tubing).
However I think T-Mar and others who point out the style the OP shows might have been specific to the Jon Boyer importing era could be that these were contract-bulit by another supplier (other than the Bonati-Conti factory that shipped to Ten Speed Drive in the US).
Very hard to nail it all down except the seat post might determine if it's Aelle or Cromor, at least.
Likes For unworthy1: