Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Stronglight BB Confusion

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Stronglight BB Confusion

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-23, 11:29 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,801 Times in 2,285 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

a) something is clearly not right there. as things sit cup might work loose with use or it may not be properly aligned if for example it were cross threaded.

b) removal will permit examination and measurement

c) if threads have been damaged one solution would be to ream and tap to Italian

d) Stronglight did not offer spindles for 70mm shells so they made the walls of their Italian dimension bottom bracket cups one mm thicker than others

e) in order to preserve the OEM chainline you would want to place a 1.0mm spacer behind the Italian dimension fixed cup prior to mounting
I'm always in awe of @juvela's encyclopedic vintage bicycle knowledge.
Old 01-15-23, 11:36 AM
dukeofearl 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
But was that a Stronglight octagonal cup? Those measure 38mm across the flats, while Campagnolo/Shimano/Sugino two-flat cups are only 36mm across the flats, so a Sugino fixed cup tool is unlikely to fit the octagonal cup.
Yeah it measures 37.6mm so seems like a Stronglight. 38mm wrench was too big so going to try a 12 point socket
Old 01-15-23, 11:37 AM
dukeofearl 

Originally Posted by gugie
I'm always in awe of @juvela's encyclopedic vintage bicycle knowledge.
Rereading this makes me think I’m out of my element here! 😬
Old 01-15-23, 11:40 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,801 Times in 2,285 Posts
Originally Posted by dukeofearl
Oh no, that's one of the big reasons to be here - the amount of knowledge from the "BITD" contingent always amazes me.
Old 01-15-23, 03:05 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,386 Times in 3,671 Posts
But was that a Stronglight octagonal cup? Those measure 38mm across the flats, while Campagnolo/Shimano/Sugino two-flat cups are only 36mm across the flats, so a Sugino fixed cup tool is unlikely to fit the octagonal cup.
Couple of things John, I was referring to the rig/setup in general and that the PX-10 had a standard BSA cup forced into it and my removal setup got it out so I could restore it to french and install an original Stronglight BB once again.

I got the offending cup out, scribed the threads clean with a right angle pick and then used an old French DS cup that I slotted for a chaser I used with anti seize, it worked great and the BB holds a French cup with full torque now.
Likes For merziac:
Old 01-15-23, 03:11 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Yeah it measures 37.6mm so seems like a Stronglight. 38mm wrench was too big so going to try a 12 point socket
Please make sure you grind it flat on the face that engages the flats so it gets the most contact it can.
Likes For merziac:
Old 01-15-23, 03:14 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by gugie
Oh no, that's one of the big reasons to be here - the amount of knowledge from the "BITD" contingent always amazes me.

Exactly this, you gotta know what you don't know to be able to figure out how to know what you don't know.
Old 01-15-23, 03:32 PM
El Chaba

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 566 Times in 197 Posts
I am confident that I could get that cup out of there with this tool. However, I agree with everybody that the whole situation is a puzzle.

Old 01-17-23, 05:45 PM
dukeofearl 

I appreciate the encouragement and advice! I decided to try the Sheldon method and have run into an issue and I’m guessing I’m not the first person to encounter this. The bolt just keeps spinning and never catches. Any tips?
Old 01-17-23, 06:20 PM
merziac

I appreciate the encouragement and advice! I decided to try the Sheldon method and have run into an issue and I’m guessing I’m not the first person to encounter this. The bolt just keeps spinning and never catches. Any tips?
Can we have current good/very good pic inside and out without the bolts in place plz?
Old 01-17-23, 08:07 PM
dukeofearl 

not sure i'm going to be able to easily remove this bolt. i do have a before pic from the outside...

Old 01-17-23, 10:20 PM
merziac

@dukeofearl

So I can't see if you have lock washers on the inside, looks like no on the outside, the problem with them is they can gall the cup bearing surface but can also sometimes get the purchase too.
Old 01-18-23, 07:10 AM
dukeofearl 

Originally Posted by merziac
@dukeofearl

So I can't see if you have lock washers on the inside, looks like no on the outside, the problem with them is they can gall the cup bearing surface but can also sometimes get the purchase too.
there’s one regular washer on the outside and 4 lock washers on the inside, which I think is the sheldon recommendation
Old 01-18-23, 12:20 PM
merziac

there’s one regular washer on the outside and 4 lock washers on the inside, which I think is the sheldon recommendation
Ok, well I guess I would try only one on each side and get an air impact on it if you can't get it to lock up and come off with hand tools.

The socket plan will hinge on being able to hang onto the frame without damaging it which is a challenge if the tool can't be clamped on somehow.

I applaud your patience as that is the only way through this with a good outcome, realize it is a pita and hope you get there.
Old 01-18-23, 04:55 PM
dukeofearl 

thanks! rapidly losing patience over here. i have another bike to ride in the meantime but this is getting crazy. i will keep trying but may need to remove the sheldon bolt - which isn't going to be easy - and go at it with a dremel, very carefully. yikes. i think i can get a socket inside the bb if i remove the rivets holding on the serial number plate.

i wish i was 100% confident that it's english threaded. i'd feel slightly better if i knew for sure i was at least turning it the right way.
Old 01-18-23, 08:09 PM
dukeofearl 

well look at that!

Likes For dukeofearl:
Old 01-18-23, 08:34 PM
merziac

well look at that!

Bravo!

I suspected the lock washers were not down inside the cup and not biting into the cup inside the bearing track.

The question now is can you restore the BB threads, have a cup to use and will it work.

The cartridge BB's are the go to for this but it will still need good threads to work and lock the retaining rings in place.

I get right down close and scribe whatever threads are left with a right angle pick then chase with an old cup I slot with a small Dremel cutoff wheel or a sharp triangle file

I scribe from the inside working outward, going mm by mm, digging in as I go and have never failed to restore one.
Old 01-18-23, 08:45 PM
dukeofearl 

Originally Posted by merziac
Bravo!

I suspected the lock washers were not down inside the cup and not biting into the cup inside the bearing track.

The question now is can you restore the BB threads, have a cup to use and will it work.

The cartridge BB's are the go to for this but it will still need good threads to work and lock the retaining rings in place.

I get right down close and scribe whatever threads are left with a right angle pick then chase with an old cup I slot with a small Dremel cutoff wheel or a sharp triangle file

I scribe from the inside working outward, going mm by mm, digging in as I go and have never failed to restore one.
i was worried about that. will try the pick technique 🤞 plan to go for a un55/un300 or velo orange.
Likes For dukeofearl:
Old 01-20-23, 07:46 AM
John D
Not so New

Bikes: I haven't counted lately

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 31 Posts
Congratulations, so is the cup left or right hand threaded?
Old 01-20-23, 11:08 PM
sbarner 
Paramount Fan

Bikes: Paramounts, Raleigh Pros, Colnago, DeRosa, Gios, Masis, Pinarello, R. Sachs, Look, D. Moulton, Witcomb, Motobecane, Bianchis, Fat City, Frejus, Follis, Waterford, Litespeed, d'Autremont, others, mostly '70s-'80s

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 133 Posts
I have a tool from Kingsbridge, I think, which is my last resort option. It clamps down on both faces of the cup and you turn the side that will tighten the tool in the direction you want it to go. It has a fine thread, so it cinches quite tightly against the cup. Most often, though, I will use a large adjustable wrench that I can tighten right down against the flats and I hold it in place with a collection of a bolt, spacers and washers, and a freewheel body that I use to hold the wrench from slipping out. The nice thing about using a freewheel body is that it can turn with the wrench, while being so large that it keeps the wrench from camming off. I also have a steel, solid-axle Shimano hub that I cut in half and which works great to hold a flat wrench against a fixed cup. These methods are only used if the cup won't loosen using standard tools and won't fit a Campy shop fixed cup tool. I should buy a VAR or a Park, but the other methods work and I only run into this type of problem a few times a year.
Old 01-21-23, 08:18 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by sbarner
I have a tool from Kingsbridge, I think, which is my last resort option. It clamps down on both faces of the cup and you turn the side that will tighten the tool in the direction you want it to go. It has a fine thread, so it cinches quite tightly against the cup.
This one?

Other shop-quality versions of this tool were also available, e.g. from Zeus:
Old 01-21-23, 09:59 AM
sbarner 
Paramount Fan

Bikes: Paramounts, Raleigh Pros, Colnago, DeRosa, Gios, Masis, Pinarello, R. Sachs, Look, D. Moulton, Witcomb, Motobecane, Bianchis, Fat City, Frejus, Follis, Waterford, Litespeed, d'Autremont, others, mostly '70s-'80s

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 133 Posts
This one?

Other shop-quality versions of this tool were also available, e.g. from Zeus:
Mine is more similar to the Zeus one, but the idea is the same for all. There can be some slippage, and it can mark up the face of the cup a little, but it's pretty hard to get much of a view of any fixed cup once the crank is installed, so any marks don't show. The tool is tough enough that you can reef down as hard as you need to with large wrenches to get it tight enough that it stops slipping. Its outstanding feature is that it works with pretty much any fixed cup. The longer end goes through the BB shell. Once you have cinched it down, you put the wrench on the long end to remove French or Italian cups, or the short end to remove British or Swiss cups.
Old 01-21-23, 11:20 AM
dukeofearl 

Originally Posted by John D
Congratulations, so is the cup left or right hand threaded?
turned out to be left hand threaded after all (though it kind of looks rh when i eyeball it 😵‍&#128171

going to chase it with an english steel cup, i have one around here somewhere, just haven't found it yet. went for a cheap UN300 in case this all doesn't work out. if it does, i'll get something nicer when it wears out.
Old 01-22-23, 12:28 PM
dukeofearl 

i think i'm in business. we'll see how it holds but feels good. thanks everyone!
Likes For dukeofearl:
Old 01-22-23, 02:47 PM
Sierra
Uff Da!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 90 Posts
So, I'm a bit confused here.
The fixed cup had the markings for being right hand threaded, but turned out to be left hand threaded.
Do I have that right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.