Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How to Beautify an Uglified Component (Crabon Fibber Edition)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

How to Beautify an Uglified Component (Crabon Fibber Edition)

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-23, 06:26 PM
botty kayer

Bikes: Yes, probably too many but still have a roving eye...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 532 Posts
Drillium Dude excellent, work, second is still better than all bar one , look forward to seeing more when they get done

Even though I was a chlld at the time that era black and gold JPS Lotus, was all across the TV back then and was etched on brain as being cool as hell then, and it still is today.
Likes For botty kayer:
Old 03-03-23, 06:29 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Very cool DD, that is weight weenie heaven!!
Likes For OldsCOOL:
Old 03-03-23, 06:37 PM
botty kayer

Bikes: Yes, probably too many but still have a roving eye...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 532 Posts
And luckily the saddle fail didn't cause me to hit the deck, I veered wildly on a road that thankfully was not busy with traffic of people. The ride home hovering over the spikes of doom kept the heart racing for a while though. It made such a noise at the time I'd thought I'd done something catastrophic to the ti Marckx I was riding, so in the end losing just a saddle didn't seem so bad.

I stupidly threw all the bits away though, not knowing there are top notch rebuilders out there that could maybe have given it the kiss of life.
Likes For botty kayer:
Old 03-03-23, 09:57 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Perhaps given all the model car paint stuff, DD will forgive me for revealing that you can fake carbon fiber by starting with solid black and spraying metallic graphite paint through a mask of shelf liner. I learned this as an airbrush trick for R/C car bodies (where you do the masked graphite first)
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 03-04-23, 03:55 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by botty kayer

Drillium Dude excellent, work, second is still better than all bar one , look forward to seeing more when they get done

Even though I was a chlld at the time that era black and gold JPS Lotus, was all across the TV back then and was etched on brain as being cool as hell then, and it still is today.
Thanks!

There will be more F1 content when I wrap this up, but yeah - I was also glued to my TV on the rare occasion (back in the Dark Ages of limited F1 coverage available in the Colonies) a Grand Prix was televised. Damn good times

DD
Old 03-04-23, 03:59 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by OldsCOOL

Very cool DD, that is weight weenie heaven!!
Thank you! I probably added a little more weight with the 4 layers of paint on the underside, but that'll be offset this afternoon when I remove the 1/8" of excess CF from the non-dive side of the nose

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 03-04-23, 04:14 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by botty kayer

...and luckily the saddle fail didn't cause me to hit the deck...the ride home hovering over the spikes of doom kept the heart racing for a while though.

I stupidly threw all the bits away though, not knowing there are top notch rebuilders out there that could maybe have given it the kiss of life.
Good news, Botty! Similarly, I didn't suffer injury in my experience, either, but like you, the ride home was long and stress-inducing - I had to pedal standing up for about 15 miles, with the carbon shell tucked inside my jersey!

I'm sure somebody out there besides myself repairs these beautiful, classic (they are at least 20 years old, after all) saddles. But if not, perhaps I can help someone at some point. I'll be adding tags to my Flickr pics of the process; perhaps the additional exposure might be seen by someone with a saddle they'd like to restore to original condition. Wish I could get replacement logos, tho.

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 03-04-23, 04:18 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty

Perhaps given all the model car paint stuff, DD will forgive me for revealing that you can fake carbon fiber by starting with solid black and spraying metallic graphite paint through a mask of shelf liner. I learned this as an airbrush trick for R/C car bodies (where you do the masked graphite first).
He's right, you know

However, I'm lazy these days and plump for correspondingly-scaled CF decal sheets. These, used in conjunction with Micro Sol and Micro Set decal solutions really add to the realism of anything 1/20th scale or larger.

Once I'm done with this project, it's back to my current build: a Tameo superkit of Niki Lauda's 1975 Championship-winning Ferrari 312T - in 1/43rd scale.

DD
Old 03-04-23, 05:58 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by chain_whipped

Love it, sir! Was curious of this thread topic, clicked along and what a surprise.

Much remembrance. Gilles mastered the sport under turmoil and pressures of Ferrari team politics and racecars. And could wring them out in the rain! Such the era and huge loss.

Also his son Jacques, raced snowmobiles alongside a friend, professionally. Then by coincidence, and later when Jacques raced in CART, my brother was on that team- Player's.

Anyways, the saddle is really neat.

PS. Speaking of other great racing greats and cycling, Ayrton Senna at the time of his passing was involved in contracts with private labeled Audi in marketing bikes. Might be a bit fuzzy and don't hold me as accurate, but I think it was through potential deal with Carrera bicycles.
Good deal - I'm happy to know there's at least a couple fans of F1 following the thread - and one particular member who's also a fan of the legend that is Gilles Villeneuve

That's pretty cool that you have a distant connection to him in your friend and brother. How cool is that? When I first heard Jacques was going racing, it was when he was competing in Japanese F3000; never did I dream he'd go on to win the Indy 500, and subsequently the F1 World Championship when he changed disciplines. But then again, considering his father's talents, it seems natural Jacques inherited something of that burning desire to race - and win.

There will be more F1/GV content - after all, both inspired this exercise - when I present the final photos. It might assist those on the fence about this modification in understanding the thought process - not to mention passion - in creating this tribute.

I know Ayrton had numerous irons in the fire beyond F1-related consumer relationships, but I wasn't aware of his connection to marketing in our two-wheeled world. I do know after his death, Ducati produced a Senna version of the Panigale - as close an association with two wheels (vice four) that I was aware of. I'll have to look into the Senna/Audi connection, see what I can find. Thanks for that interesting tidbit!

Thanks for your enthusiastic thumbs-up

DD
Old 03-04-23, 09:27 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Sorry folks, but I did a boo-boo during the final phase. I can fix it, but I have to wait for the clear-coat to cure harder before I feather in and around the error.

It's 95% finished, so there's that

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 03-04-23, 09:55 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Hopefully, this will hold some of you until tomorrow

Gilles Villeneuve over-compensating for the 1981 Ferrari 126CK's lack of proper road-holding; Brazil, 1981:

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 03-04-23, 09:58 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,395 Times in 2,092 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Sorry folks, but I did a boo-boo during the final phase. I can fix it, but I have to wait for the clear-coat to cure harder before I feather in and around the error.

It's 95% finished, so there's that
As when building models, if something doesn't go right, it's time to dial back any idea or notion of time pressure. The process to rectify a small error usually takes 10 times the time and patience of whatever led to it in the first place.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 03-04-23, 10:12 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by cudak888
As when building models, if something doesn't go right, it's time to dial back any idea or notion of time pressure. The process to rectify a small error usually takes 10 times the time and patience of whatever led to it in the first place.

-Kurt
You ain't just whistlin' Dixie, Kurt!

OMG, I had a devil of a time this afternoon applying the decals (partly, I believe, because I laid them down on the bare carbon - if I were to do it again, I'd lay one coat of clear first), because the ones I used were from a pretty old kit (1979), thus a couple came off the backing sheet in pieces - exceedingly small pieces, at that

LOTS of fiddling got them to where I wanted them to be, but it was a bee-yotch, to be sure. However, I did have the opportunity to share in a lengthy conversation about a Huffy (and other bike-related fodder), thus the day balanced out quite nicely

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 03-04-23, 10:27 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Liked 3,552 Times in 1,409 Posts

OMG, I had a devil of a time this afternoon applying the decals (partly, I believe, because I laid them down on the bare carbon - if I were to do it again, I'd lay one coat of clear first), because the ones I used were from a pretty old kit (1979), thus a couple came off the backing sheet in pieces - exceedingly small pieces, at that

LOTS of fiddling got them to where I wanted them to be, but it was a bee-yotch, to be sure. However, I did have the opportunity to share in a lengthy conversation about a Huffy (and other bike-related fodder), thus the day balanced out quite nicely

DD

I dare not show that fancy seat to the Huffy...it will be too jealous! And right now the seat is the least of our many concerns.

But back to the seat - seriously impressive work. I have a firmly cemented admiration of quality work that will almost never be seen, as it is virtually always an indicator as to the quality of the work that can be seen.

Really curious to see this decal that gave you grief - I'm sure it came out stellar. I've done some model kit stuff with the kids (as I used to do it when I was a kid), but I have to take off my 'perfectionist hat' in order to do it, otherwise it will never get finished. Can't wait to see the rest!!!!
Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 03-04-23, 11:02 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,395 Times in 2,092 Posts

DD
I was going to suggest I could do an Illustrator trace and a new decal could be printed and cleared, but I dare say the original is probably a thicker, non-digitized ink transfer. Your call...

-Kurt

Old 03-05-23, 04:15 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

It's officially tomorrow

In February of 1977, I became aware of Formula One. This fortuitous discovery was made via Reader's Digest and the story of Niki Lauda, recounted in RD's monthly 'Drama in Real Life'. This was the story of how Niki crashed and burned at the 1976 German Grand Prix on the Nurburgring. He went into hospital as a result, and at one point his prognosis was so grim, he was read the Last Rites by a Catholic priest. However, the same determination that saw him walk the 1975 F1 World Championship was put to good use, returning to the wheel of his Ferrari at the Italian Grand Prix in Monza just six weeks later. He lost his Championship crown by a solitary point after he abandoned the sodden Japanese Grand Prix at Fuji, considering the rain-swept conditions too dangerous for the F1 cars - not to mention tires - of the time. The following year, he won three races - including the German Grand Prix - on his way to regaining the World Championship for the second time in three years.

This was my introduction to both F1 and the Ferrari Grand Prix team. I began reading anything related to both F1 and Ferrari, and soon enough found that Road & Track magazine had a monthly feature on the Grands Prix; my first season following F1 was 1978, and by then, Niki had departed Ferrari. His replacement? A Canadian named Gilles Villeneuve.

While Niki was analytical and scientific in his approach to racing, Gilles was anything but. He would take the car by the scruff of its neck and wring every bit of performance he could out of it - every single time. He didn't drive with an eye on the Championship, per se, but to win - every single time. He did so on just six occasions, but that was of no importance to me - I simply loved watching this man ply his trade with abandon; I loved to watch him race. He hung it out there every time he was out on the track, and for this passionate approach to F1 he was hands-down the crowd favorite of his era. If he was still running, you had the feeling anything could happen - and frequently did. Winning his first F1 race on home ground in Montreal at the 1978 season-ending Canadian Grand Prix began the fairy-tale of just four years in the top rank. In 1979 he finished second to his Ferrari team-mate Jody Scheckter by a mere 4 points, scoring three three popular victories along the way. 1980 was a barren season for Ferrari and Gilles, while 1981 - with Ferrari's new turbocharged car - yielded two more victories, in Monaco and Spain. In 1982 Gilles turned up for the 1982 season installed in a brand-new concept: the Ferrari 126 C2 - which finally had a superb chassis to match its considerable power.

Tragically, only 4 races into this season, he was killed during qualifying for the Belgian Grand Prix at Zolder. I'll never forget the moment I heard the terrible news, delivered by Brent Musburger in the late afternoon of 8 May, and my visceral reaction: I completely broke down, and was absolutely inconsolable for months. Whenever I read an article or saw a photo of his exploits, tears were never far away. Two years it took to assimilate this loss; Formula One was never again the same for me.

However, inspired first by the successes, trials, and tribulations of Niki Lauda, and subsequently Gilles Villeneuve's amazing, albeit short racing career, I became - and remain to this day - a true, dedicated tifosi. Win or lose; feast or famine; the highest of highs, and the lowest of lows, my support of Ferrari has endured. Today, at the season-opener in Bahrain, I'll be hoping they add yet another victory to their unbeaten record of (currently) 242 Grand Prix wins. Forza Scuderia Ferrari!

And Gilles? He's gone, but not forgotten. The passion for F1 and Ferrari remains, but no driver since has resonated with me the way Gilles did - and never will again.

This is my tribute to the great man (and his team) which so inspired me in my youth:

Gilles: thanks for the memories!

Ferrari: continua buona fortuna!

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 03-16-23 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Speeling sucked. Sorted.
Old 03-05-23, 07:56 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Classy little tribute project, and the results are fantastic, especially that you took the step to do the underside of the shell so nicely. Way to make it your own!
Likes For BFisher:
Old 03-05-23, 09:36 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 787 Posts
^ ditto ^
Likes For unworthy1:
Old 03-05-23, 10:23 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Liked 3,552 Times in 1,409 Posts
Simply stunning
Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 03-05-23, 12:03 PM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,794 Times in 668 Posts
Cool tribute Jeff and very well executed as usual with all your projects.

Bravo!
Likes For northbend:
Old 03-05-23, 12:29 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by BFisher

Classy little tribute project, and the results are fantastic, especially that you took the step to do the underside of the shell so nicely. Way to make it your own!
Thank you, I appreciate that

While I knew what I wanted to do on the top of the shell from the start, the underside was a different story. Originally, I figured I'd clear-coat it, too, but when I realized I had a shade close to the California Burgandy of the Medici, I decided to step it up, and add a little contrast - tho I did always intend to add Gilles' name and number along with the Ferrari shield.

I left the tiny edge as sharp as possible to better demark that contrast. I'm pretty happy with the result, tho tiny voids in the CF did result in a couple-few 'fisheyes', but that's me nitpickin', honestly.

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 03-05-23, 12:31 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by northbend

Cool tribute Jeff and very well executed as usual with all your projects. Bravo!
Thanks for the kind comments, Matt! Too bad this little nod to history didn't help the Scuderia to a victory today in Bahrain, but there's always the next race...

DD
Old 03-05-23, 03:32 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

I took a few shots today in natural light - finally, the metal transfers on the transom pop like I expected them to!

More photos:

Note the finish seems a bit dull at the edges of the 'swallowtail'; I still plan on laying 2 or 3 more coats of clear, which will shine things up a bit - and provide the finish with more longevity. Since this saddle's gonna be a user, the more the merrier.

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 03-16-23 at 11:55 AM. Reason: More fixin' of speeling errors...
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 03-05-23, 04:56 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,382 Times in 3,669 Posts
@Drillium Dude

WOW!, just efn WOW!

This is fantastic, so cool.

I often go down this road in my mind with really severe detail like this, quickly realizing I can't get there, no paint skill at all, I built models as a kid and was ok at paint, good with detail and great overall but never followed through with paint so got horrible at it as time went on.

Screwed up so many projects now that I don't even try, mad respect for those like you.

Encourage you to read "Faster" and "They call me Mister 500" if you haven't.

And while not a practicing fan of F1, I have always been a JPS and Jackie Stewart fan.

Yamaha East sold Nortons and had JPS's that were so cool looking despite being typical problem plagued Nortons.

They were across the street from Gateway Schwinn and next door to Honda Norwest so you could go see JPS's, Elisinore's, Bultaco's and chrome Paramount's circa 73-74 to your hearts content.

I spent a lot of time up there.
Likes For merziac:
Old 03-05-23, 07:00 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 602 Posts
Whaaaaaaaaat? There are no words for this.... this is really awesome, congrats Drillium Dude elagant and striking just like the cars themselves.
Likes For Lattz:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.