Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Ksyrium Elite Upkeep?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Ksyrium Elite Upkeep?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-24, 02:56 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 2,018 Times in 1,114 Posts
Ksyrium Elite Upkeep?

I’m looking at a 2016 bike with Ksyrium Elite wheels for a friend. The bike looks to be in great shape but I have no experience with proprietary wheel parts. Anything to consider regarding future spoke/nipple replacements or other issues?
Old 04-19-24, 04:22 PM
kcjc

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 34 Posts
Depending on your luck and the condition of the wheels, a few replacement spokes? Parts seem still available, although there are not many vendors. https://technicalmanual.mavic.com/te...subfamily=1050. I've been lucky. I never broke a spoke without the wheel being tossed. Mine is still fairly new, only a few thousand miles (<5k?). My Mavic Aksium wheels were a tank and had probably 25k(?) before they were destroyed by a minivan (rear, front is rusting away on trainer duty). The only service needed was a slight true/round after hitting a utility trench cut in the pavement at ~20mph (descending, slight dent on the front; noticed too late for a hop, slammed on the brakes, and only had time to shift weights) and yearly lubrication of the freewheel body (preventive in nature). Good luck.
Old 04-19-24, 04:37 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 841 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 747 Posts
Here's a handy link to have. Never purchased anything from them but seem to have a fair amount of old spares available. Shop by Wheel - RogueMechanic (mavicparts.com)
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 04-19-24, 11:40 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 237 Posts
They're OK wheels, though not especially light or aerodynamic. They tend to hold up OK. Replacement spokes are a PITA to source, but it's possible. There are online sources, and a lot shops will have some spares. The freehubs also benefit from a clean/oil more often than most.
Old 04-20-24, 07:48 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 1,207 Times in 696 Posts
Mavic has recently (re)opened a new USA office and warehouse.
Try mavic support directly. I needed a replacement wheel, nobody had stock, but their US warehouse did.

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 04-21-24, 09:19 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1258 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 715 Posts
Originally Posted by cpach
the freehubs also benefit from a clean/oil more often than most.
qft
Old 04-21-24, 12:08 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
The freehubs are stupid with the nylon bushing which needs frequent cleaning and lubing, otherwise the chain goes slack when coasting at speed and the cranks turn when you walk the bike.

If the spokes are those silly oversize things with the captive nipples which screw into the rim, they're probably all seized by now. Dunno WTF was the point of those ally spokes; they seem more than three times the size of steel spokes, so I can't see how they're any lighter, and they're certainly not aero.
Old 04-22-24, 03:03 AM
hidetaka

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
The freehubs are stupid with the nylon bushing which needs frequent cleaning and lubing, otherwise the chain goes slack when coasting at speed and the cranks turn when you walk the bike.

If the spokes are those silly oversize things with the captive nipples which screw into the rim, they're probably all seized by now. Dunno WTF was the point of those ally spokes; they seem more than three times the size of steel spokes, so I can't see how they're any lighter, and they're certainly not aero.
From my experience the Mavic 'tech' mostly exists to push you into their warm embrace when you need a $10 spoke or a truing. I took my Ksyrium SLS to a local shop and they sent me to the official Mavic one since they didn't want to touch the weird alloy spokes... The stupid plastic bushing is gonna cost me a mint one day too, assuming I don't just bin the wheels instead.
Likes For hidetaka:
Old 04-23-24, 01:17 PM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 848 Times in 411 Posts
I'm riding on 2005 Ksyrium SL Elites and they have never asked for one damned thing. When the bike was in for service last year, I asked the guys to "true 'em up," and they only charged me for one, saying even that one needed almost nothing.
Old 04-23-24, 01:23 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 1,207 Times in 696 Posts
I find it funny that people have troubles h the nylon bushing in the Mavic freehub.

Always makes me wonder.... Wow, just how much do you guys freewheel, maybe try more pedaling!

Barry

BTW... Have you see the freehub rebuild kits?
Old 04-23-24, 05:17 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1568 Post(s)
Liked 1,740 Times in 977 Posts
The freehub is dead easy to pull out and lubricate with mineral oil (which is what Mavic recommends). The spokes are proprietary but you can find used spokes on Ebay all day long. I've had no issues with my set of Ksyrium Elites.
Old 04-23-24, 05:25 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1568 Post(s)
Liked 1,740 Times in 977 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
You are probably thinking of the Mavic CrossRoc wheel, which uses the oversized nut, along with a conventional nipple. The fundamental problem is that the square corners of the nipple would dig into the nut, and causing indents in the nut.
The Mavic Kysyrium has no conventional nipple. The spoke is bulged on both ends, and has no threaded end. On the rim side the oversized nut acts as a collar for the spoke bulge.
Old 04-25-24, 06:59 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
You are probably thinking of the Mavic CrossRoc wheel, which uses the oversized nut, along with a conventional nipple. The fundamental problem is that the square corners of the nipple would dig into the nut, and causing indents in the nut.
The Mavic Kysyrium has no conventional nipple. The spoke is bulged on both ends, and has no threaded end. On the rim side the oversized nut acts as a collar for the spoke bulge.
I have no idea why you're assuming this. I'm speaking explicitly about the oversized ally spokes with the oversized splined captive nipples with an external thread which gets seized in the internal thread of the rims. Seen it on three pairs of Ksyrium ES (every spoke, front and rear), starting about ten years ago when they were less than ten years old.

Another stupid Mavic invention was the wheel system around those carbon spokes... Can't remember the exact details, but I seem to remember a similar seizing issue which I had even less scope to address because it meant putting a lot of torsional load through the spoke before it could break free...