Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

My wife said I could get another bike !!

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

My wife said I could get another bike !!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-16, 07:23 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Congrats on the new bike. These guys from Gainesville, the Gravel Cyclists know where every dirt road in Central Florida is. I've met several of them at gravel events and they are are good folks and incredibly fast. I expect to see a few of them Saturday when my club hosts the Red Clay Ramble gravel ride and race here in middle Georgia. In fact, one of their team won our race last year. I'm sure they would be happy to share some good routes in your area.
Old 08-17-16, 11:20 AM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by SkunkWerX
Congrats!!!
I am also eyeballing the Crossrip, have been for a while and just stumbled on this thread. I need to look at the 3 vs. the LTD, but it's calling my name.
Please give us feedback and initial reaction once you get some miles on it. please and thanks.
Ok and about the LTD,, for your consideration..

The Brakes, My LBS's mech had this to say when I asked about the LTD's cable to hydro brakes,, It has a cable system down to the wheel and there In/on the caliper the hydraulics are activated.

I asked why that setup, He said the only reason he could come up with on his own was that cable damage was easy to repair or replace while out touring far from help, a full on hydro system, well you would have to ride to a bike shop most likely with one brake to get It repaired and bled..

So The LTD's school of thought is that you can have most, say (90%) of the wet brake system performance with the simplicity of repair that goes with cable brakes while,,'Out In The Wild'.
He added, a small weight penalty and the need to clean, lube and adjust cables was why He would not choose It.

I agreed, I can always finish the ride with one brake, front or rear so I wanted the full wet brakes of the Rip 3.

And I think the brakes that come on the Rip 3 are a better shimano part.

His other comment was that the LTD's big chain ring Looked as It had some heft to it., and there was something else different that he considered better on the Rip 3, cannot remember what that was...

I think he viewed the LTD that also had a few lower low end gear Inches with It's different cassette as better suited to loaded bike long distance touring.

Last edited by osco53; 08-17-16 at 11:28 AM.
Old 08-17-16, 11:30 AM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Congrats on the new bike. These guys from Gainesville, the Gravel Cyclists know where every dirt road in Central Florida is. I've met several of them at gravel events and they are are good folks and incredibly fast. I expect to see a few of them Saturday when my club hosts the Red Clay Ramble gravel ride and race here in middle Georgia. In fact, one of their team won our race last year. I'm sure they would be happy to share some good routes in your area.
10-4 that
Old 08-17-16, 11:38 AM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Congrats!!!

I am also eyeballing the Crossrip, have been for a while and just stumbled on this thread. I need to look at the 3 vs. the LTD, but it's calling my name.
Please give us feedback and initial reaction once you get some miles on it. please and thanks.
I will but you must remember, I'm 57 and my last road bike was a Raleigh Super Course back In 1972,, do the math LoL

I have no way to compare it to anything, so any review I do will be,,, a Rookie's point of view.

The bike will remain box stock except for my Spd pedals for at least a few months....
Until I cannot stand the 590 gram EACH 700 x 32c H5 tires n tubes any longer..
( My 27.5 x 2.35 XR 3 and $ out front are between 700 and 800 grams btw... )

The rims are TLR So the bike will be tubeless,,say,,, a week, month maybe ?

Bonty Cxo's in 700 x 34 or 38c are around 350 ish grams or less.

I'm thinking 34 on the back and 38c out front..who knows I may like the H5's
Old 08-17-16, 12:08 PM
cyclintom

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Here is what I did in the same position:

I bought a used virtually brand new Redline Conquest off of Craigslist.
This is a V-brake model and full aluminum including the fork.

I installed disk brakes, since I had a set of disk brake wheels.
I installed everything else Shimano XT. There is little difference between the top three lines of Shimano except finish and repairability. And cyclocrash bikes generally break things so badly that they have to be replaced anyway and Deore and XT are a lot cheaper than XTR.

On mine I put a flat bar because I had a new XT rear derailleur and you cannot shift these with drop bar shifters. If you intend to race you have to set the thing up with drop bars according to the rules. This means 105 and a 28 tooth largest cog.

I have a 32 setup on the back and soon discovered that if you try to climb in the bottom two gears it lifts the front end of these MUCH lighter bikes. This causes the bike to spin and, if you're fast, you bail off and catch the bike.

I complained about this problem to my local bike shop mechanic who is an avid rider and he said that the bottom two gears are NOT for climbing. You use the third gear and push over the top of climbs and then drop down into the bottom gears in order to rest between hard climbs.

I tried this and was 20 minutes ahead of my previous record time before I made the mistake of keeping my whole hand on the disk brake levers instead of just one finger. I hit a rut and did an endo right in front of some poor Hispanic kid who was just learning mountain biking with a full squishy. I hope that me dripping blood and then jumping up and riding away didn't put him off.

I am VERY much against carbon fiber bikes as I've argued elsewhere. But Redline also makes CF cyclocross bikes.

Redline is mostly known for BMX but they REALLY know what they're doing.
Old 08-17-16, 03:31 PM
SkunkWerX

Bikes: Trek DS 8.5 Scott Hybrid Thunderbolt folder '75 Schwinn Varsity '95 Schwinn cruiser '58 Wstrn Flyr...

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by osco53
I will but you must remember, I'm 57 and my last road bike was a Raleigh Super Course back In 1972,, do the math LoL

I have no way to compare it to anything, so any review I do will be,,, a Rookie's point of view.
I'm 55, 56 soon. I think your math will be right up my alley.

i have a DS8.5 right now, I would lose the front suspension, which is nice when you need it, but extra weight the other 95% of the time. Thank goodness for the suspension lockout. Looking at the Crossrip as a step toward lighter and faster, without going full on road bike, which won't work for me because I ride multi-terrain, even on a single ride, transitioning from concrete, to pavement, to MUPs, to gravel, to potholed streets. Hopefully the Crossrip will allow travel on all those surfaces, on a bit lighter faster set-up than the DS.

THAT is why I'd like to hear your impression(s).
Old 08-17-16, 04:01 PM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

I'm 55, 56 soon. I think your math will be right up my alley.

i have a DS8.5 right now, I would lose the front suspension, which is nice when you need it, but extra weight the other 95% of the time. Thank goodness for the suspension lockout. Looking at the Crossrip as a step toward lighter and faster, without going full on road bike, which won't work for me because I ride multi-terrain, even on a single ride, transitioning from concrete, to pavement, to MUPs, to gravel, to potholed streets. Hopefully the Crossrip will allow travel on all those surfaces, on a bit lighter faster set-up than the DS.

THAT is why I'd like to hear your impression(s).
And you will,,

And same here, No full on road bike for me for the same reasons as you stated,,all of them

Jake, the wrench at BBW, my LBS will build it, ride it and give me LEVEL drop bars ! 80% of the drop bars we see out there are tilted up, Odd I think... He's been in the sport, has real experience. I will ask him what he see's and feels sets this bike apart and or makes It different.
He even knew I wanted that plastic ring out from behind the cassette before I asked...
Old 08-17-16, 11:36 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Ok and about the LTD,, for your consideration..

The Brakes, My LBS's mech had this to say when I asked about the LTD's cable to hydro brakes,, It has a cable system down to the wheel and there In/on the caliper the hydraulics are activated.

I asked why that setup, He said the only reason he could come up with on his own was that cable damage was easy to repair or replace while out touring far from help, a full on hydro system, well you would have to ride to a bike shop most likely with one brake to get It repaired and bled..

So The LTD's school of thought is that you can have most, say (90%) of the wet brake system performance with the simplicity of repair that goes with cable brakes while,,'Out In The Wild'.
He added, a small weight penalty and the need to clean, lube and adjust cables was why He would not choose It.

I
The Hy/Rd brakes came out just before the current crop of full hydraulic road brakes. They were a way to get hydraulic brakes with road levers at a point in time when there were no integrated brake/ shift levers for drop bar bikes that included reservoirs for hydraulic disc brakes. Now that full hydro systems for drop bar bikes are readily available, HY/Rds are positioned more as a pecieved upgrade from mechanical discs and as a lower cost hydraulic option.

My perspective is that mechanical disc brakes work well enough that the half way option is not needed. Go all the way or not at all. Not that the Hy/Rds are not good brakes. I just wouldn't upgrade to them or choose one bike over another because it had them (or not).
Old 08-20-16, 07:58 AM
SkunkWerX

Bikes: Trek DS 8.5 Scott Hybrid Thunderbolt folder '75 Schwinn Varsity '95 Schwinn cruiser '58 Wstrn Flyr...

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Osco, for the reasons you stated it would have to be a CrossRip3 for me. I have full wet brakes right now...the LTD would be a step backwards on the brakes. There would be no sense going backward, or staying even.

I have a love/ hate relationship with my front suspension. It has lockout, and use it a good amount. When I know I am nearing a good bump, it's nice to unlock, and soak it up, then lock back out. The extra weight is a downer....and leaving the suspension enabled just sucks the power out of my pedaling.

I am interested to hear how your bike handles bumps and jolts. I still want the ability to regularly ride gravel and trails.
I avoid the jolts that I can, and I deal with the ones I can't avoid.
Old 08-20-16, 01:12 PM
Pendergast

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Osco, for the reasons you stated it would have to be a CrossRip3 for me. I have full wet brakes right now...the LTD would be a step backwards on the brakes. There would be no sense going backward, or staying even.

I have a love/ hate relationship with my front suspension. It has lockout, and use it a good amount. When I know I am nearing a good bump, it's nice to unlock, and soak it up, then lock back out. The extra weight is a downer....and leaving the suspension enabled just sucks the power out of my pedaling.

I am interested to hear how your bike handles bumps and jolts. I still want the ability to regularly ride gravel and trails.
I avoid the jolts that I can, and I deal with the ones I can't avoid.

This has hydraulic brakes and looks pretty interesting for $2K.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/tcx.advanced.sx.2017/25918/92579/#overview
Old 08-21-16, 11:18 AM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

I am interested to hear how your bike handles bumps and jolts. I still want the ability to regularly ride gravel and trails. I avoid the jolts that I can, and I deal with the ones I can't avoid.
I have a few very experienced road riders who are being kind enough to teach me things....

About your 'Jolts' Issue,,what I'm finding to be true from what these people are teaching me is beginning to make a difference in my riding.

I was advised to work on my Core above all else,, I am learning that a jolt to the front end means little If I am supporting my weight with my core and not my arms and neck

I have learned that riding a full on road bike is not for me.. have been fitted to two different loaners,,one rather hi end and very Uncomfortable, the Other a Trek 1.1, not too bad but so new to me much of my discomfort is from being new at this kind if riding.

Last edited by osco53; 08-21-16 at 11:21 AM.
Old 08-22-16, 05:21 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
I want to stay as close to $2000 for the Initial bike purchase considering I'll need a new shoe and pedal system on top of this.
I got myself In pretty decent shape on my Full squish mtb and am looking to go faster on my local M.U.P.'s,, I am also of the opinion that a gravel bike would not only sharpen my handling skills but help me Increase my mileage.
I do not want to ride a skinny tire'd road bike, I want a versatile bike as I do have a few actual Gravel roads I can fly down that are Isolated from the noise and pollution of traffic.
I also have the Green Swamp with It's many miles of gravel roads~

I'm starting to eye the Trek Crossrip 3 for It's do It all nature.
Also Eyeballing the Giant Any road Comax, A Carbon frame would feel nice.

Considerations:
I would not race or ever push so hard I'd need thru axles..
I'd want the Option of a second wheel set for delving deeper Into Fire road/double track off road rides so being able to handle wider tires and rims is Important to me.
I would like a Carbon frame but could get near the same comfort with a carbon handle bar with thick bar tape and a carbon seat post.
Most definitely want a Shimano 105 derailleur or better.
And Must have tubeless capable rims....

Any thoughts peoples ??
My questions are many at this beginning of the bike hunt.
For Instance.
Is a Carbon frame that big of a deal ? I am not a weight weenie but think staying under 23ish pounds would be wise In case I need to shoulder the bike and run up a steep hill, I have a few In mind..

Drooling over new bikes is fun but this activity Is far more productive with me seriously contemplating all your varied comments and advice.
I deeply value the collective knowledge of the more advanced cyclists In this field as well as the very new CX/Gravel riders opinions that are most likely spot on to what I will experience when I get out there

Thank you all In advance
The Patriarchy is not strong in you.
Old 08-22-16, 07:42 PM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Trek Rip 3 Is In the House !

After he built It my LBS mechanic took It out for a first spin, even found a Gravel road
He said It's now added to His next bike short list. My First ride was a typical attempt to learn the very different brake/shifter combo system, but I did find the bike super stable at very low speeds, U-turns were a non Issue and the 105 gear,, Oh yeah ! The 105 stuff was Super Super smooth and silent with quick, accurate shifting,, I like this aspect big time.

As I said before I am a complete Noob to drop bar bikes so all I can say Is I found the bike very stable and easy to steer at slow speeds.
The brakes are not yet seated in so we both used them easy, These brakes had the exact feel I was looking for. They are I am sure going to be very precise.
The 700 x 32 tires did fine on the gravel and did not get crack stuck, we shall see how long I can hold out before going tubeless,,yes the rims are TLR

The tires are 585 grams each and we weighed a tube at 135 so that's 1,440 grams for both front and rear tires n tubes.
I wonder If the above Is why the bikes seems to coast for ever~ I have not a clue if wheel weight counts In coasting.

When I go tubeless I will stick to the 32's and the tires I will probably mount will come In well under 1,000 grams Including sealant. I should be able to chop a pound off my wheels. But for now Ignorance Is Bliss, the bike spins up plenty fast as far as I can tell.

Nice cushy handle bar, thick soft comfy bar wrap, feels good to me. This bar has some built In soft stuff right where the heels of out hands would sit most often. Saddle,,only miles will tell, It may have too much built In give, I don't know yet.

I am 5' 11", 32" Inseam, The 56cm frame is a perfect fit IMO, the 90mm stem is fine.
With the Drop bars level, seat level and forward aft seat position set up I think I will have no fitment Issues at all..
I think the bike Is a good fit right out of the box.
I did put all three spacers under the stem, and It's mounted 'Up' using the 7 degree rise so the seat Is dead level to the top of the drop bar. On the Hoods, I felt like I dropped my torso about two Inches due to the extra reach, It was a cool feeling. The drops,,well, they are drop bars right !

We hung the bike on the shop scale and with Shimano SPD's mounted and all the ugly reflectors plus that stupid plastic thing behind the cassette removed, we got 10.47 kilo's or 23.082 pounds, The Trek site said 10.36 w/o pedals, so close enough for government work right !

So far I am happy.

I will do a better update when the 'New Bike syndrome' wears off ,,
When The bike and I become one ~~

Ok the BS Is getting deep,,,, Later peoples.

Last edited by osco53; 08-23-16 at 05:25 AM.
Old 08-26-16, 10:20 AM
09box

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Congrats on the score. Crossrip looks like a nice rig!

The D'Back Haanjo Trail looks like a nice bike for not a lot of coin..
Old 08-26-16, 10:34 AM
mapeiboy

Bikes: Colnago EP with Campy chorus

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh no need,, here's how I did It,,

I FIRST let her get something she wanted, A $2300 scooter
So she did not let you purchase the next bike out of her love for you . I am sure my wife will let me buy Colnago c60 , with electronic shifting , Bora carbon wheels if I let her buysLouis Vuitton handbag .
Old 08-26-16, 02:34 PM
P_M

Bikes: Devinci Tosca S

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My bike hasn't told me if I can get a wife again. I trust my bike.
Old 08-26-16, 02:42 PM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

I know a guy who knows a guy who has that Haanjo, was told he rides it all over and was very happy with it.