Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why every thing you read claims E-bike give a better work out ??

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-23, 02:06 AM
jzr756

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 11 Posts

So I'm wondering about the barrage of online articles and claims an E-bike actually provides a better work out than conventional bikes in general ?? I've been making considerable gains riding hills and flats. E-bikes are blasting by me but no ones pedaling. how's that claim coming about? One claim is their riding longer distances??

Update/edit.

Last edited by jzr756; 09-11-23 at 12:01 PM.
Old 09-10-23, 02:34 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Because people won't ride regular bikes because it is too hard ... so an e-bike is better than nothing
Old 09-10-23, 03:56 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by jzr756
. E-bikes are blasting by me but no ones pedaling.
There are different types of e-bike. The ones ridden for exercise have to be pedalled just like a normal bike. They can be useful for training if you live in a hilly or windy location. For example you want to do a long Z2 ride, but your route has loads of steep climbs that would make it unfeasible on a normal bike. An e-road bike with proportional pedal assistance would allow you to ride the steep climbs in Z2. If you do want to ride harder, you can simply reduce the assist level.

I have a friend who uses an e-road bike for a 50 mile hilly commute to rack up his Z2 miles. He finds it very effective.
Old 09-10-23, 04:17 AM
DonkeyShow

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
To sell bikes. It's not that hard, just be less ********.
Likes For DonkeyShow:
Old 09-10-23, 04:59 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
It depends on the bike and how it is used. If the e part is used as an assist and the bike is pedaled it might be used to allow more difficult conditions, longer rides, steeper climbs, or heavier loads than the rider would otherwise manage. The one person I know who bought one used it to haul two kind to daycare on their a morning commute. They probably would not have done that without an ebike.

Others may allow folks to ride who otherwise wouldn't at all or mismatched couples to ride together. I guess the key is using it as an assist to pedaling rather than just using the throttle. I see both types of ebike riders around town here in Tallahassee.

One guy I see somewhat regularly on the trails when I am riding my MTB is always spinning like mad and obviously getting a good workout.

Edit to add that the "everything you read claims.." stuff in the original post is just garbage.

Last edited by staehpj1; 09-10-23 at 07:39 AM.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 09-10-23, 05:06 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18421 Post(s)
Liked 15,569 Times in 7,335 Posts
Here we go again.
Old 09-10-23, 05:12 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
So I'm wondering about the barrage of online articles and claims an E-bike actually provides a better work out than conventional bikes in general ?? I've been making considerable gains riding hills and flats. E-bikes are blasting by me but no ones pedaling. how's that claim coming about? One claim is their riding longer distances??
"Everything you read claims ebikes give a better workout?"

Really? Never read that anywhere. Please give at least a couple of links to pages where that claim is made.
Old 09-10-23, 06:46 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Here we go again.
There they go again. I won't be joining them.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 09-10-23, 07:04 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
Weird, seems it would take some mental gymnastics to support. .Anyway, not good BF etiquette to bait the e-motor folks from their lair.
Old 09-10-23, 07:05 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I'd have to know what "better" means in this context. But, I have never heard anyone say that. Not even my friends who have them.

Last edited by bruce19; 09-10-23 at 07:17 AM.
Old 09-10-23, 07:19 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
I don't know about better but they all allow the assist level to be turned up or down, or even off. Like said above the boost gives you route options, both hills and traffic, that you may not make on a human powered bike. You can definitely get a work out on them.

Last edited by Pop N Wood; 09-10-23 at 07:25 AM.
Old 09-10-23, 07:23 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
If it's on the internet, it must be true.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 09-10-23, 08:38 AM
PeteHski

Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
If it's on the internet, it must be true.
I Googled it and came up with this:-

https://storybicycles.com/blogs/ebik...20participants.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 09-10-23, 08:47 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
if you pedal with a certain amount of force and at a certain speed, it requires a specific amount of power. that’s how much work you’re doing. it doesn’t matter if the bike also has a motor, is made of carbon fiber, or bamboo, or painted red or black.

the situation in which an e-bike is a better work out is when it adds enough power to that amount of power you’re generating to make it possible or fun to do something that otherwise you couldn’t or wouldn’t do.

for example, a relatively unfit or weak person lives in a very hilly area. it’s impractical for them to go on a two hour ride up and down steep hills. their level of fitness would hardly get them up one hill, even with granny gearing, so they do zero cycling, or only for whatever very short distances have no hills. on an e-bike, they can pedal with a sustainable amount of effort for them and ride for hours.

however, the more likely case is that someone wants to ride at around 15-20mph for a couple hours. in that case, the e-bike (as long as the motor is on) requires less power from the human rider, and the total “workout” will be significantly less than a regular bike.
Old 09-10-23, 08:53 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 373 Posts
I saw a guy get a really good workout getting his and his significant other's bikes out of the back of their pickup...
Old 09-10-23, 09:13 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I Googled it and came up with this:-

https://storybicycles.com/blogs/ebik...20participants.
Quick scan tells me their argument is "it's easier so you'll actually ride/ride more", which doesn't apply to most of us.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-10-23, 09:28 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelreason
I saw a guy get a really good workout getting his and his significant other's bikes out of the back of their pickup...
The way I look at it, by the time I'm old enough to need an ebike, I won't be able to lift one!
Old 09-10-23, 09:32 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 404 Posts
People are also selling the trend that fat is actually fit/better health.

Easy to sell products that offer lazy/easy fitness solutions…
Old 09-10-23, 09:33 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
There they go again. I won't be joining them.
But you could with an e-posting wrist implant.
Old 09-10-23, 09:38 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
I am trying so hard to be "NOT anti e-bike". Is there a word for that? Maybe if they just went ahead and called them Motorcycles I would be more comfortable with them...

I have a lot of time one both Motorcycles and Bicycles and it's really hard to decide which one I have had more fun with.

I do know on which type I have had the best workouts with though!
Old 09-10-23, 09:50 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Unless someone is forcing me off the trail or something, why should I care what people ride?

If it keeps people out of cars, and there are fewer cars on the road, that is a Good Thing, ipso facto.

My wife got a class 1 e-roadbike a couple of years ago, due to hip and knee issues. It helps her a lot, and inspired her to get a nice non-assist titanium road bike.

I recently built up an e-bike conversion. I haven't really used it yet, apart from test rides, but I set it up in such a way (30T front sprocket) that I doubt I am going to be blasting past anyone.

There's a big difference between the above examples and Sur Rons ripping up the trails, complete with their vestigial pedals.

A little bit of nuance here could help.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 09-10-23, 09:54 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
One problem is "e-bike" refers to everything from a regular bike with light pedal assistance to essentially an electric motorcycle. The former I can definitely see for folks who can no longer put out the effort they used to but still want to ride - more power to 'em, you might say. But the latter? I feel like they're taking advantage of bicycle infrastructure. And the people on them are not getting any exercise at all.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-10-23, 10:12 AM
Jklotz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 23 Posts
I realize I'm in the minority here, but I recently bought a Trek Domane+. It is a pedal assist ebike. There is no throttle to turn. There are 3 power modes, selectable with little buttons near the shifters. Without peddling, it gives you nothing. To reach it's 28 mph assist cap, you've still got to be putting out roughly 250 watts on a flat. On the climbs, it'll reduce your HR by 10 beats or so when pushing it. I get great workouts. On my recovery rides, I can do 15mph while staying in zone 1 and 2, makes them a lot more fun and I don't have to have a flat course to do it.

A little background: I raced in my 20's and 30's. Got burned out and shelved the bike after crashes, team politics, etc. 20 years later, I decided to get back in shape. Back in the day, I'd have used group rides to do that, but I'm heavier and older now, so that really wasn't an option for me. At least not without a good 5 or 6 month solo training program and crash diet to prepare. So I got the ebike. I was able to do some B and C level group rides immediately, although I had to push pretty hard to keep up. That was about 3 months ago. Now, with the help of the ebike, I'm able to keep up with the A group. I have to really push hard though, often spending over an hour in zone 4 or 5 to keep up every ride. And even then I get dropped every now and then. I burn 1200 - 1400 calories each ride according to my Garmin. In that 3 months, I've lost 11 lbs and my resting heart rate has dropped almost 20 BPM. And I'm having a blast doing it. I'd still like to drop another 10 LBS and raise my FTP and V02 max. On my current trajectory, that should not be a problem.

So say what you will about ebikes, but for me, they have been a game changer. And yes, I'm getting a better workout because if I didn't have one, there is no way I'd be able to be out there.
Old 09-10-23, 10:48 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
One problem is "e-bike" refers to everything from a regular bike with light pedal assistance to essentially an electric motorcycle. The former I can definitely see for folks who can no longer put out the effort they used to but still want to ride - more power to 'em, you might say. But the latter? I feel like they're taking advantage of bicycle infrastructure. And the people on them are not getting any exercise at all.
agreed. of course people will call things whatever they want, but legally, a throttled vehicle with >750w and/or >20mph is not an e-bike under either state or federal definition. enforcing the existing laws keeping these things off trails and paths and bike lanes would go a long way.
Old 09-10-23, 10:53 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Some people wear themselves out pedaling and tire so quickly they don't get much cardiovascular/aerobic benefit from cycling because they only do short rides or don't ride at all. E-bikes help those people some to let them ride longer and get more benefit.

It's not muscling yourself over the hills or at high speed that makes for better aerobic exercise, it's how long you can move your legs up and down.
Likes For Iride01:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.