Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-11, 02:40 PM
toplasher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
advice

hi peeps hows all. Ok i just bought my self a mountain bike. What i would like if anyone could give me some advice on how long i should start riding for as its been like 15 years since i had one. Im trying ot lose wieght ive lost 3half stone so far yes im a big lad but it seems to have come to a slow point so i got bike. But i don't want to over do it straight away. Like how long should i be going for a ride to start i remeber when i was young i got saddle saw don't want that again it hurt lol any advice would be most greatful. thank toplasher
Old 07-07-11, 03:42 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
I think the more common rut people get into is riding repeated laps of the same 3 mile loop. That hurts you two ways.

1. You tend to race with yourself and you become disappointed and discouraged if you don't complete the loop faster than yesterday.
2. Every time you complete a loop you have to make a decision to start another one. It's too easy to rationalize stopping before you should.
Old 07-07-11, 04:43 PM
drmweaver2

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
My advice, based on returning to cycling after 30 years, just get on the bike and ride. The next ride do the same thing. and so on...
Not being "flip". My first ride back, I could only do 2.5 miles or so. By the next week, I could do 10. Distance steadily increased while I didnt concentrate on/think about speed. By the time I began thinking about speed, my distance was up to 30 miles - and I found I was averaging just under 14 mph. Long steady distance tends to burn more calories for me than any distance I can maintain for any period of time when I try to go faster. So, when I'm trying to lose weight, as I have been for the last year, distance at a pace I can maintain for a long period is more important/effective for me.

Just my experience, fwiw.
Old 07-08-11, 01:09 AM
toplasher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanx