Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-23, 12:33 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,388 Times in 3,673 Posts
Originally Posted by bark_eater
Continuing with a bit of a what the heck, might as well finish last years winter project: The rear derailleur I cleaned up for the bike was way too sloppy, so I put this Tiagra I was "saving" for something . Disaster almost struck here. I was suspicious of the derailleur hangers alignment so I dug out the guage. Apparently I cross threaded it, or there was some junk in the threads or in-between the "faces" and there wasn't full thread engagement when it felt snug. So when I put some pressure on it the screw shifted. It looks like it only effected the outer most threads, and a tap threaded in with a 2 finger grip, so another tragedy narrowly avoided.

I'm trying the 105 front derailleur, but it doesn't seem to like the 48t chainring. This is as low as it will go and not bind on the chain, and seems like its just throwing the chain in the general direction of the big ring. I will probably try something from a mountain bike, next.
I would try lowering that FD a bit, it should have no problem doing what you want.
Old 09-27-23, 02:25 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
I would try lowering that FD a bit, it should have no problem doing what you want.
I went up and down couple few times and that's as low as I could go. The cage may have been deformed at some point. I put a Suntour on and it's 100 % better.

hard to see but the 105 is bowed open in the middle. I don't know if that's factory or misadventure. The outer plate is definitely not flat.

With the 105 it seemed like the inner cage was picking up the chain late and then jamming . I was aligning the outer plate to chain ring, but since it has a bend the inner plate might have been rotated clockwise. I have another 105 front derailleur on a scrapyard frame, so I'll compare at some point. The Suntour front derailleur works and almost matches the brakes. I did have to replace the cone shaped cable clamp nut with a regular nut to stay clear of the fender though.

Last edited by bark_eater; 09-27-23 at 03:07 PM.
Old 09-27-23, 07:54 PM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
Trek 820

Maintenance on my big framed Trek 820.
Didn’t need to go too deep on this bicycle as all my rides were hit hard and rebuilt in the last 5 years!
Always had big groups coming to the Cape to ride on the weekends!
Lotsa bicycles ridden sporadically!
Vintage or at least old school hybrids, racing, mountain, nice old touring bicycles were being ridden here/ there!
Even a bunch of old Raleigh’s…even a few rod brake, “Bobby bikes”… those bicycles are awesome!
Some bicycles went home with the rider…I really had to love you and trust that you would take care of the bicycle!
Or ride a too big or too small bicycle!
Old 09-28-23, 09:46 PM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 245 Posts
Things that got done... Verifying the age of the Rossin is a bit of a pain, I'm calling it 1977 late or 1978 early and I could be wrong, quite a bit of variation in the early models. Seat tube, steer tube, and bottom bracket cleaned out, deburred and steering head in final adjustment.

Starting cockpit fit-up, I am taking some liberty's with the stem and bars as far as age goes. the Rossin is getting a 90mm Ambrosio stem and Ambrosio 40cm Campione Del Mondo bars, I really like the look. 90mm Is to correct for a 2cm longer and taller frame, I'm going for a classic 70's fit.

The seat pin was a lucky find and is period correct... 27.2mm Campagnolo Superleggero #1044, 210mm long for not a insane price. should be here Monday.

On to the photos

Untitled by nemosengineer, on Flickr

: Mike
Old 09-29-23, 08:16 AM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
Here are the latest builds I've done for the Bike Exchange .
The first is an 70's Bertoni Corsa Mondiale . Some have downgraded it because it was a contract build but I have to say the frame has all the right stuff and the Shimano 600 group on the bike was top end for its time. All the bright work is like new on the bike. The paint likewise was near perfect with just a little fading and a few minor scratches on the frame. A good deep clean and a clear coat made it shine like new

The second is a GT Outpost All Terra. while this was not their top end machine , with low end Shimano components, it too was in exceptional condition as recieved. Especially cool was the paint job , with smoke over red , which unfortunately doesn't show up in the pictures. It is a little subtle but up close is stunning. the tires are probably a little too fat. they clear the frame but just barely miss the front derailler when in low gear. The only thing I changed was to replace the red stem with a black one . I think the red was a tad over the top. The shop has priced the Bertoni at $350 which I think is too low given the bikes quality . Don't know how much they will ask for the GT.

Likes For capnjonny:
Old 09-30-23, 05:51 PM
tz250

Bikes: Club Special, Bottecchia ADR, Alan, Ciocc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Need help w Shimano Altus A20 rear derailleur

hey all,
visiting my brother and his wife, my SIL, has a Miyata with Altus 7-sp rear derail that will not shift up. it shifts to next smallest rear sprocket than then immediately shifts down. im only familiar with road bikes, so i am wondering if the spring in the rear derail is worn or is it the thumb shifters? rear cable has been adjusted to taught on smallest rear sprocket. thanks!
robin
Old 10-01-23, 02:12 AM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 245 Posts
The Rossin continues... In this episode we have stuff that makes the wheels turn, stuff that stops the wheels from turning, and wheels, a recommended item for things you want to roll.

7700 Dura-Ace set up as a 10 speed.

Ambrosio Excellence rims (the reason I devoted a whole post to the Ambrosio bars and stem, I love this stuff), Sun XCD hubs, Wheelsmith spokes tied and soldered, Dura-Ace 7800 12-25 10 speed cassette.

: Mike
Old 10-01-23, 09:11 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,753 Times in 966 Posts
Originally Posted by tz250
hey all,
visiting my brother and his wife, my SIL, has a Miyata with Altus 7-sp rear derail that will not shift up. it shifts to next smallest rear sprocket than then immediately shifts down. im only familiar with road bikes, so i am wondering if the spring in the rear derail is worn or is it the thumb shifters? rear cable has been adjusted to taught on smallest rear sprocket. thanks!
robin
I would try a flush of both the shifter and the rd with wd-40. Try manually pushing the derailleur and make sure that is getting it full range of motion, easily. Then check your shifter to see if it makes all the clicks.

I think your shifter is gummy checking its range and flush should clear it up, it could be shot it is like 35 years old.
Old 10-01-23, 09:15 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1612 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,225 Posts
hey all,
robin
Should be posted in bicycle mechanics but it sounds like a limit adjustment if it is not bent.
Old 10-01-23, 02:48 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
Grabbed the Bottecchia and tried to wheel it out of the house to ride today, but noticed the rear wheel rubbing on the brake pad. Initially assumed the brake wasn't centered, but quickly found out otherwise.

Holy ****! This is the second MA40 rear rim that has cracked on me this year. Strange that I didn't notice it on its last ride. This one is original to the bike, and I rebuilt it with a different hub and new spokes back in April.

After a quick search on Craigs and eBay, I purchased two new Sun m13ii rims from Carson City. smh.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 10-01-23, 03:18 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 429 Times in 249 Posts
decals before clear

two bodge-jects going

an Allez Catastrophé. Opted to go with a color-way🙄 I like- spray bike plum.
White decals. The Specialized and logo are off eBay. The Allez from Lettering.com

shoulda gone longer a bigger on the Allez.

the other “thing” will never be Classic. It’s a practice before I butcher a SteamRoller
I painted this O8 Fix8 with spray bike Ag. It’s got Al bits in the paint, but reminds me of the Tin Man from Wiz of Oz.

clear coat tomorrow.

Last edited by mrv; 10-01-23 at 03:22 PM.
Likes For mrv:
Old 10-01-23, 03:37 PM
Yune_Garage 

Bikes: Lugged Steel Single Speed Beater

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 86 Posts

Likes For Yune_Garage:
Old 10-01-23, 05:02 PM
tz250

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
yes, ok, it does not “click” when i shift it, thanks!
Old 10-01-23, 05:03 PM
tz250

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
Should be posted in bicycle mechanics but it sounds like a limit adjustment if it is not bent.
https://youtu.be/UkZxPIZ1ngY?si=QPyW1DMR5UAIHCQi

yes, thanks, that is the first thing i checked! thanks! ok, i will try “mechanics” section as well.
Old 10-01-23, 06:17 PM
colnago_zuub

Bikes: Colnago C96, Urban Arrow

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Colnago restoration

Hi. I’m working on my first restoration, and Colgnago C96. I would appreciate some advice on restoring parts of the frame, specifically, what are the parts in the attached pic made from, aluminum or Steele? Trying to figure out the best way to remove the rust. Also, they seems to have some light chrome plating?? Not sure. Thanks!

Old 10-01-23, 06:36 PM
Yune_Garage 

Bikes: Lugged Steel Single Speed Beater

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago_zuub
Hi. I’m working on my first restoration, and Colgnago C96. I would appreciate some advice on restoring parts of the frame, specifically, what are the parts in the attached pic made from, aluminum or Steele? Trying to figure out the best way to remove the rust. Also, they seems to have some light chrome plating?? Not sure. Thanks!

Grade #0000 Fine Steel Wool with a bit of polish works wonders for this surface rust. (Tape off the painted sections close to the chrome lugs to protect it). Should leave it like new!

Old 10-01-23, 09:14 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago_zuub

absolutely sure it is a Colnago?
Old 10-01-23, 10:33 PM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
Recents…

Should’ve washed’em first!

‘Nother of my barn/garage finds!

Original tires on the 850?!

This is a big bicycle!

Driveside…

Super quiet for in my in house shop! Quick recovery…stupid quiet! I think my garbage disposal makes more noise the this compressor!

Next! In the queue…
Likes For billnuke1:
Old 10-01-23, 11:01 PM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,443 Times in 646 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Grabbed the Bottecchia and tried to wheel it out of the house to ride today, but noticed the rear wheel rubbing on the brake pad. Initially assumed the brake wasn't centered, but quickly found out otherwise.

Holy ****! This is the second MA40 rear rim that has cracked on me this year. Strange that I didn't notice it on its last ride. This one is original to the bike, and I rebuilt it with a different hub and new spokes back in April.

After a quick search on Craigs and eBay, I purchased two new Sun m13ii rims from Carson City. smh.
Yeah, I had two rear MA40 rims split on me in a period of about three years(one 36h and one 32h). I like the rims, but they are not the most robust hoops.

The first one even cracked a nice superbe hf hub.
Likes For Roger M:
Old 10-02-23, 11:43 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,753 Times in 966 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
absolutely sure it is a Colnago?
Boy that does look like it was hand engraved with high speed cutting tool.
Old 10-02-23, 01:08 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
Finished the build of my 2000 Rockhopper today:
IMG_4523 by 2cam16, on Flickr
IMG_4524 by 2cam16, on Flickr
Likes For 2cam16:
Old 10-02-23, 02:41 PM
leftthread

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 105 Posts
Likes For leftthread:
Old 10-02-23, 03:10 PM
VintageSteelEU

Bikes: Motobecane C41, Matsu$hita Nashonaru

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Liked 437 Times in 254 Posts
hey all,
robin
The only times when I had to deal with spontaneous upshifting it was due to poor quality / worn out shifters and they were of a friction variety. I'd guess that Altus comes with indexed shifters and the mechanism has worn out somehow or is damaged perhaps? But without getting my paws on them, difficult to say. When the cable is loose, are the levers moving / clicking from gear to gear or just loose? If somehow these are friction thumbshifters, it could be that they need tighteing up. As for the derailleur, I'm guessing the parallelogram spring is intact (since the derailleur still moves the cage back to the highest gear) and I'm assuming limiting screws are adjusted correctly. Check if they are, especially the one marked as L, but if that's OK, my guess is that the shifters are shot. What with the front derailleur (if present)? Does it behave in a similar way?
Old 10-02-23, 03:39 PM
VintageSteelEU

Bikes: Motobecane C41, Matsu$hita Nashonaru

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Liked 437 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa

Yikes! Good thing this didn't end up in an accident. I'm putting mine on the stand after the first 200km I've made since building the wheels (I got them used, so I have no idea what mileage they had on them before), so I'll examine them closely. But I think in the future I'll try to avoid vintage rims and go for new Ambrosio Excellence and Excellight instead...
Likes For VintageSteelEU:
Old 10-02-23, 04:38 PM
bikamper
1991 PBP Anciens

Bikes: 1954 Robin Hood, 1964 Dunelt, 1968 Raleigh Superbe, 1969 Robin Hood, 197? Gitane, 1973 Raleigh SuperCourse, 1981 Miyata 710, 1990 Miyata 600GT, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 117 Posts
I still don't have the new parts for my Ural though I finally got a response from IMWA and my go to parts guy, so it's all on order and hopefully be here in the next ten days. In the meantime, I dug out one of my Phrench Phart Velo Solex mopeds and got it ready for our local car and bike show.

All it really needed was a wipe down, some 2 stroke in the tank, and air in the tires. Is it a bicycle? Is it a moped? Dunno, doesn't do either very well but it does put a grin on your face as you putt down the road.
Likes For bikamper:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.