Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

UltraSonic cleaning

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

UltraSonic cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-23, 08:23 AM
shoff535

Bikes: Current Stable: 1973 Mercian Vincitore;1985 CIOCC Designer'84;1988 Raleigh "531c USA" ;1990 LeMond Maillot Jaune Z Team; 1991 Fuji Titanium;1996 Calfee LunaPro-Lemond Z team Tribute Replica; 2013 Wilier Zero.Seven

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
UltraSonic cleaning

Just curious if anyone uses one of these to clean parts (shift/brake levers) deraileurs & brakes, or chains. If so, what type of cleaner do you use that wont harm the anodized finish (or paint) on the parts? The most common cleaners that I can think of would be diluted mixtures with either Purple Power, Citrus cleaner or Simple Green. Typically I either soak in Mineral spirits and rinse with brake parts cleaner and alcohol.
Thanks
Old 11-02-23, 08:33 AM
leftthread

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 105 Posts
I put a concentrated solution of Dawn in a Ziplock bag, the parts in that bag, then the bag in a dilute Dawn solution in the ultrasonic cleaner.
Easier to keep the cleaner clean that way.
Mineral spirits first it it's really grungy.

Some here have mentioned hydrogen embrittlement with Simple Green.
Project Farm likes Super Clean as a degreaser but haven't tried that yet.
Old 11-02-23, 08:40 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
Many ultrasonic cleaner threads here and on Bicycle Mechanics. 'Search' might find them for you, or it might not.
Likes For tcs:
Old 11-02-23, 08:53 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2364 Post(s)
Liked 1,750 Times in 1,192 Posts
I don't recall if I ever put anodized parts in mine. If so, I probably used Dawn. Mostly I use it for "bare" parts like cassettes, chains, derailleur pulleys, etc., using Simple Green. Almost always in a bag, bowl, jar, etc. so I don't have to use as much "juice". Also good for degreasing BB, hub and headset bearings.

I have used mine with rusty parts including fasteners. A jar with enough Evaporust to drown the part, the combination of heat and ultrasonic vibration, what otherwise would take hours is reduced to minutes.
Likes For madpogue:
Old 11-02-23, 08:53 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Just cleaned a coaster brake hub in my tiny cheap ultrasonic cleaner yesterday. Just hot water and some dish soap. Some brushing for the loosened up gunk if necessary but other than that no special chemicals. I've had some discoloration when using vinegar on anodized aluminium parts.

Last edited by JaccoW; 11-02-23 at 09:00 AM.
Old 11-02-23, 09:08 AM
purpurite

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Classic Ti, 1960 Frejus Supercorsa, 2015 Rocky Mountain Blizzard, 2001 Cannondale F700

Liked 136 Times in 56 Posts
I'm kindof addicted to my ultrasonic cleaner.

Depends on what I'm cleaning as to what I use in the tank. Chains and cassettes I will use mineral spirits or Simple Green, some items straight water with a couple drops of dish soap in it. Works so nicely on derailleurs. My wife uses one for vintage 78rpm records, and they come put beautifully deep cleaned.

Likes For purpurite:
Old 11-02-23, 12:52 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 788 Posts
Simple Green has been reported as "caustic" to anodized aluminum alloy parts tho this may take awhile to take effect, it you clean QUICKLY and rinse off with plain water the finish is probably safe. it's a long unwatched soaking that is dangerous, and IMO the "Purple" cleaners are even worse! So use them with care and be quick.
I agree that with ultrasonics they work fine with just plain water and a little (drops not glugs) of dish washing detergent, I tend to use "Joy" because was once told by an optometrist that he trusted that brand on plastic lenses. Dawn might be more effective on greasy bike parts and easier to find in these (Joy-less) days.
I think the labs that use Ultrasonic cleaners all day every day use a "wetting agent" that's even less of a danger to delicate merchandise than the mildest detergents
Likes For unworthy1:
Old 11-02-23, 12:58 PM
purpurite

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Classic Ti, 1960 Frejus Supercorsa, 2015 Rocky Mountain Blizzard, 2001 Cannondale F700

Originally Posted by unworthy1
Simple Green has been reported as "caustic" to anodized aluminum alloy parts tho this may take awhile to take effect, it you clean QUICKLY and rinse off with plain water the finish is probably safe. it's a long unwatched soaking that is dangerous, and IMO the "Purple" cleaners are even worse! So use them with care and be quick.
Correct. If you are using Simple Green (the original) in an un-diluted state, and you aren't soaking overnight, you should be fine. I have seen the Purple cleaners do a number on paint, though, so use caution with any of those. I used to use Castrol Super Clean to strip chrome from model car parts, so it's pretty aggressive, for sure.
Likes For purpurite:
Old 11-02-23, 01:03 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 788 Posts
Originally Posted by purpurite
I used to use Castrol Super Clean to strip chrome from model car parts, so it's pretty aggressive, for sure.
aggressive, yes, but it sure does work!
Better than many solvents as a de-greaser and no danger if you're in a "no open flames or heat sources" setting...but wear gloves cause your hands will turn to full-prune-wrinkle in seconds flat!
Likes For unworthy1:
Old 11-02-23, 01:16 PM
purpurite

Originally Posted by unworthy1
aggressive, yes, but it sure does work!
Better than many solvents as a de-greaser and no danger if you're in a "no open flames or heat sources" setting...but wear gloves cause your hands will turn to full-prune-wrinkle in seconds flat!
Oh yeah, that stuff does nasty stuff to your hands.
Old 11-03-23, 06:10 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
One bit of highschool science trivia I remember was a cautionary about acetone. I believe the teacher was describing himself as the guinea pig, but apparently if you soak you hands in acetone and then water you get super prune hands, because the acetone dissolves a water resistant lipid layer in the skin. This is why I try and wear gloves when using more volitable solvents, and do not use acetone to clean epoxy and such off my hands, because it drives the chemicals into your blood.
Old 11-03-23, 06:11 PM
shoff535

Bikes: Current Stable: 1973 Mercian Vincitore;1985 CIOCC Designer'84;1988 Raleigh "531c USA" ;1990 LeMond Maillot Jaune Z Team; 1991 Fuji Titanium;1996 Calfee LunaPro-Lemond Z team Tribute Replica; 2013 Wilier Zero.Seven

Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Thanks for all of the comments. Good to know that SG works well and as long as it's diluted and not left on for too long shouldn't be an issue for the finishes on the parts. I was especially interested and pleased to hear that plain old Dawn DW liquid works well (cheap, easy to use and should be harmless to the finishes)
Old 11-04-23, 05:00 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

My experience so far is that anodizing gets "foggy" in my cleaner. I'm using dawn soap and hot water. I haven't done much experimenting to see if I can reduce the problem.
Old 11-04-23, 05:26 AM
spclark 

Bikes: 1972 Motobecane Grand Record, 2022 Kona Dew+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by bark_eater
My experience so far is that anodizing gets "foggy" in my cleaner. I'm using dawn soap and hot water. I haven't done much experimenting to see if I can reduce the problem.
Try using distilled water instead of tap water, hot or cold. Your piped-in water may be alkaline enough to be causing the fog.

Taking a tangent off this thread I'd like to see pics of ultrasonics large enough to do an assembled 11-speed cassette or a 78 rpm phonodisc, maybe with links to where they're being sold?

I have a smallish one made by Kendall, takes about a quart of liquid, a major PITA to clean 'cause the tray's integral with the chassis. There's a plastic basket for stuff being dunked so all the crud that comes off parts ends up settling out into the bottom of the tray. My go-to solution is tap water and Dawn too.

Avoid acetone whenever you can (or lacquer thinner) and use proper PPE and an abundance of caution if you do; they're both nasty and way too flammable for casual purposes. Most assuredly NEITHER is appropriate for use in any ultrasonic device!

Last edited by spclark; 11-04-23 at 05:31 AM.
Old 11-04-23, 09:12 AM
bark_eater 

Interesting about the water quality. I have a salt machine that makes our water "soft". I've experimented with a steam cleaner a bit and it seemed to fog the anodizing as well. I filled that with water from my shop dehumidifier, but it came to me second hand so may be pushing previous contaminants out.
Old 11-04-23, 12:16 PM
spclark 

Bikes: 1972 Motobecane Grand Record, 2022 Kona Dew+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by bark_eater
Interesting about the water quality. I have a salt machine that makes our water "soft". I've experimented with a steam cleaner a bit and it seemed to fog the anodizing as well. I filled that with water from my shop dehumidifier, but it came to me second hand so may be pushing previous contaminants out.
Softened water should work fine, particularly if you add some kinda liquid detergent. Dish liquid's common for this (Dawn, similar products); I've used liquid laundry detergent before in both ultrasonic cleaners as well as tumblers with stainless pins for cleaning other metallic objects though in that device not aluminum.

Remember utrasonic forms tiny bubbles at the surface of what you're cleaning that then 'explode', the effect being what you're after: to disperse contaminants. Those little explosions, if continued over time, may be causing the change in surface appearance that you're seeing.

Your post caused me to look into whether a common chemical might be worth trying on aluminum in an ultrasonic. Citric acid appears to be non-reactive with aluminum, in fact is employed for inhibiting corrosion before painting in industry. I use it in water solution often for de-liming stainless cooking utensils, and it works great for augmenting the cleaning effect of detergent in those wet tumblers I'd mentioned earlier. I buy a product called LemiShine, sold for use in dishwashers to cleaning their insides of built-up residues. For the object cleaning a little goes a long way.

The reactivity of aluminum makes using chemicals with a pH over 7 risky. Years ago I generated hydrogen gas for experimenting by combining sodium hydroxide (lye) with aluminum metal. Reaction's a vigorous one (2Al + 2NaOH + 6H2O → 2Na [Al (OH)4] + 3H2 ) and I caution those who would attempt this to use proper PPE in handling lye because it WILL hurt you if you give it the chance. Too, hydrogen burns in air very easily so be aware of the flammable nature of the main byproduct of this combination of materials.