Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Fulcrum Racing 3 or Pro-Lite Bortola wheels - what would you pick?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-15, 04:32 AM
Sito

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad, Votec VRC, Sensa Fermo, Principia R700, Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra, Ciöcc Singlespeed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi guys,

back story to my question: I used to do a lot of road cycling about 15 years ago but then for various reasons stopped. A few months ago I bought a cheap road bike (Felt F95) with the intention to use it as a means of Transport here in Madrid, where I just moved to, and the occasional weekend excursion. Now, as things have turned out I have not used it once to travel within the city but instead got properly hooked to cycling again, training 3-4 times a week for a couple of rides I have registered for later in the year. There are a lot of road riders in this area and when I find myself in a grupetto my cheap aluminium/Sora bike and I are surrounded by an armada of carbon fiber bikes with high-end components. I actually quite like the ride of the Felt and definitely want to use it at least this season but thought I should probably make some upgrades to at least get the weight down a little (currently around 10kg).

The obvious component to look at would be the wheels as a lot of weight can be saved there and I could keep using them in the case of a bike upgrade next year. I don't really want to spend more than around 400 Euros (450 USD) and after some pretty extensive research I have found two options that I just can't decide between:

1. Fulcrum Racing 3 Clincher version: these weigh 1550 grams for the pair and are currently available for 365 Euros - Wiggle | Fulcrum Racing 3 Clincher Wheelset | Performance Wheels
2. Pro-Lite Bortola: 1473 grams and 390 Euros - Wiggle | Pro Lite Bortola A21 Alloy Clincher Wheelset | Performance Wheels

The Fulcrums receive universally good reviews and seem extremely popular, so they look like a no-risk option. They are lightweight, with a very slight aero profile which I guess makes them the ideal wheel for hilly terrain which is pretty much what I want. However, the Pro-Lites look quite intriguing as well. They are even a little lighter, they are tubeless-ready (would not mount tubeless now but always good to be future-proof) and are wider which, so I have heard, means slightly better grip and comfort with the same tires. At 21mm they have a very low-profile though, so I am not sure if the lower weight will be cancelled out by the decreased aero effect?

I know Pro-Lite is not a very well known brand but my current wheels are actually from them as well (Pro-Lite Garda). They are much heavier but I think really good value for money. The hubs run really smoothly and the wheels are super-stiff. I have done around 2K km on them on some pretty miserable roads and no issues whatsoever, so I have no doubt the Bortolas would be good quality as well.

Well, in any case, I would be really interested in what you would get and why? Thanks for your help in advance.

Lars

PS I am weigh 88kg/194lbs

Last edited by Sito; 04-02-15 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-02-15, 04:42 AM
velociraptor
Fatty McFatcakes

Bikes: Aero Cheeseburger w/ Sr(h)am eBacon

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I'm partial to the Fulcrum R3's.

I've got a 2011 set with +/- 10k miles on them and they have been bombproof.

I like them so much that I recently bought (from Wiggle) a new set for my other bike.

The new ones look really sharp with their white hubs.
Old 04-02-15, 05:10 AM
raisinberry777

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I'd get the Campagnolo Zondas over the Fulcrum 3s - same hub and rim, nicer looking spoke pattern, and less money. To get the tubeless ready version of the Fulcrum Racing 3 you need the 2-way Fit version, and that's extra money on top of the regular one.

As for the Pro-Lites, that's a very shallow rim and unless you're quite light (say, under 75kg) I'd probably avoid them. That said, I've been very happy so far with my Pro-Lite Bracciano A27s (1540g actual weight, 1480g claimed) holding up well after 1000 kms as any wheel should and roll nicely. That said, I was lucky to pick them up very cheaply (225 Euros) which is why I went for those over the Zondas.

You'll probably be happy with either.
Old 04-02-15, 05:21 AM
Sito

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad, Votec VRC, Sensa Fermo, Principia R700, Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra, Ciöcc Singlespeed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by raisinberry777
....That said, I've been very happy so far with my Pro-Lite Bracciano A27s (1540g actual weight, 1480g claimed) holding up well after 1000 kms as any wheel should and roll nicely. That said, I was lucky to pick them up very cheaply (225 Euros) which is why I went for those over the Zondas.

You'll probably be happy with either.
Thanks! So the Zondas can be used with tubeless tires? I did not know that, guess but that makes them another option... where did you pick up the Bracchianos for 225? At that price I'd seriously consider them as well.
By the way I weigh 88kg, you think that's too much for the Bortolas? In the 90s I rode on very low profile Mavic MA40s and those seemed fine...different spoke pattern to the Bortolas of course...
Old 04-02-15, 05:41 AM
raisinberry777

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Same as the FR3, the Campy Zonda also has a Two Way Fit version for tubeless.

As for the Braccianos, I got them from Wiggle a few months ago, the deal was for silver only (which I wanted anyway) and the price for them appears to be much higher now. At 88kg, with the low spoke count and low depth rim, it's cause for concern. I've heard of people popping spokes on the Braccianos fairly often at >80kg, and the Bortolas seem like a similar build in terms of weight.

Also, if you're really interested in tubeless, the Ultegra 6800 wheelset is worth looking at. About 100g heavier, but if you're using the bike to commute, you want something that'll last the journey every time, think about that.

Last edited by raisinberry777; 04-02-15 at 05:44 AM.
Old 04-02-15, 06:47 AM
Sito

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
ah, ok, I'd take the silver ones but seems they are not available any more. Pro-Lite pricing is kind of difficult to compare, seems Wiggle are the only ones stocking them in Europe. Tubeless is not really a priority right now, just a nice to have, and I am not commuting on the bike as I am working form home these days So I am more interested in a low weight. I'd probably use those wheels on "special occasions" like the weekend club rides and the "marchas cicloturisticas" they do here and keep using the Gardas as everyday wheels, they seem indestructible as well.

Hopefully I can also shed another 2 or 3kg at least before the season gets into full swing
Old 04-02-15, 10:56 AM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an old Fulcrum Racing Zero wheelset and it is a great wheelset. The Racing 3 are probably 99.999% of the performance of the Racing Zero at one third of the price.

I don't have any experience with Pro-Lite, but I have friends who like their wheels. You are probably okay either way.
Old 04-02-15, 11:00 AM
tekhna

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No experience with the Pro Lites but I've put a lot of miles into Fulcrums and they're excellent.
Old 04-02-15, 02:23 PM
Sito

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
thanks for your info everyone! Doesn't really make it easier to decide but still very much appreciated
Old 04-02-15, 02:34 PM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What about Fulcrum Racing 5 LG's? Wider, cheaper, heavier...but not by a lot.

'14 carbon Synapse - '12 CAAD 10 5 - '99 Gary Fisher Big Sur
Old 04-02-15, 03:33 PM
aramis

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just bought the campy sciroccos for 240 shipped. They are almost the same wheels as the fulcrum quattros. They are kind of heavy but have 35mm rims so besides going up 8 percent grades they are probably faster than your low profile but 1400g wheel. I use them for racing and group rides.

Get some nice tires too. It'll make a huge difference.
Old 04-02-15, 03:49 PM
Sito

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by aramis
They are kind of heavy but have 35mm rims so besides going up 8 percent grades they are probably faster than your low profile but 1400g wheel.
well, that's exactly the bit I am not so sure about But in any case my current wheels have a 35mm profile and are on the heavy side, so I'd like those new ones for going up the mountains and hilly rides.
Old 04-02-15, 03:56 PM
tekhna

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sito
well, that's exactly the bit I am not so sure about But in any case my current wheels have a 35mm profile and are on the heavy side, so I'd like those new ones for going up the mountains and hilly rides.
I missed the part where you mentioned you're 88kg (about my weight too). I'd be a little worried on low spoke wheels at that weight. My Fulcrums are fine but I bought them when I was 170 pounds. Fulcrum rims are excellent but something to consider. For most of my everyday riding these days I use a 28/32 setup.
Old 04-02-15, 04:07 PM
Sito

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
sorry, only added that later when I realized it was kind of important Well, but you are still using the Fulcrums today, right? Just like you I would probably not use them all the time. The Gardas I am using now are 20/24 and feel really solid, they are 2150 grams or something like that but then they only cost around 150 Euros. I thought if you pay nearly nearly three times that you'd get something lighter that is nearly as solid?
Old 04-03-15, 10:17 PM
SteelCan

Bikes: LeMond Reno

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dtrain
What about Fulcrum Racing 5 LG's? Wider, cheaper, heavier...but not by a lot.
Going in a different direction, what about the Fulcrum Quattro? Just 65g heavier than the 5LG but provides a stiffer, (aero?) 35mm rim depth. (That is my current puzzlement)
Old 04-04-15, 01:17 AM
Long Tom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My bike came with 2014 FR3's.... I like them a lot. They've stayed true through a lot of miles under my 210 lbs, they feel really light, and they are nice and solid on descents.