Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Race Report Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-15, 08:02 AM
VanceMac

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by queerpunk
i would have forced my friends and family to watch.
It's not too late... NSC Velodrome Racing May 28 on Livestream
Old 05-31-15, 09:25 PM
aramis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Did the Wed Night Races in the Mens 3/4 field this week at Hellyer and got my 2nd Omnium win as a CAT 4. I was pretty happy and the racing was really fun. Tried out a new bike (giant omnium) and it worked out well. I changed the position a little and really like it, not as aggressive as before but I was more comfortable and able to control my position better I felt. I was thinking of trying some narrower bars too next time. I'm on 38cm road bars now.

I have enough points to upgrade to a CAT 3 now, so I was going to put in for my upgrade soon. Having to race in the 1/2/3 field seems fairly intimidating though!

I still have a lot to work on, but I'm having a ton of fun and learning more every time.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
podium.jpg (63.3 KB, 63 views)

Last edited by aramis; 05-31-15 at 10:02 PM.
Old 06-04-15, 01:51 PM
Bulldogsprinter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very windy day on the track today. Had our Thursday meet, Kilo and points race today. The kilo vent badly, again. First point race for me, proved that I'm a track sprinter, won every sprint I competed in, but only raced the first half before getting dropped. Good practice, the last sprint I won was really good, sat on the wheel of a guy pulling back the two man breakaway, almost got dropped when the side wind hit, thought that I had nothing left but we got them going into the home straight. Wasn't planning on sprinting as I was so tired, but you see the finish line and you just have to go. 100m to the line I accelerated and came from three back to take the points. Think I finished 4th, maybe 3rd. Match sprinting makes so much more sense; give it all you have, take a long break and do it again. This sprinting on tired legs **** is insane.
Old 06-04-15, 04:33 PM
Jared.
Uninformed Senior Member

Bikes: Dolan Pre Cursa, Cannondale R400

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bulldogsprinter
This sprinting on tired legs **** is insane.
Did the same thing yesterday. Last race of the day was a short points race. Contested the first two sprints and just pulled up after that.
Old 06-05-15, 12:24 PM
happybday29475

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did my first ever track racing last night at the Boulder Valley Velodrome. We had some rain delays and only got about half the planned races in, but still it was fun!

First, I'd like to thank all of the contributors here that helped me choose a bike and gave all the helpful pro-tips...that has shortened my learning curve by a lot! (I still have a very long way to go...)

My experience:
- mechanical night from hell - stuck valve core on a deep section wheel meant emergency scramble to borrow a wheel; way overtightened cog from shop mean stress, bloody hand, and no warm-up;
- I didn't really plan on competing, but more just surviving...just kind of get a feel for things, and that's what happened: I did fine - I finished in front of some and behind some, including, it turns out, somebody who knows their way around track racing;
- I had fun! And next week I'll start to gradually shift from mere survival to actual racing!
Old 06-08-15, 11:49 AM
rensho3

Bikes: Fuji Elite, 3Rensho track, Trek Madone 6.9, Specialized MTB, GT MTB, Cannondale Cad3 fixie

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old master's racers in So Cal. have a real dilemma. At 65, the only mass start racing that is age graded on the track is championship events. When you are younger, category racing is possible, but it's not fun to race against people 20 years or more younger than your are. However, I don't think it's a good idea to go to Natz and enter a scratch or points race without actually having raced a few before hand. That seems to be a recipe for 1) coming in last because you are scared; and 2) causing a crash because a) number 1, and b) no experience at speed in a crowd. All that said, I sucked it up and did the Saturday night race at VSC this week in the 1, 2, 3s. Great experience! I should have done this months ago. Yes, I got my butt kicked, but I actually did OK in the Miss and Out, and, most importantly, I don't think I got in anyone's way because no one yelled at me! I plan on doing it again next Saturday.
Old 06-08-15, 12:07 PM
Not the Slowest

Bikes: 2002 Seven Axiom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feeling your pain (57) masters racer here at Kissena. Masters race every other week and sometimes we only have 4-7 racers and on top of that it's a 45+ race. When the field does not race or isnot complete I just race in the 4's. You will learn alot by racing with the kids and on top of that training to push yourself WILL give you an edge down at Rock Hill. Remember that you could choose to just do the Sprint events and avoid the Mass starts. In anycase you do pay entry fees for each event and I am pretty sure you can sign up for any event when you are there in the am. That also gives you an idea of field numbers. When we do have omniums the masters are 45+ & 55+. Sadly a number of the 60+ crowd go to T-town or just stop coming. It is frustrating to not place but I do learn new skillsets each week. Good Luck Rob
Originally Posted by rensho3
Old master's racers in So Cal. have a real dilemma. At 65, the only mass start racing that is age graded on the track is championship events. When you are younger, category racing is possible, but it's not fun to race against people 20 years or more younger than your are. However, I don't think it's a good idea to go to Natz and enter a scratch or points race without actually having raced a few before hand. That seems to be a recipe for 1) coming in last because you are scared; and 2) causing a crash because a) number 1, and b) no experience at speed in a crowd. All that said, I sucked it up and did the Saturday night race at VSC this week in the 1, 2, 3s. Great experience! I should have done this months ago. Yes, I got my butt kicked, but I actually did OK in the Miss and Out, and, most importantly, I don't think I got in anyone's way because no one yelled at me! I plan on doing it again next Saturday.
Old 06-08-15, 03:32 PM
rensho3

Bikes: Fuji Elite, 3Rensho track, Trek Madone 6.9, Specialized MTB, GT MTB, Cannondale Cad3 fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. I forgot to mention that I have riding the track since the mid-nineties; I just haven't done a mass start race in the last couple of years because I felt old and slow and the only Master's races available were 40+. I loved mass start racing back in the day! I don't worry about not placing when racing the youngsters; I just want to ride well and not make mistakes.

Originally Posted by Not the Slowest
Feeling your pain (57) masters racer here at Kissena. Masters race every other week and sometimes we only have 4-7 racers and on top of that it's a 45+ race. When the field does not race or isnot complete I just race in the 4's. You will learn alot by racing with the kids and on top of that training to push yourself WILL give you an edge down at Rock Hill. Remember that you could choose to just do the Sprint events and avoid the Mass starts. In anycase you do pay entry fees for each event and I am pretty sure you can sign up for any event when you are there in the am. That also gives you an idea of field numbers. When we do have omniums the masters are 45+ & 55+. Sadly a number of the 60+ crowd go to T-town or just stop coming. It is frustrating to not place but I do learn new skillsets each week. Good Luck Rob
Old 06-08-15, 05:42 PM
Not the Slowest

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
rensho3. I started track in 2012. Never road a fixed gear anything until then, maybe when I was 8 or 9 years old. Had to learn to ride the track bike, How to race and like yourself NOT kill anyone including myself. So far so good or I would be unable to write this. Like all things we "used to do" it just takes a bit of time to find our comfort zone. Besides you will be shocked by how good you are.
Old 06-08-15, 09:16 PM
dunderhi

Bikes: Little Wing, XTRACK, Electron Pro, SuperCorsa, Paramount, & Thunderdrome

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Not the Slowest
Sadly a number of the 60+ crowd go to T-town
As an FYI, it's looking better for the 50+ crowd at T-town this year. On 6/13, 7/18, 8/15, 9/5 there will be PA BAR races with 30-49 and 50+ age groups. All other weekends may be split into the same age groups if there is a sufficient number of riders. That said, as a 50yr old cat 4, I still find the Cat 4 races with the 20-somethings easier than the Masters events. Unfortunately, some of my fellow Masters have came to the same realization.
Old 06-08-15, 09:37 PM
Not the Slowest

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the update at T-town, I am aware that I can race there on Saturdays but sadly Saturdays do not work for me.

The Masters always has a mixed bag of racers and at 6 days at Kissena series we were heavy on the 2's and 3's and a few 4's (me). Master races are really decided in the last 800m at Kissena, where as in the 4 races you need the lungs to last and actually I do better in those.

Originally Posted by dunderhi
As an FYI, it's looking better for the 50+ crowd at T-town this year. On 6/13, 7/18, 8/15, 9/5 there will be PA BAR races with 30-49 and 50+ age groups. All other weekends may be split into the same age groups if there is a sufficient number of riders. That said, as a 50yr old cat 4, I still find the Cat 4 races with the 20-somethings easier than the Masters events. Unfortunately, some of my fellow Masters have came to the same realization.

Last edited by Not the Slowest; 06-08-15 at 10:13 PM.
Old 06-12-15, 11:32 AM
Bulldogsprinter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Second day of Helsinki GP over (UCI CL3), first day was just for enduros, today was Kilo and Keirin. Field was sadly a little weak, only a few international riders, and then local pros and the rest of us mortals. First of the Kilo, something I felt I had potential last year but this year has been horrible(ok, weather has been bad with >10m/s wind). The weather was ok, not warm around 10-15C but little wind. I was second guy to start, first guy did the slowest start and 100m and then crashed in the first turn, just what you need when you're trying to focus. Ok my turn, normal manual countdown fiiive....., foooour...., 3,2,1, go!!! (try timing your breathing to that) First stoke not very good, but I get on the gear fast and feel like I'm doing ok down the back straight, kept acceleration down on the aerobars. Felt like I was going no where towards the end crossed the line feeling like ****, really disappointed. Final time was 1:11.87 so not so shabby considering my best time this year has been about 2 s slower, hopping to go sub 1:10 in the nationals in two months.

In the afternoon we had Keirin semifinal, only two heats, so best 3 advanced. Had 3 unknowns in my heat, got first position in the draw. After the start I settled in P3. When the derny peeled off the Latvian who was P1 did something unexpected and went up the curve and the speed dropped to 39kph. I was sweating bullet at this point, with a quite long gear this was something I did not want. After the bell the Latvian kept taking height, guessed his plan so got my arse of the seat and accelerated about mid banking and when he came swooping down the banking I hopped on the train. Half way down the back straight a team mate of mine jumped past, I checked my four for other threats but as none showed I stayed behind the Latvian coming into the last curve. I sling shot myself past him going out of turn 4 I dropped him fast and gained on my team mate fast, but took my foot of the gas when I knew that I was through.

The final: The luck of the draw; numero uno again. Got P4 but a team mate of mine (same as earlier) kept flapping about on the shoulder of the guy in front of me so I left him a spot in front me(big mistake). Knew he normally has a good kick so thought I was being smart. The derny peels off and the guy in P1(national champ) starts lifting the pace. I leave a small gap in front of me on the back straight, but don't do anything with it as I'm still waiting for the guy in front of me to go. He jumps, but he's not really going anywhere so I do a small seated kick and close the gap, but there is nowhere for me to go, the Latvian in front of me and my team mate on the shoulder. I have lots of speed left in my legs but no where to go, I accelerate into a small gap on the Latvian left but dare not pass on the inside. Time for last 200m 11.30 and my result 4th. Enjoyed the racing but pissed and the tactical blunder.
Old 06-13-15, 08:10 AM
Bulldogsprinter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Third day of Helsinki GP, match sprint! I'm 4th off in the qualification, took a slightly longer gear than the one I did my PB a few weeks back ~104". I wind it up for a little more than a lap (400m track) start putting the engines on half way through turn 1-2 and jump just before heading down the banking, didn't get a proper jump, so top speed was only 65kph, but was able to keep good speed and not slow down much so got a time of 11.69. Not happy I knew I had more speed than that. Luckily the field was quite weekish so ended up 5th. Our national champ did a new track record with a smoldering 10.53, number two was also under 11 and then we had two guys at 11.4x.

Due to a few of the rider quitting after this, we had an uneven number advancing (9), so we had a first sudden death round followed by 1/8 one off ride etc. I rode against number 6 as number 1 didn't need to ride. I knew the guy from before, more of a roadie with half a omnium in his legs already. Drew position 2, quite happy with that. Almost caught me sleeping in the start as he jumped right away. Chased him down, he tried to get me to go by going up the banking but I stayed behind. After the bell he kept accelerating and I kept waiting for him to jump, but coming down the back straight I jumped got pass him right away and kept going. Coming out of turn 4 I looked under my arm and he was nowhere to see.

Next race I was up against a rider from Estonia, yesterdays number two in the Kilo and .2 faster than me on the f200m, so the plan was pray for P2 or try got get him to lead. Well the gods of track cards were on my side, number 2. He starts off real slow down on the green, coming out of turn 2 he goes up the banking I follow. Going into turn 3 I take more height, he sweep down trying to force me to make a mistake. Front straight I'm behind and higher, still high up on turn 1. He sweeps down I follow close the gap and jump next to him, I'm able get my front wheel ahead on the back straight, butting going into turn 3 I have the longer way and he edged in front again. Home straight I'm able to increase my speed and he's fading fast, but the track is 5m to short. Lesson learned, should have waited a little longer before jumping had the speed to win, other option would have been to use the free speed down the banking and his slipstream nad jumped harder to get past fast and claim the lane. Top speed about 63 and 11.89 for last 200, by far the closest round of the competition so far. The guy I lost to later went on to win the bronze final with two carbon copies of the sprint he beat me with, "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

Next the final for minor positions 5-8. On paper I have the best kilo and f200m, my race to loose. Plan is take P1 and increase the speed steadily. I get starting position 4. I start fast to claim P1, start increasing the pace, after 150m we're already going 50kph, I keep lifting it a little and half through the back straight on the last lap I do a small jump, leaving enough to jump again if someone comes up, but they stay behind and I win easily. 12.50 for last 200, max speed just under 58kph. In hindsight I should have kick harder to see how fast I could go and for better training.

Last edited by Bulldogsprinter; 06-13-15 at 12:49 PM. Reason: update
Old 06-19-15, 08:47 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Last night at the track we ran a Ten Mile Final. I view this as a quintessentially American event, and at a lot of tracks, it's timed and the track keeps a record of the fastest event. So it's a funny race - a collaborative effort to finish as fast as possible, but still a race that everyone's trying to win.

When the gun went off a few riders pushed the pace pretty good, and then attacks started flying. only 13 laps in - 52 to go - and I was in a group of 4 that chipped off the front. One is Casper, our local killer - master's pursuit and team pursuit world champ (and record holder). The other two were solid riders but struggling to be in a move of that speed. They started skipping pulls and we started attacking. Finally, with around 30 laps to go, Casper and I bridge to the front group, and a few laps later the other two made it up.

And then Casper started attacking again. And again. The man is relentless. And at this point I stop being able to remember what's going on. We're going fast. There are other people around. At some point there are single digits on the lap card.

Coming around with 1 to go and Casper opens up his sprint out of turn 4 through traffic, but I'm right on his wheel. on the backstraight i consider starting to come around but Casper can go go go. I opt to wait. Between 3 and 4 I start coming around and my body and bike start shaking. i rely on the slingshot. severe tunnel vision. i'm coming around him but he's going faster.

it's a bike throw and i take it by a tire width.

fist pump and a roar. and when i come around for my victory lap i hear the announcer say that we set a track record for the Ten Mile Final - that we took 59 seconds off the previous record!
Old 06-19-15, 09:51 AM
Bulldogsprinter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last night at the track we ran a Ten Mile Final. I view this as a quintessentially American event, and at a lot of tracks, it's timed and the track keeps a record of the fastest event. So it's a funny race - a collaborative effort to finish as fast as possible, but still a race that everyone's trying to win.

When the gun went off a few riders pushed the pace pretty good, and then attacks started flying. only 13 laps in - 52 to go - and I was in a group of 4 that chipped off the front. One is Casper, our local killer - master's pursuit and team pursuit world champ (and record holder). The other two were solid riders but struggling to be in a move of that speed. They started skipping pulls and we started attacking. Finally, with around 30 laps to go, Casper and I bridge to the front group, and a few laps later the other two made it up.

And then Casper started attacking again. And again. The man is relentless. And at this point I stop being able to remember what's going on. We're going fast. There are other people around. At some point there are single digits on the lap card.

Coming around with 1 to go and Casper opens up his sprint out of turn 4 through traffic, but I'm right on his wheel. on the backstraight i consider starting to come around but Casper can go go go. I opt to wait. Between 3 and 4 I start coming around and my body and bike start shaking. i rely on the slingshot. severe tunnel vision. i'm coming around him but he's going faster.

fist pump and a roar. and when i come around for my victory lap i hear the announcer say that we set a track record for the Ten Mile Final - that we took 59 seconds off the previous record!

Congrats man!! The best feeling in the world when your tired brain is able to make a split decision while sprinting and it's the right one.
Old 06-19-15, 09:54 AM
VanceMac

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's a keeper!
Old 06-19-15, 10:57 AM
Velocirapture

Bikes: S-1 :-D

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

AWESOME!

The elusive top-step - taken in style
Old 06-19-15, 11:18 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
thanks, folks.

it's also a huge honor for my name to be on the track record for the 10-mile final. i worked really hard to keep our velodrome up and running, and to have that coincide with a season when i'm flying - and this on top of it - is just a very, very special feeling.
Old 06-19-15, 02:30 PM
rensho3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations! No other feeling quite like it!

Old 06-19-15, 10:18 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Congrats!
Old 06-22-15, 04:29 PM
rensho3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is off topic in the sense that it isn't about track racing, but I want to make a shout out for the San Diego Cycle-Vets who put on a 65 plus Super Master State Criterium Championship race yesterday. It was a fine race; I just wish more would show up. I also wish one of the velodromes in Southern California would step up and do the same. It seems that the USAC rule book, which lists the minimum number of Master's categories that must be offered has been interpreted by the state Promoters as listing the only categories that they will offer. I feel sorry for any women older than 35 plus, because they have no choice other than to race in that category. It's easy to argue it's an attendance thing, but I think that is a chicken and egg problem. There are no races other than championship events for those over 55 for the most part. All you younger guys will (sooner than you think) be in that category eventually; if you love racing like I do, you won't have any races to compete in unless you are willing to race with guys 20 years and more younger than you. You should support races for old guys with leaky prostates (thanks to Seth Davidson of Cycling in the South Bay for that apt term) by encouraging your team mates of that age to race and voice their discontent to the promoters when they don't have a class to race in. This way, when you get there, there will be races for you.
Old 06-23-15, 06:05 AM
wens

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's only one mass start road rac/crit in Ohio in July. If I was a 35+ woman I could race every weekend. I'll take the opposite opinion, too many masters races.
Old 07-06-15, 11:00 AM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Colorado State Masters Championships were held July 4 and 5. Results here Race Results | Boulder Valley Velodrome
And photos here https://www.facebook.com/bvvelodrome
Old 07-15-15, 11:45 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
2nd in cat 4 omnium tonight. Won scratch, and in points the same guy got me in the last 20-30 meters for 3 of the 5 sprints. 2nd in win and out by a half wheel with a grunt of pain haha.Will be putting in my upgrade to get my ass handed to me next week in the 1/2/3 field.
Old 07-18-15, 11:42 AM
Bulldogsprinter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
National Champs Finland, Team Sprint and Keirin: Today was our championships. Been training solely for man one in the team sprint last month and had high hopes for a good result. This week has been a bit of a roller coaster, my daughter was born on Monday so oly one track session this week and my new track frame arrived on Monday too. Anyway on Thursday I went to test my new Dolan Df4, my old frame was a 2010 Felt tk3 54cm with a noodly 14cm stem, way too short for me causing me back problems and robbing me of power. The new frame is a 57cm with 4cm more reach, with a 12cm stem it gives me ~2cm longer reach and my weight is further back. On Thursday I did three starts and that was enough for me to know that I rather risk a ride with the new frame.

After a good warm up we lined up for our start, team sprint 3x200m. Due to problems with starting electronics our start was postponed twice. I went out of the gates well getting atop of the gear fast going through the turn I felt slightly lacking in power, don't know why. Our time was 40.40 bettering our last record of 41.07. My starting 200m went from 17.41s to 16.78s and whopping 1s better than on Thursday. I feel I can do even better with a little more training and getting used to the frame. 40.40 was also the best time of the day so we made the finals.
Finals: The weather had changed to quite gusty and it was head wind on the home straight. I feel right away that the second starts was better, from the first pedal strokes through the turn and down the home straight. My time was 16.74, I believe that my finishing speed was down a bit due the wind and man two closed the gap between us a little too early. We finished with a time of 40.787, good enough for gold!

Keirin. With only 14 riders we start with semis right away, best three to Big final. In my start I was joined by the reigning champion. I drew the Ace, position one. I get a good start and get p2 behind "the Champ", I know him and know that he likes riding from the front and keep the pace high, so behind him is real good. The derny pealed off and high upped the pace a little, going a above the red line, trying to trick me to go early. I stay behind him all the way to the last corner where I get up on his hip effectively blocking all behind us forcing them to tame the real long way around. On the home straight I add a little speed he respond, but then thinks better of it and I win easily. Very slow round, last 200m 12.34s.
Finals. Starting gate 5. Get a great start right behind "the Champ" again. Then bang and hiss, a front wheel puncture by another rider, 4min off a restart. **** start get stuck in p5 behind a roadie Ik now is lacking in top end speed. Only option a flyer, not the best thing for me as I've lately only been training my jump fort the team sprint. Second to last lap I jump coming out of turn 2, 50m before the derny peals off. I pass everyone real fast hitting the front, out of the corner of my eye I see the champ jump and catch my draft. The fire of glory is burning bright so I try to do a Hoy, don't ease off just keep my foot on the gas. Horrible wind hit me on the home straight but no trouble I'm going great. Down the back straight I feel myself slowing and coming in to turn 3 "the Champ" jumps past followed closly by two guys. Turn 4 the roadie and another guy draw even with me, damned if I'm going to loose to them, I stand up. My knees just wobble and I think I actually slow down even more, I sit down and finish last. The guy who was p6 behind me gets silver, quite happy with my effort that launched him onto the podium. The Champ is still "the Champ". All in all a great race, proper Keirin with just enough argy bargy and elbows. Time for last 200m 11.49s. Quite happy with my jump, not so keen on my race smarts.

My goal was to do good in the team sprint, so mission accomplished, the Keirin was a nice bonus and good practice. Now two weeks to get myself ready for match sprint and the kilo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.