Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

When to ring your bell (Warning: vent alert)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

When to ring your bell (Warning: vent alert)

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-21, 02:58 PM
R.M.W.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ckelly_22
... how do you guys feel about cars honking the horn at you before they pass? ...
I appreciate hearing the car horn, whether a brief tap or a longer blare. It lets me know that the driver sees me and is aware I am there.
Old 11-10-21, 03:02 PM
OldRailfan
Old enough, hmmm?

Bikes: DeVinci, Bianchi, Nishiki, RBSM Mud Adder

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 82 Posts
Depending on the direction of the wind I start running my "e-gizmo" at a considerable distance and keep on "the button" until there is some reaction. Any MUP should require all users to pay attention.
Old 11-10-21, 03:03 PM
OldRailfan
Old enough, hmmm?

Bikes: DeVinci, Bianchi, Nishiki, RBSM Mud Adder

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by R.M.W.
I appreciate hearing the car horn, whether a brief tap or a longer blare. It lets me know that the driver sees me and is aware I am there.
No problem, as long as they then pass at a respectful distance.
Old 11-10-21, 04:24 PM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Drivers honking typically provoke me to make a few juicy words about their heritage, because it is really rude.

Your most basic task while driving or riding any vehicle is not to crash into stuff in front of you. You can damn well do that quietly without bothering other road users.

​​​​​

​​​​​​

Last edited by Branko D; 11-11-21 at 01:52 PM.
Likes For Branko D:
Old 11-10-21, 04:50 PM
Cramic

Bikes: Giant TCR Pro Disk 1

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 22 Posts
OP here. Thanks for all the input! Has been very interesting keeping up with it all and more than a few amusing posts.

My take home, as I thought, is that there is no definite “correct” way of passing and it was a bit much for the guy I passed to get bent so out of shape. Context matters. Not every pass is the same.

As a reminder I was cycling slowly on an MUP, came up behind a couple cycling in single file, and waited behind her until we’d passed the corners and I could be sure it was safe to pass with nothing oncoming. She was aware I was there due to the noise of my freewheeling bike and had looked back to confirm. When safe I moved to pass, she called to her partner “bike passing”, making any audible warning from me redundant (even if I had planned to bell him). Or so I thought. I passed as far right as I could (how it’s done in Australia/UK) and at approx. 10kmh. And he kicked off about no bell.

I agree with those saying that using an audible warning can cause people to behave unpredictably. My wife, a very smart person, had always taken a bell to mean “move out of my way” and would instinctively do just that, sometimes without looking.

And as a pedestrian or cyclist I usually maintain good situational awareness and keep left (Australia/UK) and would get rather frustrated if every cyclist pinged their bell when passing. Indeed this has not been my experience, few do ring their bell (different story if I’m walking my dog or two abreast, or similar).

I guess I’ll keep judging each pass on its own merits, use the bell subjectively, accept not everybody will agree, and that the occasional one or two will respond very negatively. Such is life!
Likes For Cramic:
Old 11-10-21, 08:27 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1610 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,225 Posts

This really pisses off the barkeep...
Likes For curbtender:
Old 11-16-21, 05:15 PM
onekgguy
Retired

Bikes: Collage Super, Eisentraut Ltd, Sarma Shaman (fatty), Giant Revolt Advanced 0 (gravel), Orbea Oiz M20 (mtb)

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 78 Posts
Ding away. I have no problem with it.

Kevin g
Likes For onekgguy: