Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shop owner raves about strapping tape

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-06, 06:51 PM
garth
garth

Bikes: 3Rensho, Team Raliegh, Colnago Arabesque, Bianchi, Lemond

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

A mechanic, store owner that I respect told me that I am really missing out if I stick with Velox rim tape for my road bikes. He says that it is thick, so that it makes mounting tires harder. It absorbs moisture weighing things down. He says it weighs much more than strapping tape, and is less reliable for double walled rims as well. A tire mounted with strapping tape will have more air and less rim tape reducing rolling resistance. Has anyone experienced this?

Garth
Old 03-07-06, 06:54 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Strapping tape is only very strong in tension. It's puncture resistance (what rim tape is designed for) is about as good as any other packaging tape = not very good. The only use on a bike I've found for strapping tape is for holding the brake cables to the handlebars on my road bike.
Old 03-07-06, 06:55 PM
TomM

Bikes: Surly SteamRoller

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 30 Posts
A tire mounted with strapping tape will have more air and less rim tape reducing rolling resistance.
I am not a mechanic but doesn't rolling resistance affected by tire pressure not the volume of air contained in a tire?
Old 03-07-06, 07:13 PM
Mchaz
Dances a jig.

Bikes: 2007 Surly Long Haul Trucker 54cm (Commuting/Wanna' go tour so bad), 1985 Trek 670 21" (Road), 2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara 17" (MTB), Cannondale DeltaV 600 (commuterized MTB), some junker bikes in my garage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TomM
I am not a mechanic but doesn't rolling resistance affected by tire pressure not the volume of air contained in a tire?
Yup. More volume can help with the amount of vibrations absorbed by the tire, but I doubt the slightly increased volume from thinner tape would make a noticable difference.
Old 03-07-06, 07:31 PM
zip22

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my guess is he was talking about the weight

i have also heard that strapping tape has negatives. like getting old and breaking, and being a pain to remove.
Old 03-07-06, 07:56 PM
dobber
Perineal Pressurized

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by joejack951
Strapping tape is only very strong in tension.
When is tape expected to work in compression?

I found strapping tape to be a suitable substitute for rim tape. You can overcome the problems with removal by place a layer of electrical tape beneath it.

But for a couple bucks, you can get proper rim tape. I make a point of keeping a couple rolls handy.
This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.
Old 03-07-06, 08:06 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by dobber
When is tape expected to work in compression?

I found strapping tape to be a suitable substitute for rim tape. You can overcome the problems with removal by place a layer of electrical tape beneath it.

But for a couple bucks, you can get proper rim tape. I make a point of keeping a couple rolls handy.
In the next line of my post I mention that strapping tape, like other normal tapes, has low puncture resistance. I didn't mention anything about compression.
Old 03-07-06, 08:43 PM
CBolt

Bikes: Too many

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Are you guys talking about the tape that has threads running lenghtwise? or the thick plastic stuff that comes on new bikes? Two layers of electrical tape works for me.
Old 03-07-06, 08:51 PM
TomM

Bikes: Surly SteamRoller

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 30 Posts
I am assuming it's the plastic stuff. I was surprised to see plastic on the rims of my new bike last year. The electrical tape sounds like a good idea.
Old 03-07-06, 08:53 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
There are several substitutes for Velox or other "real" rim tapes but Velox works so well, is easy to apply and remove and never fails that the "advantages" of any substitute are hard to see.

Strapping tape is very strong lengthwise but weak laterally (sideways) so a couple of layers are the minimum. It is hard to apply and worse to remove. Electrical tape is pretty weak overall and tends to leave a sticky residue. Yeah, any of these work after a fashion but why bother?
Old 03-07-06, 09:22 PM
well biked

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 89 Posts
First of all, I'll say I really like Velox and use it on all my rims except two. The two rims I don't use Velox on are Mavic X517's, set up with the Stan's tubeless sytem for my mountain bike. The first thing you do with the Stan's system is get rid of your old rim tape and put strapping tape (filament type) on in its place. The purpose is to get a fairly good seal at the spoke holes, although it's far from a perfect seal. Then you put the rubber rim strip on, mount the tire on one side, add the sealant, etc., etc. The reason I bring this up is that I installed this sytem three years ago on these wheels, and have used at least three different sets of tires on these rims with this system. The same strapping tape has been in there the whole time, I've added sealant periodically as the instructions suggest, but it's been pretty amazing to me that the strapping tape has held up as well as it has. And although I haven't ridden with these wheels much in the last several months, before that I put thousands of miles on them, all off-road, and have never had a flat with the Stan's system! So as a small part of this system, strapping tape definitely does its part.........and I realize this little story does very little to prove or disprove the merits of strapping tape in a more conventional setup. But I can tell you from experience it will stay put for three years, even with liquid latex sealant sloshing around on it.
Old 03-07-06, 10:22 PM
Chongo

Bikes: Russ Denny custom

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
I found it works fine for mountain bike wheels, but not for road wheels because of the higher pressure. And yes, it is a pain to remove -- especially if it's wet.
Old 03-08-06, 07:49 AM
powers2b
Listen to me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get a new mechanic.

Enjoy
Old 03-08-06, 09:14 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Originally Posted by zip22
my guess is he was talking about the weight

i have also heard that strapping tape has negatives. like getting old and breaking, and being a pain to remove.
Here's another: The fiberglass used to give it strength coming loose and puncturing tires. I've talked with someone who used strapping tape who had this problem and, taking his sage advice, never tried it.

Velox tape, and other rim tape brands, have an adhesive that isn't too sticky so it doesn't leave a lot of residue behind. That's the major problem with using tapes that are meant to be sticky like duct tape and electrical tape. The adhesive layer is very think and tacky. In the high pressure environment of a tire, the adhesive will be squeezed out from under the backing and end up on the tube and tire making cleanup a nightmare. Stick with Velox
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-08-06, 09:19 AM
capwater

Bikes: Giant TCR Comps, Cdale R5000, Klein Q-Pro, Litespeed Siena, Piasano 105, Redline Conquest Pro, Voodoo Bizango, Fuji Aloha

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Velox (or even Performance knock off) is so cheap. Find other things to worry about.
Old 03-08-06, 09:29 AM
Olebiker
Resident Old Fart

Bikes: Douglas Precision Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by garth
A mechanic, store owner that I respect told me that I am really missing out if I stick with Velox rim tape for my road bikes. He says that it is thick, so that it makes mounting tires harder.
Garth
If he is having trouble mounting tires because of rim tape he is using tape that is too wide. I wouldn't trust this guy with any of my bikes.
Old 03-08-06, 11:19 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Velox does not stretch as much under high pressure. It's better with high pressure tires.

Velox is thicker and provides a better cusion if there is a burr or a spoke head that is sharp.

The adhesive on the Velox is made so you can easily remove it to repair a broken spoke or a stripped nipple, and yet you can re-use it later with no problems.

The packing tape I have seen breaks apart and leaves pieces of tape and strong glue behind when it gets old, and one tries to remove it.
Old 03-08-06, 04:52 PM
garth
garth

Bikes: 3Rensho, Team Raliegh, Colnago Arabesque, Bianchi, Lemond

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well I did it. I decided that using one layer is a better experiment than two, because I want to get the full effect of lighter weight and more air. Boy is it easier to mount a tire. So far it's been inflated for an hour and no flat. (just sitting on my wall). Here is the essence of my experiment. My ridding buddy has regularly been able to beat me by 150 feet on a five mile sprint (time trial type deal). First I started taking two cups of strong black coffee before our 25 mile rides. Immediately I was able to reduce his lead to 70 feet and sometimes even pull even. I did the strapping tape and eliminated the stem nuts at a total saving of 25 grams. (for both wheels). My calculator puts a one ounce saving off the revolving weight of wheels at 40 feet per five miles (our usual morning challenge). The same calculator shows no appreciable gain of speed for one ounce off the weight of the bike itself (even on climbs it shows no real advantage). I know that there are a million variables in a weekly race between two human machines. (mood, diet, health, luck, sleep....). BUT when two guys are so equally matched, one starts to look for any little advantage that there is to find. There are days when he is doing everything he can to get an inch and I am doing the same. It's days like this when one wishes he an extra millionth of an available horsepower which might translate into one extra turn of the cranks in a five mile race.

Garth
Old 03-08-06, 05:04 PM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
i used cloth athlete's tape, seems to work fine
Old 03-08-06, 05:41 PM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
2 layers of duct tape works good too.
Old 03-08-06, 06:14 PM
Rev.Chuck
The Red Lantern

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Many shops have a cabinet, in the back, with Voodoo dolls in it for the guys that bring in damaged wheels with packing or duct tape on them. A nasty hassle they be.

I am in the woods and I have gone crazy.
Old 03-08-06, 06:20 PM
Roll'n Thunder
L2TR - W2TC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never seen/used the voodoo doll method, but I have seen more then one service manager apply the oft used "Idiot tax" when calculating the bill of a duct/packing tape user.
Old 03-08-06, 06:51 PM
Sluggo

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 58 Posts
Strapping tape works for a while, but it splits eventually, because there are no woof threads to hold it together. When that happens, you get a flat and you need to replace your tape.
Old 03-08-06, 07:45 PM
Al1943

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I use Velox on all of my rims but there is one downside, that's the part about soaking up water and holding water in the nipple/eyelet area. I always avoid water on the road for a variety of reason.

If you want to beat this guy you need to work on aerodynamics, body postion primarily, equipment secondarily.

Al