Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

One more excuse to skip riding when it's cold

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

One more excuse to skip riding when it's cold

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-22, 04:29 PM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
Has anyone alerted all winter olympians to this dire threat?
Likes For PhilFo:
Old 12-11-22, 04:37 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
XC skiing is a full body workout, cycling is not. It also takes a lot more effort to keep moving on skis than it does on a bicycle.

Are you actually claiming that a xc skier doing a leisurely pace on a slightly descending path is obliged to put out more effort than a cyclist attacking steep climbs?

I'm willing to grant you that xc skiing at an elite level is more demanding than cycling at an elite level, but what that has to do with the alleged benefits of cold working out is absolutely nothing.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-11-22, 04:39 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by PhilFo

This just in--- Qatar has just been announced as the site of the 2034 Winter Olympics.
Old 12-11-22, 04:50 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by PhilFo
I did way back in post # 80.
Old 12-11-22, 05:09 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Are you actually claiming that a xc skier doing a leisurely pace on a slightly descending path is obliged to put out more effort than a cyclist attacking steep climbs?

I'm willing to grant you that xc skiing at an elite level is more demanding than cycling at an elite level, but what that has to do with the alleged benefits of cold working out is absolutely nothing.
lol XC skiing is way harder than cycling. You can literally sit down, do nothing, and keep going forward on a bicycle
Old 12-11-22, 05:26 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
lol XC skiing is way harder than cycling. You can literally sit down, do nothing, and keep going forward on a bicycle
Cycling may well have an easier entry point, but it's as hard as you choose to make it. Elite level cycling is about as insane as it gets in terms of physical effort even if it isn't a balanced full body exercise.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 12-11-22, 05:43 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
XC skiing is a full body workout, cycling is not. It also takes a lot more effort to keep moving on skis than it does on a bicycle.
One is also much more inclined to stop on xc skis if a breather is needed - at least I am.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 12-11-22, 06:05 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz

Did you actually read the example I was giving? Please tell me how you can attack a steep climb on a bike by sitting down and doing nothing.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-11-22, 06:13 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
So that's like a 35% grade for a mile. How long does that take you?

I can't ski because of my ankles, so I'm both super impressed and very curious.
The skin track I’ve got timed is 1500’. I think it’s 1.4miles. That takes an hour. By that I mean I turn my watch on in the parking lot while getting ready and I’m sure several minutes pass before I go up. Wind, ice, and soft snow all change day to day so my time changes.

My semi-lost tangent the other day was up a run classified as “black” and while the skins stuck to most of it, there were many times I was hiking personal switchbacks through what would be waist deep if I wasn’t supported by skis. It’s trudging along slowly. I think that 1800’ took me an hour and a half. It’s pretty cool being the only set of tracks on a hillside though.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 12-11-22, 06:31 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Did you actually read the example I was giving? Please tell me how you can attack a steep climb on a bike by sitting down and doing nothing.
Comparing low effort on skis to high effort on a bike is just a piss-poor comparison. Also a bike provides a serious mechanical advantage of low gears which allows you to be more efficient and climb hills easier...( unless you climb hills on a singlespeed like I do )... XC skis have no mechanical advantages when going uphill. Cold air is more dense than warm air and adds a significant challenge when skiing or winter cycling
Old 12-11-22, 06:39 PM
gene99

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
challenged by air, eh?
Likes For gene99:
Old 12-11-22, 07:18 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
The Weasel Unmasked

From today’s ‘warm’ ride. Got a bit too warm and had to start unzipping at a balmy 43.

Brrrrrrr

Last edited by rsbob; 12-11-22 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Because I can
Old 12-11-22, 07:25 PM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
Cold air is more dense than warm air and adds a significant challenge when skiing or winter cycling
This is false when human physiology comes into play. Unless you're moving past a thousand feet per second. Air density between the coldest, driest air, and the warmest, moist air is not perceptible to a human being. The temperature and humidity definitely affect breathing, but the density itself doesn't affect a person's performance when moving through the air mass. Perhaps over a whole human lifetime, you may see a difference of a couple watts due to actual air density, but in reality, no.
Likes For PhilFo:
Old 12-12-22, 01:21 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Cycling may well have an easier entry point, but it's as hard as you choose to make it. Elite level cycling is about as insane as it gets in terms of physical effort even if it isn't a balanced full body exercise.
Making it as hard as you make it to be is of course true. But I'd go as far as to state that every activity has the lowest viable intensity below which it's just not possible to properly perform said activity. Take running or climbing for example.

For XC skiing the lowest viable intensity is funny as it takes years of experience to perfect a technique where you're able to move with very little effort. That also requires slack skis which in turn are much slower if you want to go at a decent clip.

However even with the traditional method in my opinion the lowest viable intensity for cycling is far lower than for xc skiing. If I had to go the same route of say, 50km's with my fatbike of with skis, the fatbike would be much easier.

But in the end it really is what you make of it.
Likes For elcruxio:
Old 12-12-22, 04:57 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Comparing low effort on skis to high effort on a bike is just a piss-poor comparison. Also a bike provides a serious mechanical advantage of low gears which allows you to be more efficient and climb hills easier...( unless you climb hills on a singlespeed like I do )... XC skis have no mechanical advantages when going uphill. Cold air is more dense than warm air and adds a significant challenge when skiing or winter cycling

My original point was that the differences between xc skiing and cycling were so great that assuming it was cold air making the xc skiers more fit was stupid. Thank you for confirming that.

Your cold air physics argument is total crap as PhilFo so ably explains.

BTW, you didn't answer my question. How do you attack a climb by sitting there doing nothing?

Where I grew up in Minnesota, there was a park across the street that had an old bridle path that people used for xc skiing. It had virtually no hills either way. Most people on it were not exactly knocking themselves out with effort.

Last edited by livedarklions; 12-12-22 at 05:05 AM.
Old 12-12-22, 06:15 AM
PeteHski

Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio

However even with the traditional method in my opinion the lowest viable intensity for cycling is far lower than for xc skiing. If I had to go the same route of say, 50km's with my fatbike of with skis, the fatbike would be much easier.
That's what I meant by easier entry point. But the sky is the limit when it comes to cycling effort. XC skiing may well be a more complete all-body exercise, but cycling is not limiting in terms of aerobic effort. Comparing distance travelled in different sports is meaningless too. Obviously I can cycle further than I can walk, run or ski XC. The great thing about cycling is that it allows you to go very easy or very hard as you choose or anything in between. Running and XC skiing are more limiting in this respect as the minimum effort required is higher.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 12-12-22, 11:26 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

BTW, you didn't answer my question. How do you attack a climb by sitting there doing nothing?
By eating unicorn horns?

Last edited by Lombard; 12-12-22 at 01:09 PM.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 12-12-22, 04:33 PM
wolfchild
Banned

I posted this over and over again...I ride singlespeed and fixed gear and my strategy for climbing hills is out of the saddle standing on the pedals and using my whole body for leverage, Hill climbing on a singlespeed is a very intense full body workout.
Old 12-12-22, 05:20 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2484 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
I posted this over and over again...I ride singlespeed and fixed gear and my strategy for climbing hills is out of the saddle standing on the pedals and using my whole body for leverage, Hill climbing on a singlespeed is a very intense full body workout.
Indeed. I've been riding fixed-gear bikes for going on 60 years, using the same 71-inch gear (more or less; 51 x 19 and 48 x 18), first in the hills of southern Connecticut and since then mostly in the hills of northern Baltimore County. Never bothered doing any other athletic activities---no running, hiking, swimming, weights, stretching, etc. Muscle mass has diminished over the last couple of decades (now about 5' 7" or 8" and about 115 lbs), but so what? Less bulk for my heart to have to push blood through.
Old 12-12-22, 05:49 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

​​​​​

So cycling isn't a full body workout unless you're doing it?

Are you intentionally clowning yourself at this point?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-12-22, 06:48 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Lombard
Hard to make a blanket statement like this. An activity is only as intense as you make it.
Actually there are studies which show elite XC skiers do have better VO2 than any other type of athlete including pro-cyclists. Besides, XC skiing is a full body activity versus cycling. There is a famous sports physiologist in Norway, Stephen Seiler, who has been studying this for decades. He is also a cyclist. So much for ethnocentrism.

Last edited by rsbob; 12-12-22 at 06:56 PM.
Old 12-12-22, 06:55 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by rsbob
Actually there are studies which show elite XC skiers do have better VO2 than any other type of athlete including pro-cyclists. Besides, XC skiing is a full body activity versus cycling. There is a famous sports physiologist in Norway who has been studying this for decades. So much for ethnocentrism.
Key word "elite". For the rest of us, a sport will only be as intense as we make it.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 12-12-22, 06:59 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Lombard
Key word "elite". For the rest of us, a sport will only be as intense as we make it.
Yeah, you’re right. Why waste time studying the best to extrapolate level of fitness and VO2 to the masses when he could have studied you and me? Good point.

Old 12-12-22, 07:14 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Ok kids. Time to chill.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Likes For Homebrew01:
Old 12-12-22, 07:42 PM
cjenrick

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
https://daveasprey.com/to-build-musc...your-workouts/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.