Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Another stuck seat post thread

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-23, 02:09 PM
cjenrick

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts

This time stuck in a Vitus plus Carbone frame

Afraid to try anything,.

I sawed of the seat clamp area , I can spin it without too much force but it refuses to move an inch in the upward space/time continuum.

Thanks for any help!

Oh, and it looks like I will need a 23 mm seat post if I get the old one out. Those don't grow on trees either. Heck. Sheldon doesn't even have it listed in his database.

Why did I saw the top off you ask? Somebody tried to jack my seat outside the pool hall and the busted it all up. I used the remains of the post in conjunction with an expander mechanism to pop loose the top tube for a re-glue.

Rubis fluted with internal expander.

Dang. Missed it,

https://bikerecyclery.com/rubis-983-...e-fluted-rare/

Last edited by cjenrick; 02-15-23 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-15-23, 02:27 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
$40 bucks? At that price probably not too “rare.” One will turn up.
Old 02-15-23, 03:26 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,436 Posts
First of all, apply some penetrating oil and let it wick in. Twisting it dry can make things much worse.

Clamp the post in a vice, turned so the post and frame point out from the bench. Now, twist the frame back and forth while pulling it away. Speed isn't your friend here and will only generate excess heat. Instead slow and steady, keeping the pulling force firm.

Patience is your best friend and be sure to watch the temperature.

It should be out in about the time I spent writing this on the cell phone.
Old 02-15-23, 05:11 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 6,491 Times in 3,213 Posts
If you can spin the post in the seat tube, but it won't pull out, you need to hammer it out.

If you cut off the top portion of the post, it's going to be difficult to hammer out, so you might have to drill a hole and put a bolt in there or something similar.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 02-15-23, 05:47 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by cjenrick

I sawed of the seat clamp area , I can spin it without too much force but it refuses to move an inch in the upward space/time continuum.
You shouldn't have done that.
Old 02-15-23, 10:53 PM
cjenrick

i like the hammer idea, i can fab together something like a slide hammer for pulling axles,

i am worried about using oils or other chemicals in fear of messing up the carbon tubes,

i think the expander must have put a small ridge in the bottom of the seat post which is locked into a groove it created in the carbon tube as it was tightened over the years.

thanks for the help!
Old 02-16-23, 09:25 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,753 Times in 966 Posts
I have used threaded rod nut or two washer and a socket to fashion as such. You need to make sure that the socket clears water bottle bosses internally. The washers can slip by the bosses sideways. Slip some oil in, should just pop right out. Honestly I don't think you need to all that, but then I don't have it in front of me either.
Old 02-16-23, 10:41 AM
KerryIrons

Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by cjenrick
ii am worried about using oils or other chemicals in fear of messing up the carbon tubes,
Not an issue. If hydrocarbons were bad for CF frames, then chain oil and thread grease would be damaging them all of the time. Doesn't happen.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 02-16-23, 01:58 PM
cjenrick

Cool on oil thing.

Mr 66 you mean pull the bb, insert 3/8 threaded rod down seat post, attach shallow socket or washers , thread on nut and yank on the other end ok I get it. Thanks!
Old 04-18-23, 08:51 PM
cjenrick

Ok, old thread that finally came out good,

i used the hammer idea with a twist, i drilled a hole in the seat post tube that was cut anyway, and atached it to a DIY slide hammer that i tigged together,

put a 1/4 20 bolt through the post and hammer and worked it out, one mm at a time. it was stuck pretty good, lots of gunk that aged over time and formed a glue like substance,

no damage to the carbon fiber seat tube,

slide hammer and post and bolt>

Old 04-18-23, 08:57 PM
cjenrick

and like SMD4 said, "one will turn up"

yes it did, 1 month later, in Belgium, 90 bucks and a month to get here, 23 mm, great shape, and now i have extra parts,

who knows, it might have belonged to Sean Kelley,

problem was, it was not the internal expansion wedge type,

good thing, those things scare me, over torque and you ruin the carbon fiber tube,

so i installed a M6 helicoil , plenty of meat on the aluminum lug for threads,

drilling the hole was stressfull, if you screw up, your seat will be forever out of alignment,

so i worked my way up the drill index, making slight corrections as i went along, either by puttting sideways pressure on the bit or using a small round file, used the top tube cable guides as a ref. came out good.

i also put some fiberglass cloth tape on the inside of the tube to keep it from splintering.

so now i have the new system installed that should prevent another stuck seat post,

and i just ordered a Campagnolo Nuevo Record rear deraileur on ebay (because the Mavic deraileur sucks) , weird thing, seller was Cupertinobikeshop, where i bought the last Nuevo Record from back in 1971.from Spence and Lillian Wolfe. This one is probably from Vance.

thanks for all the help!

cj

Last edited by cjenrick; 04-18-23 at 09:16 PM.