Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Mirror, thoughts and recommendations

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Mirror, thoughts and recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-23, 03:56 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
Mirrors I've tried have been bar end mount, clamp-on handlebar mount, hood mount, helmet mount, eyeglass mount and my eventual desired style is the eyeglass mount. My preference was Third Eye until I tried Take-A-Look The T-A-L is my current choice and has become a part of me so much so that when I hop on my bike to ride a couple houses down to my neighbor I feel naked without my mirror.
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 11-01-23, 06:27 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
You and cycco seem to think I am trying to speak for everyone. I am not. I have not claimed or implied that I am speaking for everyone.

- "Knowing what is coming behind you is of little value. Ride predictably and visibly and traffic will pass. Using a mirror to notice there could be an issue when a car is mere feet behind you is likely not helpful"

Using YOU instead of ME suggests speaking for others.
Old 11-01-23, 06:44 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
- "Knowing what is coming behind you is of little value. Ride predictably and visibly and traffic will pass. Using a mirror to notice there could be an issue when a car is mere feet behind you is likely not helpful"

Using YOU instead of ME suggests speaking for others.
Using 'you' is actually me projecting my view onto the situation of others.
Again, I am not speaking for others. I was speaking for myself about what I think the benefit, or lack of, for others.

You disagree with my view? Cool, I accept that. It's an opinion and a controversial one on the general forum of BF. I am not surprised my comments aren't fully embraced because I am not speaking for everyone, therefore I don't expect unanimous agreement.

Once more to clear up what I have posted so far in this thread- it is my personal view that seeing what's coming up behind you is of little value in most road riding situations. Some situations?...sure. I even listed a situation for myself. But for just riding on paved roads?...very rarely. The OP pointed out another instance where its beneficial and I agreed(though it could also be solved with a Varia and not a mirror).

The real issue is a lack of ability to turn one's head and look to see at the traffic situation. Mirrors, like the Varia, are great for seeing most traffic, but there are blind spots and to be fully aware of traffic a physical turn and look back is best. That's a rough situation to have to deal with.

As for the Milwaukee Slide, noted. You have to launch yourself off your bike so frequently that a cute term has even been coined. Pretty sure I would start playing pickleball if I had to ride in those conditions. Doesn't sound fun.
Old 11-01-23, 07:02 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 259 Posts
I've used mirrors often on our country back roads. I both listen and look for automobiles. On these roads I might encounter a vehicle every 30 minuets or not for hours. On these roads it is safer to just get off the road when a vehicle comes along. I ride wide tire bikes for just this reason.

I'm going to try one of these.
https://www.rivbike.com/products/ger...r&_ss=e&_v=1.0
Old 11-01-23, 07:43 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
- Knowing what is coming behind you is of little value. Ride predictably and visibly and traffic will pass. Using a mirror to notice there could be an issue when a car is mere feet behind you is likely not helpful.

The last time I saw a car directly behind me in my rear view mirror, I stopped, turned my head and stared at him. Then he drove out of the bike lane.

Most other times I look in the mirror to make sure the other side of my lane is clear enough for me to turn left to my street where I live.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 11-01-23, 08:07 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
I use this: Efficient Velo Tools Safe Zone Helmet Mirror (Black) - Performance Bicycle (performancebike.com)
It gives me a good view of what's coming up behind me, and allows me to just angle my head a bit to see regardless of my position on the bars.
Prior to this, I used one of the metal mirrors that clipped onto my glasses. I did have a crash, and the mirror broke off. The metal part that sticks out to hold the mirrror impaled itself in my helmet liner. Another inch and it would have impaled my temple or eye. The EVT mirror will snap off in the event of a crash and is easily snapped back on.
I use the mirror in conjunction with my Varia. When I get a Varia notification, I check the mirror to see if the driver is moving over to safely pass. In my experience, they will move over long before they get too close to me. If not, I'll look for a bailout spot. I've been hit once, don't want to go through that again.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 11-01-23, 08:13 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
I use a bar end mirror on all my bikes and woujld not ride without it.

the helmet moujnted mirrors are fine although I worry about having that piece of metal next to my eye.

The Garmin Varia radar is really neat ! it is suprising how far back it will alert on approaching traffic. 200 yards easy.

as Baldpaul says above, when the Garmin alerts, you look in the mirror, and the display gives an indication of the rate of closure.

however in a crowded city traffic environment it goes crazy. for country roads with relatively light traffic it really improves your situational awareness.

/markp
Old 11-01-23, 08:23 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
Oh sweetie, stop with this.
No.

All of it is my opinion and I am not speaking for everyone else. When I say 'knowing what's coming behind you is of little value', that is clearly my opinion.

If you couldn't realize it was my opinion, that's a you issue. You have already said you have been intentionally obtuse in how you read my comments here. Not much reason to continue if you aren't willing to bring your intelligence to the discussion ND instead want to be obtuse and try to play 'gotcha'.
I don’t have to play “gotcha”. You already did that yourself by stating that you don’t think mirrors have a value for you personally and then state that you use a high tech mirror because you feel you need one. You can’t even agree with yourself. How are the rest of us supposed to know what you think.

Using 'you' is actually me projecting my view onto the situation of others.
Again, I am not speaking for others. I was speaking for myself about what I think the benefit, or lack of, for others.

You disagree with my view? Cool, I accept that. It's an opinion and a controversial one on the general forum of BF. I am not surprised my comments aren't fully embraced because I am not speaking for everyone, therefore I don't expect unanimous agreement.

Once more to clear up what I have posted so far in this thread- it is my personal view that seeing what's coming up behind you is of little value in most road riding situations. Some situations?...sure. I even listed a situation for myself. But for just riding on paved roads?...very rarely. The OP pointed out another instance where its beneficial and I agreed(though it could also be solved with a Varia and not a mirror).

The real issue is a lack of ability to turn one's head and look to see at the traffic situation. Mirrors, like the Varia, are great for seeing most traffic, but there are blind spots and to be fully aware of traffic a physical turn and look back is best. That's a rough situation to have to deal with.

As for the Milwaukee Slide, noted. You have to launch yourself off your bike so frequently that a cute term has even been coined. Pretty sure I would start playing pickleball if I had to ride in those conditions. Doesn't sound fun.
You keep saying that you agree with sacr about mirrors for the situation of having a stiff neck and/or limited neck mobility but I can’t seem to find where you actually stated that. Your opinion that mirrors are useless for you is just fine. But can’t you see that others might have similar reasons and situations where they might need a mirror?

And yet again we have you telling us that you don’t think a mirror is useful unless it’s for your specific situation. Can’t you see the problem here? Haven’t you dug yourself a pretty deep hole there, sweetie?
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 11-01-23, 12:41 PM
Paul_P

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
I use my (mtb, bar end) Mirrycle bike mirror exactly like I do in a car, to keep track of what is going on behind me so I don't get surprised by anything. I also keep track of what an approaching vehicle is doing and will get out of the way if I'm not comfortable with the space it's going to give me. For this to work properly, the mirror has to be in a position that you can constantly glance to without moving your head, at least in your most common riding position. I tried head-mounted mirrors and hated having to move my head around to aim the field of view while I was no longer looking at what was up front. Maybe a chameleon would be better at this than me.

Just like a car, one mirror is not enough for blind spots so you have to keep track of those as well by other means, though I rarely have anything approaching on my right. When I pulled a trailer with my kids in it I used two mirrors (and two tall flags).
Old 11-01-23, 12:47 PM
bktourer1

Bikes: Diamondback "parkway" Spec. "expedition

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
+1 for I've found the Hafny brand mirrors have decent optical quality, and their blue anti reflective coating is a really good option.
Old 11-01-23, 03:57 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
For me, a small helmet-mounted mirrors works best. It's easy to find what you're looking for by just moving your head, which you normally do anyway, much like driving a car and monitoring your rearview mirror. Because it is mounted close to your eyes, and it's concave, your field of vision rearview is quite good.

Those who've never used a mirror will often say they don't need one, or that the radar is enough. Those who use a mirror, and are likely still using it, often say they couldn't imagine themselves riding without one. I'm of the latter camp. Yes, the dork factor is high for sure--it's hard to look cool with that little thing sticking out from your helmet. Being able to see behind me and what kind of traffic is coming up behind me is invaluable. Others may claim that this is of little value, but here are just some ways in which it is helpful to me.

1. When approaching an intersection I can see if a vehicle behind me is intending to make a right turn, and if it intends to pass me first to cut me off--the right hook.
2. When trying to get into left-turn lane to make left turn, I can monitor road ahead while find a gap behind to merge into left turn lane.
3. Seeing if vehicle behind moves over to the right when approaching me. If not, be prepared to wave, move right, bail right, etc.
4. Also useful in group rides to see if riders behind me are being dropped.

Radar is also useful, but when I commute I don't bother using my bike computer, or any other kind of head unit.
Old 11-01-23, 04:56 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
For me, a small helmet-mounted mirrors works best. It's easy to find what you're looking for by just moving your head, which you normally do anyway, much like driving a car and monitoring your rearview mirror. Because it is mounted close to your eyes, and it's concave, your field of vision rearview is quite good.
Radar is also useful, but when I commute I don't bother using my bike computer, or any other kind of head unit.
Surely you meant CONVEX, not CONCAVE. Many many years ago when I commuted I also never bothered with anything more than a rear blinky light.
Old 11-01-23, 05:07 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
Originally Posted by SpedFast
Surely you meant CONVEX, not CONCAVE. Many many years ago when I commuted I also never bothered with anything more than a rear blinky light.
I know what I said, but everyone knows what I mean. ;D
Likes For mcours2006:
Old 11-01-23, 05:34 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
I like the Mirrycle too. It's got the right convexity.
Old 11-02-23, 05:46 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
Take a look mirror on my glasses. I don't leave home without it.
Old 11-03-23, 06:52 AM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
I don't own a bike computer, but I do have a Garmin Varia. The Varia has a free phone app. that works well and is simple. The nice thing about using the app - with a mirror - is that as long as you can hear your phone you know what to expect and when to look at the mirror - don't need to see the phone - more of your attention can be focused forward. The app. makes 3 different sounds that indicate car approaching, car approaching at high speed, and all clear.

After hearing them a few times, you quickly learn what they mean. You can keep your phone in your pocket, handlebar bag, etc. - don't need to mount it on your bars.
Old 11-03-23, 09:50 PM
polyrhythmia

Bikes: Trek 5600 Carbon road bike, Giant Anyroad Comax gravel bike, Cruzbike QX100

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
On a mass ride like RAGBRAI, a mirror is even more useful than when riding solo. My favorite mirror is a helmet mount mirror that uses flexible bendable tubing like used to cool machine tools.
Old 11-04-23, 12:39 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
- Knowing what is coming behind you is of little value. Ride predictably and visibly and traffic will pass. Using a mirror to notice there could be an issue when a car is mere feet behind you is likely not helpful.
- Use a Garmin Varia radar with included light. The light patter changes when cars approach, to help them notice you and the radar displays the vehicle on your phone or gps and gives a visual so you can tell how fast the car is approaching, as well as how many are behind you at any given time.

How early should a vehicle move over for you to not be concerned? Not trying to argue, but if it hasnt moved over 100' before passing...then what? Do you bail into the grass along the road? Do you swerve into the road further to be seen? I am unsure why a mirror to confirm a vehicle has moved over is beneficial when many cars dont really move over before probably 30' or so, based on what I see when riding and driving.

Anyways, a couple old guys I know and rode with for years have eyeglass mirrors and love em. Thats probably the way to go since you use bar end shifters.
You know what? I can agree with at least the first part of your post. It is very likely that a vehicle closing on you from the rear fast enough to maim or kill you, will not allow you enough time to avoid being hit, even if you see it in your mirror. Almost every car in a eyeglass/helmet mirror looks like it is on a collision course, because the view is so tiny. Cyclists have indeed thrown themselves in ditches, convinced they were about to be nailed. They were not, but their injuries from such a horrible dismount will be lasting ones. Better to take the hit. Your bike would absorb at least some of the impact. You might come out of it better than you think.

I don't worry about it. Obviously, it has never happened. I attribute my outstanding survival metrics to clean and sober living. I also return Library books on time ,or pay any overdue fines promptly. There is little anyone can do beyond that. When it's your time ... so, given that we agree on at least this much, I'm kind of surprised that you then feel the need to spend pretty much what I paid for 'Simply Red' on a piece of kit that tells you what you already know: cars are behind you. Garmin is a billionaire by now. Mostly by making GPS devices which I fully endorse as essential. Then he got kind of silly and started making overpriced toys for people with more money than sense.

I'll make yet another endorsement for the EVT SafeZone helmet mirror. I don't agree that bar mounted mirrors are equivalent to putting mirrors on steering wheels. Handlebars do NOT steer the front wheel through a 3:1 gear reduction! This thread has seen some silliness. Yes it has. Bar mounted mirrors are just fine, if you like them. But if you train yourself to use an EVT SafeZone you will have a valuable tool for checking your six. NOT to determine if the cager behind you is on a collision course. S/he is NOT. I guarantee it. But, if you want to cross their lane, to make a left turn say, it will be necessary to know the state of things behind you, and a mirror is a great, and reasonably priced, tool to do it with.
Old 11-04-23, 05:38 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
The last time I saw a car directly behind me in my rear view mirror, I stopped, turned my head and stared at him. Then he drove out of the bike lane…..
I’ve had the same general experience. If I see a motorist approaching and I sense a threat, I make sure I’m clear for 100’ then I turn around and give ‘em the evil eye.

It’s worked so far. When it doesn’t you won’t hear about it from me …

I also commute on drop bar bar end shifters. I couldn’t find a bar-mount that wouldn’t interfere with my hand positions. I use a Take-A-Look on my helmet. It adds greatly to my situational awareness.
Old 11-04-23, 10:24 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
Originally Posted by sacr
The mirror I purchased off ebay is a copy of this, but optically was useless. Have you used one of these to verify that it has a proper glass flat mirror in it? More than likely, I will need to purchase online and not be able to inspect how good the mirror is.

Lol, at least no-one told me to get rid of the bar end shifters, get a new bike etc)

Thanks for the other helmet recommendations, I havent tried them. One concern is if one glues them into place how do you do a quick adjustment to avoid intense reflections, like when the sun is directly behind you?
I use a spot of hot glue on the helmet to reduce vibration. The mirror still pivots all around out on the end of the 'stick'. It can be tightened to restrict it's movement somewhat, but can still be pushed up and out of the way when the glare catches it just right. HTH
Old 11-05-23, 08:03 AM
polyrhythmia

Bikes: Trek 5600 Carbon road bike, Giant Anyroad Comax gravel bike, Cruzbike QX100

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
EVT Safe Zone helmet mirror works really great. Flat, does not vibrate much, but the stalk needs to be zip tied down.
Old 11-05-23, 09:29 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by polyrhythmia
EVT Safe Zone helmet mirror works really great. Flat, does not vibrate much, but the stalk needs to be zip tied down.
EVT makes a mini base that uses adhesive and is a whole lot shorter than the original mount. Although I tie mine down just to be sure, it really doesn’t need it. The mini base can be used on an existing mirror. It just plugs into the same socket.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-05-23, 10:12 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3955 Post(s)
Liked 7,303 Times in 2,948 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Cyclists have indeed thrown themselves in ditches, convinced they were about to be nailed. They were not, but their injuries from such a horrible dismount will be lasting ones. Better to take the hit. Your bike would absorb at least some of the impact. You might come out of it better than you think.
I think this would rarely be the case. Like, virtually never.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 11-05-23, 05:55 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I think this would rarely be the case. Like, virtually never.
You completely miss the point: most cyclists are wrong when they think a rear ending is imminent. Leaving your bike in an unplanned, hasty, ditching maneuver is extremely risky! You can end up paralyzed or worse. Better to hold on because quite likely the worst that happens is a close pass. The virtually never would be the getting hit part. Wouldn't it suck to completely trash your future on a bad hunch? I'd love to find that clip that was uploaded here of the guy getting rear ended by a 55 mph sedan. Dude had no chance. BOOM. It does occasionally (but virtually never) happen. But he survived! Most of us don't ride where we are exposed to traffic that fast. I wouldn't have been on that road. Period. Nor would I ride at all if I had to be primed to jump off at any second on the roads that I do ride around on.
Old 11-05-23, 06:03 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3955 Post(s)
Liked 7,303 Times in 2,948 Posts
You completely miss the point.
Nope. You literally stated it would be better to get hit by a car than going into the ditch to avoid getting hit:
Better to take the hit. Your bike would absorb at least some of the impact. You might come out of it better than you think.

Faulty thinking.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.