Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Origami Lotus ?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Origami Lotus ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-23, 07:07 PM
Bleu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
Origami Lotus ?

Yeah, it's a re branded something made in China. Anyone own one of these ? What size wheels (305 or 349) ? Actual wheelbase, the website is vague ? Actual weight? Is the fork 100mm or 74mm spacing or something truly bizarre ? I ask because all my bikes have dynohubs and I do 70% of my cycling after dark... What about compatibility with Brompton bag frame and bags ? The components are something by Sensah, any good, awful or what ? Thanks for honest input!

Last edited by Bleu; 12-29-23 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Adding questions
Old 12-30-23, 08:23 AM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts
I'm not sure how many folks here either own or have ridden the Lotus. The Origami website has a chat feature and the owner's contact info. You can speak to him and get the answers to your questions.
Old 12-30-23, 09:48 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked 849 Times in 593 Posts
Ask a question in this thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/folding-b...ami-lotus.html
Old 01-01-24, 04:36 PM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by Bleu
Yeah, it's a re branded something made in China. Anyone own one of these ? What size wheels (305 or 349) ? Actual wheelbase, the website is vague ? Actual weight? Is the fork 100mm or 74mm spacing or something truly bizarre ? I ask because all my bikes have dynohubs and I do 70% of my cycling after dark... What about compatibility with Brompton bag frame and bags ? The components are something by Sensah, any good, awful or what ? Thanks for honest input!
the wheels are 349, weight is under 25 pounds, 100 front hub (due to disc brakes), wheelbase is 37”. The Sensah derailleur and gear selector are smooth and crisp.

Last edited by Pinigis; 01-01-24 at 04:53 PM.
Old 01-04-24, 03:25 PM
edwong3

Bikes: 2023 Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 46 Posts
I've seen that bike elsewhere.

Not too long ago, Temu.com, an online retailer that sells a diverse range of products for rock bottom prices was believe it or not, offering a bike very much like the Lotus, albeit with likely lower spec components. I remember that they were selling for about $450 for a 9-speed model. For around $75 to $00 less, you could have gone for the 7-speed. Then not long after, they were running an amazing sale for the 7-speed for about $269!!! I think they had sold out of the 9-speeds and were getting rid of the remaining stock of the 7-speed; I don't know. Maybe they still have some left or not. And the cool thing is that it comes with the Brompton style front luggage carry block. It was a good deal if the bike was legit with build quality, ride, etc. I was tempted but hesitate too long. I just recently got a Zizzo Liberte for just over $300 on special from Target.com and am glad that I acted promptly this time around as the sale is over and is back to $430. But I am curious as to what impressions are about the Lotus.

Originally Posted by Bleu
Old 01-04-24, 04:51 PM
Ron Damon

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 567 Times in 356 Posts
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Originally Posted by edwong3
Not too long ago, Temu.com, an online retailer that sells a diverse range of products for rock bottom prices was believe it or not, offering a bike very much like the Lotus...
Today there's a plethora of bikes that resemble the Or!gam! L0tus. Polygon, Element, Mint, etc., etc. What do they all have in common? They seek to emulate the original FnHon Gust 16", jump on its bandwagon and capitalize on its popularity. They fill a market niche among people who are unaware of, or unable or unwilling to build Gust frameset into a complete bike yet want a 16" folding bike that resembles the now iconic, instantly recognizable Gust. I should know for I was the first person to highlight it on this channel and to purchase an original Gust frameset as far back as 2018, and have recently built one.

This is the original FnHon Gust 16" ​which started it all and is the object of widespread emulation today. The Gust 16" is not without faults and flaws, but a dearth of imitators, bandwagoneers and copycats is not among them.

Last edited by Ron Damon; 01-08-24 at 11:19 PM.
Old 01-04-24, 06:24 PM
midnite13

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you know of any rear racks that could be mounted on the Gust/Lotus using the same rivnut (?) where the rear fender is installed?
Old 01-05-24, 03:32 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by Pinigis
the wheels are 349, weight is under 25 pounds, 100 front hub (due to disc brakes), wheelbase is 37”. The Sensah derailleur and gear selector are smooth and crisp.
It seems to me that with such a short wheelbase, short reach and short saddle to handlebar distance, this frame won't fit for average and above average male US and EU riders and surely not riders up to 6'1" (even if the seatpost is long enough for riders up to 6'1") !?
Old 01-05-24, 05:57 AM
Pinigis 

Originally Posted by Jipe
It seems to me that with such a short wheelbase, short reach and short saddle to handlebar distance, this frame won't fit for average and above average male US and EU riders and surely not riders up to 6'1" (even if the seatpost is long enough for riders up to 6'1") !?
we have one customer that is 6’3” and fit comfortably on the Lotus. I didn’t expect it to work for him, but bit did.
Old 01-05-24, 06:03 AM
Jipe

What is the saddle handlebar distance of the Origami Lotus ?

Using your picture of the bike and the given wheelbase, it seems to be only about 59cm/23.20" ? Much shorter than on a Brompton H or Birdy with sport stem.

For a tall rider, the result is like with the latest Decathlon, the rider has an excessively upright position and the bike seems ridiculously small/short under him:

I guess its the same for the Fnhon Gust ?

Last edited by Jipe; 01-05-24 at 06:52 AM.
Old 01-05-24, 09:10 AM
edwong3

Let me chime in. On many occasions, life is about compromises. If you live in a tiny apartment or bedroom, drive a sub-compact car or have to "park" your bike under a desk at work, such small bikes like the one in the photos you posted present the better option. Yes, models from Brompton and Birdy fold quite small too and you can do pretty much the same things I just mentioned but price might be a consideration since these bikes are not within everyone's budget.

As for how tiny the bike looks under a relatively tall rider, is up to how secure that individual is about themselves and having a healthy self-image. And lastly, these very compact bikes are "last mile" applications anyway. It's not like one is going to cross continents riding one of these. Horses for courses as they say.

Using your picture of the bike and the given wheelbase, it seems to be only about 59cm/23.20" ? Much shorter than on a Brompton H or Birdy with sport stem.

For a tall rider, the result is like with the latest Decathlon, the rider has an excessively upright position and the bike seems ridiculously small/short under him:

Likes For edwong3:
Old 01-05-24, 09:45 AM
Pinigis 

The maximum seat-to-handlebar length is 25 3/8". The length increases as the seat and handlebar heights increase.

Last edited by Pinigis; 01-05-24 at 03:11 PM.
Old 01-05-24, 04:49 PM
Jipe

Let me chime in. On many occasions, life is about compromises. If you live in a tiny apartment or bedroom, drive a sub-compact car or have to "park" your bike under a desk at work, such small bikes like the one in the photos you posted present the better option. Yes, models from Brompton and Birdy fold quite small too and you can do pretty much the same things I just mentioned but price might be a consideration since these bikes are not within everyone's budget.

As for how tiny the bike looks under a relatively tall rider, is up to how secure that individual is about themselves and having a healthy self-image. And lastly, these very compact bikes are "last mile" applications anyway. It's not like one is going to cross continents riding one of these. Horses for courses as they say.
The Brompton and even the Birdy fold smaller (and better) than the Decathlon and the Fnhon Gust.

But, indeed, the price is (much) higher.

Many people do much more than just the last mile with their Brompton or Birdy, they are even used for touring.
Old 01-05-24, 05:14 PM
Ron Damon

Let me chime in. On many occasions, life is about compromises. If you live in a tiny apartment or bedroom, drive a sub-compact car or have to "park" your bike under a desk at work, such small bikes like the one in the photos you posted present the better option...

.... And lastly, these very compact bikes are "last mile" applications anyway. It's not like one is going to cross continents riding one of these. Horses for courses as they say.
Really, Ed? I live neither in an apartment nor am space constrained. I choose to build and ride 16" (ISO305) bikes, not out of necessity, but rather due to their lively ride and spritely handling characteristics, quirky X-factor and relative uniqueness. They accelerate like a jack rabbit and are nimble, highly maneuverable and agile, turning on a dime, offering frolic and glee like no larger wheel or longer bicycle.

And no, they are not necessarily last mile rides. So long as you have customized the fit, are in good physical condition and are not unordinarily tall, you can ride them long distance. I've toured cross-country for weeks and cross-province for days in a 16" folder. My personal one-day record is 111km (69 miles). Two such examples:Don't short change these bikes.

Last edited by Ron Damon; 01-06-24 at 11:47 PM.
Likes For Ron Damon:
Old 01-06-24, 05:01 PM
edwong3

Ron,
Why this reaction? I wasn't scolding you or trying to lecture you. You're a grown man after all. I was merely trying to add another perspective to your previous remarks. Show me where I was being dismissive of small folders. Quite the contrary. You enjoy having fun building them and appreciate their quirkiness., and that is fine. Others have to own one in that size class because of their unique situation, circumstances and needs.

Yes, I know that a number of people do tours and long rides on these compact bikes, but it is not the most common use case scenarios. Much like those folks who tour on a single or fixed gear bike, and they are accused frequently of being "crazy" for doing so.

Sorry if I offended your sensibilities. Now I know for the future.

Ride safe,
Ed

Originally Posted by Ron Damon
Really, Ed? I live neither in an apartment nor am space constrained. I choose to build and ride 16" (ISO305) bikes, not out of necessity, but rather due to their lively ride and spritely handling characteristics, quirky X-factor and relative uniqueness. They accelerate like a jack rabbit and are nimble, highly maneuverable and agile, turning on a dime, offering frolic and glee like no larger or longer bicycle.

And no, they are not necessarily last mile rides. So long as you have customized the fit, are in good physical condition and are not unordinarily tall, you can ride them long distance. I've toured cross-country for weeks and cross-province for days in a 16" folder. My personal one-day record is 111km (69 miles). Two such examples:
Don't short change these bikes.

Last edited by edwong3; 01-06-24 at 05:06 PM.
Old 01-06-24, 05:12 PM
Ron Damon

Ron,
Why this reaction? I wasn't scolding you or trying to lecture you. You're a grown man after all. I was merely trying to add another perspective to your previous remarks. Show me where I was being dismissive of small folders. Quite the contrary. You enjoy having fun building them and appreciate their quirkiness, and that is fine. Others have to own one in that size class because of their unique situation, circumstances and needs.

Sorry if I offended your sensibilities. Now I know for the future.

Ride safe,
Ed
Ed,
Why this reaction? I didn't interpret it as scolding or lecturing on your part. And you offended no sensibilities.

I did nothing more than to correct and add to a largely incomplete, anachronist perception of 16" folders in 2024.
Old 01-06-24, 05:29 PM
edwong3

It's OK...

Originally Posted by Ron Damon
Ed,
Why this reaction? I didn't interpret it as scolding or lecturing on your part. And you offended no sensibilities.

I did nothing more than to correct and add to a largely incomplete, anachronist perception of 16" folders in 2024.
You know, sometimes we humans will have our perceptions twisted for lack of a better word. Maybe I thought you overreacted when it was actually me who overreacted. And just to make myself clear, I am not overlooking or downplaying 16-inch folders. On the contrary, I was looking at folders in that size starting with the ubiquitous Brompton and other brands but somehow wound up buying a 20-incher instead. Go figure.

Ed
Likes For edwong3:
Old 01-06-24, 07:35 PM
Bleu

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
As always, I do like it when Ron chimes in with something I can't get. It is cool to see the stuff he can acquire in (Indonesia is it ?) and his subsequent builds are great. As far as Ed's compromises thing, well my folders are my only bikes, other than the two ridgid bikes in storage. Yes, my quarters are quite tiny, and I am constantly on the move and would love to eliminate compromises as much as possible. My current folder did over 1800 miles last year, with a couple of 80 mile days, fit isn't one of the issues I have. All that said , I don't know how compromised the handling would be on a bike with a 37" wheelbase.
Old 01-06-24, 11:24 PM
Jipe

The problem of the short wheelbase is that the bike is then usually also short overall with a short saddle to handlebar distance and short reach (excepted if a special stem is mounted like on the Mezzo) and as consequence the position on the bike isn't good for US or EU male riders with average or above average size.

There are many bikes with such a short wheelbase sold in Asia aimed at the Asiatic market where riders are in average less tall than in US and EU. This is for instance the case of the beautiful Tyrell bikes made in Japan and aimed at the Japanese market and unfortunately unusable for many US and EU riders (maximum allowed weight is also often a problem because average riders weight is also lower in Asia, for the Tyrell it is max 85kg).