Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Stuck Part!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-06, 10:24 PM
jmraspa
Stand & Jump!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stuck Part!

I'm repainting an old cruiser that I picked up at a yard sale. I'm in the process of stripping it right now, and I'm having some trouble with the fork. I got it off the frame, but the bottom cup? or curved metal washer for holding the bearings in won't come off the fork. It seems like the part wasn't designed to come off, but I would like to remove it so that I can repaint the entire frame uniformly. Also, there is a decorative piece of metal underneath it that covers the part where the fork splits, and not removing this would make repainting pretty hard too.

Well, if anyone knows anything, I would appreciate the help!
Old 03-20-06, 10:42 PM
Chongo

Bikes: Russ Denny custom

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Photos would help.
Old 03-20-06, 10:53 PM
concernicus

Bikes: doesnt matter. just ride.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sounds like you need a crown race remover. the part you are describing is called the crown race, and it is not designed to come off easily. take the fork to your lbs and they will remove it for you.

cheers
Old 03-20-06, 11:03 PM
MattP.
Obeying Gravity

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by concernicus
sounds like you need a crown race remover. the part you are describing is called the crown race, and it is not designed to come off easily. take the fork to your lbs and they will remove it for you.

cheers
Yep, it's the crown race. You can remove it (poor man's method) with a screw driver. Than pick up about a foot or so of 1" pipe. It should fit right over the steertube. Then just pound it back on.
Old 03-21-06, 03:24 AM
jmraspa
Stand & Jump!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MattP.
Yep, it's the crown race. You can remove it (poor man's method) with a screw driver. Than pick up about a foot or so of 1" pipe. It should fit right over the steertube. Then just pound it back on.
How would I do it with a screwdriver? I don't want to bend anything out of shape! I'm a little nervous because I've always held back from using brute force on my bike.
Old 03-21-06, 11:22 PM
toolboy

Bikes: Steve Bauer Whirlwind, Nishiki International, Rocky Mountain Element 30 1984 Cinelli Super Corsa w/Campy 50th, Surly LHT.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got a vise? Open the jaws so the steerer tube slides between them. Rest the race on the jaws and thump the top of the tube (protect or use plastic mallet) Be careful using a pipe to reinstall - be sure it hits the very edge - not the bearing surface.
Old 03-22-06, 09:37 AM
powers2b
Listen to me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tape over it and paint around it.
By removing it you may be causing problems later and if the bike is old enough you may have difficulty replacing the race if you damage it.

Enjoy