Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Does Anyone Own a Retrospec Harper with a Coaster Brake?

Search
Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-23, 05:59 PM
RoadWearier

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 75 Posts

Thought I'd post here as well. I want a single-speed with a Coaster Brake. Basically a cruiser without the cruiser body position. Love the simplicity of one speed and a coaster but want to be able to stand on the pedals.

They are on sale for $180 but Retrospec seems to get a lot of hate on here. I figured that these bikes are simple enough that they really can't screw them up too badly with cheap parts. Am I wrong? If not this one, are there other suggestions?
Old 09-06-23, 10:05 AM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts
Go for it! I've had a Retrospec Harper freewheel SS for several years and it has been fun to ride and trouble-free. The only parts I have replaced were because I like to tinker and upgrade. For $179 and free shipping you are not taking a big financial risk. Just be careful to order the correct size and inspect and adjust the wheel/headset bearings. They tend to be adjusted too tight coming out of the factory in China.

Best of luck and keep us updated!

Last edited by GeezyRider; 09-06-23 at 10:15 AM.
Old 09-06-23, 03:39 PM
RoadWearier

Originally Posted by GeezyRider
Go for it! I've had a Retrospec Harper freewheel SS for several years and it has been fun to ride and trouble-free. The only parts I have replaced were because I like to tinker and upgrade. For $179 and free shipping you are not taking a big financial risk. Just be careful to order the correct size and inspect and adjust the wheel/headset bearings. They tend to be adjusted too tight coming out of the factory in China.

Best of luck and keep us updated!
Thanks! Weird thing is they recommend a 49cm frame for someone 5'10. Very strange. I have a 33ish inch inseam and a long torso. Even 56cm bikes can seem cramped. I guess I'll go with the 53cm? What size do you have and how tall are you?
Old 09-06-23, 11:30 PM
GeezyRider 

Originally Posted by RoadWearier
Thanks! Weird thing is they recommend a 49cm frame for someone 5'10. Very strange. I have a 33ish inch inseam and a long torso. Even 56cm bikes can seem cramped. I guess I'll go with the 53cm? What size do you have and how tall are you?
I have the 49cm frame and it fits me well. I'm also 5'10" tall with a 32 inch inseam and average torso. I believe the reason they recommend the smaller frame is because their single speed frames have a higher bottom bracket which in turn makes the standover height higher. If you are comfortable with the stand over height of the 53cm frame that might be best with your longer torso. You can always adjust the reach if needed.
Old 09-07-23, 07:22 PM
RoadWearier

I'm also a little hesitant because Chattanooga has some pretty steep hills. Just getting downtown from my house I can routinely hit 32-35mph.
Old 09-07-23, 09:56 PM
GeezyRider 

Yeah, probably not the best choice for a lot of steep hills.
Old 09-08-23, 12:32 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
It seems like single speed mountain bike guys run a chainwheel to rear cog ratio around 2:1. Single speed road bikes run 3:1.

I think if you drop your chainwheel size and add a front brake you’ll be fine.

I think people get too worked up over not having a front brake in a flat city. But in Chattanooga you need a front brake.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 09-08-23, 10:10 AM
GeezyRider 

Originally Posted by SkinGriz
It seems like single speed mountain bike guys run a chainwheel to rear cog ratio around 2:1. Single speed road bikes run 3:1.

I think if you drop your chainwheel size and add a front brake you’ll be fine.

I think people get too worked up over not having a front brake in a flat city. But in Chattanooga you need a front brake.
I totally agree. In fact, I would spend $20 more to purchase the freewheel version of the Harper with front and rear brakes and lower the gearing as you suggest. Oh wait, I already did that!

Last edited by GeezyRider; 09-08-23 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Add photo
Likes For GeezyRider: