Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Tinnitus revisited

Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Tinnitus revisited

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-23, 07:06 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 81 Posts
Tinnitus revisited

Just a note here as I know this is a common issue with us older folks.

Track your triggers - Salty snacks, dehydration, stress, loud noises, strenuous exercise. Pay attention to what is turning up the ringing.

And a couple of new ones for me - calcium channel blocker meds, long hours in front of a computer.
Old 10-30-23, 07:43 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
I think mine is breathing. Nothing helps. I've pretty much gotten used to the ringing in my head.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 10-30-23, 08:41 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
I have it all the time too.
Exersize definitely makes mine worse - wind in my ears covers it up pretty well though, so I just ride faster.
Never thought about foods or medicines - I've not seen (heard) a correlation.
Old 10-30-23, 10:48 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
The only thing that varies is how much I happen to be ignoring it. I don't think the actual level of ring ever changes.
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 10-30-23, 11:28 AM
striker65

Bikes: Mongoose Dolomite

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 19 Posts
I do use a sound machine to help me go to sleep. I've had it long enough to kind of get used to it. I believe mine was from bowling, 5 nights a week, it's pretty loud on the alleys. When I shot handguns competitively I protected my ears, bowling never did.
Likes For striker65:
Old 10-30-23, 11:36 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
I like it, especially at bedtime. I'm fascinated by the different tones and volume every night. I meditate on it and fall asleep to it. I hear it during the day sometimes. Until now I had not heard about triggers for it.
Likes For RB1-luvr:
Old 10-31-23, 11:03 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
Sleeping = gone
Awake = present
Intensity = varies from severe to low -- sometimes exercise increases the volume and other times no effect, it's just there
Wear ear buds when cycling, listen to 95.5 The WOLF, helps drown the noise
Old 10-31-23, 11:28 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
I have it all the time too.
Exersize definitely makes mine worse - wind in my ears covers it up pretty well though, so I just ride faster.
Never thought about foods or medicines - I've not seen (heard) a correlation.
Be careful with that. Wind noise could be causing more damage.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 11-01-23, 06:51 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Coincidental that this topic just popped up. I’ve recently, just about a week ago, noticed it too. But what I noticed is that the constant noise I’m hearing ISN’T what I previously thought for several days was the ‘sound of silence.’ The other coincidence is that I just had knee replacement surgery 10 days ago (10/23/2023), and I’ve read that GA, pain relieving, and especially antibiotic meds can cause it. I actually had to start an antibiotic a week prior to the surgery because staph discovered in my nostrils/sinus during pre-op labs. Combined, for going on three weeks I’ve been on one antibiotic or another. So I hope that when I’m finished with the meds it’ll go away.

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 11-02-23, 02:55 PM
hopperja

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 22 Posts
I'm not a medical professional, but I'd say it's best to see a doctor, particularly if one side is noticeably worse than the other. Asymetrical hearing loss and/or tinnitus can be a symptom of schwannoma.
Old 11-14-23, 11:09 PM
Alan K

Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Coincidental that this topic just popped up. I’ve recently, just about a week ago, noticed it too. But what I noticed is that the constant noise I’m hearing ISN’T what I previously thought for several days was the ‘sound of silence.’ The other coincidence is that I just had knee replacement surgery 10 days ago (10/23/2023), and I’ve read that GA, pain relieving, and especially antibiotic meds can cause it. I actually had to start an antibiotic a week prior to the surgery because staph discovered in my nostrils/sinus during pre-op labs. Combined, for going on three weeks I’ve been on one antibiotic or another. So I hope that when I’m finished with the meds it’ll go away.

Dan
Drug induced tinnitus often goes away after discontinuation of the drug, provided the drug was used short-term.
But you must consult your physician, there are often alternative drugs that may not effect you the same way.
Old 11-19-23, 05:37 PM
JustaJoe

Bikes: 2022 Kona Dr. Dew, 2022 Specialized Vado

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by RB1-luvr
I like it, especially at bedtime. I'm fascinated by the different tones and volume every night. I meditate on it and fall asleep to it. I hear it during the day sometimes. Until now I had not heard about triggers for it.
This really hit home for me! I've had tinnitus for as long as I can remember (late 50's now). I believe it may have been caused by 1) firing 105mm rounds from a main battle tank 2) .50 cal and 7.62mm machine guns 3) M1911 .45 cal and lastly 4) painfully loud punk rock shows for ~10 years.

A few years ago, I tried mindfulness meditation. Our guide had us focus on different things: Focus on any scents/aromas; then focus on how the air and temperature feel on your skin; then focus on sounds. All I heard was ringing, so I learned to focus on that. And that puts me into a great headspace, in turn I've actually turned tinnitus into a boost to my mental health. Funnily enough (not really), tinnitus completely disappears when riding.
Likes For JustaJoe:
Old 11-20-23, 07:05 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

JustaJoe I learned to meditate to my tinnitus from a reading about how people meditate in noisy environments, like the city. I figured if they can turn the constant white noise of a city to good then I could do the same with my tinnitus, and it's worked nicely.
Likes For RB1-luvr:
Old 11-29-23, 08:42 AM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Quoted: 3205 Post(s)
Liked 1,845 Times in 1,164 Posts
I’m gonna give this a try. Thanks for the tip.^^^^
Likes For seedsbelize2:
Old 11-29-23, 12:15 PM
jem01 

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Hopeful the medical community gets a better handle on treating this…. My adult son has had it for over 4 years now and it started while he was on a long international flight. He has worked on it by focusing on staying destressed AMAP which does help a little… any other ideas that I can pass along are welcome! Thank you!
Old 12-11-23, 02:20 AM
lex further

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I have had tinnitus all my life but never brought it to mind because it was not very intrusive. That changed after a left ear infection, and since then, it has been in the foreground. The volume was turned to 11 on the left side, and for a while, it really impacted my life. One day I went to a therapist who manipulated my jawbone, and the tinnitus was moved more to the background by that treatment alone (so that tongue theory is proberly also not far fetched). It never got that bad afterward, but it's still there. I also did a retraining program that helped me ignore my tinnitus, and as a result, the brain started to filter the noise out as well. But...there is still some tinnitus left, especially when I'm tired or stressed. Considering to buy hearing aids online and hope that will solve the issue .

Last edited by lex further; 12-27-23 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-15-23, 10:35 AM
Alan K

Originally Posted by jem01
Hopeful the medical community gets a better handle on treating this…. My adult son has had it for over 4 years now and it started while he was on a long international flight. He has worked on it by focusing on staying destressed AMAP which does help a little… any other ideas that I can pass along are welcome! Thank you!
Would be nice, but until that happens, there are only coping strategies… not every strategy works for everyone.

Learning to ignore it and/or meditating has been quite effective in my case. The white noise device didn’t help. In fact, white noise interfered with my ability to fall asleep.
Likes For Alan K:
Old 12-15-23, 10:39 AM
Alan K

Originally Posted by lex further
I developed hearing loss and tinnitus in my left ear at the age of twenty and it has worsened with age.
Was it a consequence of an injury of some sort?
Have you consulted an ENT physician? Good ones can help you with coping practices that are helpful.
Old 12-15-23, 01:18 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
I like the idea of learning to cope with it through various means. I used to try to enjoy it, but for me that was of limited consequence. Then my tinnitus got better after an ear surgery. The surgery itself was a failure, unfortunately. When I was researching the surgery, bad tinnitus was one of the listed possible side effects, so I won the lottery on that aspect. It does get worse when I do things that cause inflammation.

I have been seeing a lot of media about curing it. There are a lot of scammers out there, I'm pretty sure there are no legitimate cures. Except maybe hearing aids.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 12-16-23, 07:08 PM
Alan K

Originally Posted by unterhausen
I like the idea of learning to cope with it through various means. I used to try to enjoy it, but for me that was of limited consequence. Then my tinnitus got better after an ear surgery. The surgery itself was a failure, unfortunately. When I was researching the surgery, bad tinnitus was one of the listed possible side effects, so I won the lottery on that aspect. It does get worse when I do things that cause inflammation.

I have been seeing a lot of media about curing it. There are a lot of scammers out there, I'm pretty sure there are no legitimate cures. Except maybe hearing aids.
You are correct about no real cures.
The reason may have to do with poorly understood etiology of the syndrome.
Learning strategies to cope certainly helps. Use of hearing aids is included in coping strategies.
Usually tinnitus “sounds” are higher pitch, and this is the spectrum of sound that gets effected (or lost) as one ages. If an audiologist determines that the loss of hearing is gradual (let’s say 8,000 Hz and over) and not abrupt, you have a very chance to benefit from wearing hearing aids… and your audiologist and ENT doctor will recommend it.
You have to wear it during all or most of your waking hours to benefit from it.
A properly adjusted hearing aid increases signal to noise ratio in the region where you have suffered losses. The noise, generated by tinnitus, stays more or less at a constant level. So now it becomes easier for your brain to ignore tinnitus. As you wear the hearing aid. As you wear the hearing aid, you are are also training your brain what to ignore.
There was a hypothesis at one point that irrespective of causes of loss of hearing in higher frequency, once this input to brain is gone away, your brain is simply trying to amplify the non-existent or very low signal in that region as best as it can - and not succeeding too well, resulting the constant sounds one “hears”.
For now, learning to cope is all we have.
I’d certainly stay away from semi-magical recipes or formulations from food supplement industry proven by “an accomplished research team of scientist from a well-known university.”
Good luck with it!
Old 01-11-24, 07:29 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Maybe this was mentioned earlier in the thread: has anyone correlated their tinnitus to their blood pressure? My blood pressure has risen in the last couple years, and my tinnitus has increased as well. At moments when my bp is lower, so is my tinnitus. Interesting.
Old 01-11-24, 08:17 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
Maybe this was mentioned earlier in the thread: has anyone correlated their tinnitus to their blood pressure? My blood pressure has risen in the last couple years, and my tinnitus has increased as well. At moments when my bp is lower, so is my tinnitus. Interesting.
I don't know about blood pressure, but my doctor said things like stress and anger can make it worse. I told him hadn't noticed that but exercise makes it worse, and he said that was also common.
Old 01-11-24, 08:17 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 81 Posts
Yes, I have. I think this is why when you eat a small bag of chips the result is REEEEEEEE it increases due to a BP spike. . Stress, salt, dehydration, loud noises. Having my inlaws LEAVE after the holidays has helped too. I have pretty good luck with magnesium gummies.
Old 01-11-24, 09:24 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

agreed about stress. It's not a coincidence that my bp and my anxiety-driven stress have both increased in the last 2-3 years.

Likes For RB1-luvr:
Old 01-19-24, 03:18 PM
355Mono

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I've had tinnitus since about 8 years old. It turned on and never turned off. Even as a guitar player hobbyist, I have been protective of my hearing. I have totally adjusted to this. For the first time I can remember, I heard silence after standing in the steam room of my health club. The steam jets can get loud, and I noticed they mimicked the tones of my ringing. After a couple of minutes of the noise, the jets stopped and for a few moments, I thought I heard nothing. I haven't been back, but will retest at my next steam. ( I'm not a big steamer).
Likes For 355Mono:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.