Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Help with cycling clothes, please?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-13, 04:25 AM
Training.Wheels
Cool Guy

Bikes: Jamis Sputnik, Leader 722 Heritage Edition, Brompton, Bianchi Via Nirone, Robinson SST, Diamondback Sorrento

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

After 200+ miles in the past two weeks, I have decided to join your ranks and go full roadie. I was wondering what kind of clothes I would need to stay relatively warm in 30-50 degree weather. Budget recommendations on eBay would be much appreciated, since I am very new to the clothing aspect of cycling. Thanks in advance!
Old 02-14-13, 05:54 AM
dave1442397

Bikes: 2014 Boardman SLS 9.4 Di2, 2011 CAAD 10 4

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For 30-50 you don't need much. For 25-45 I wear a base layer (Costco, $20), a light long-sleeve jersey (bought on sale at The Clymb) and a light jacket, windproof in the front and arms, mesh in the back. Winter gloves, summer shorts with a pair of cycling tights over them, and a pair of NorthWave winter boots. It was around 45F ,cloudy and windy when I went out yesterday, and I was a little too warm at times.

That's probably $400 in clothing, but it's worth it to me to be able to get out in the winter.

For 45+, I dump the long-sleeve jersey and go with the base layer and windproof jacket.
Old 02-14-13, 07:31 AM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
AeroTech has some windproof pants that look good with enough insulation to take you down below freezing. You might want to find some lighter tights or running pants for the 40-55 range. Even leg warmers are adequate for most riders when you get to 50+. On top in those temps I just wear a runner's hoodie with a windbreaker over some kind of wicking athletic shirt or base layer. I tend to go overkill on gloves, socks, and a warm beanie because if my hands, feet and head are warm the core tends to take care of itself.
Old 02-14-13, 12:57 PM
Beneficial Ear
Car Free

Bikes: caad8, Trek 1000

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Up top 35-50 I go with a base layer - long sleeve jersey (has a little insulation) - and a jacket that is just barely not enough to keep me warm if I was just out walking. Below 30 I add a long sleeve hoodie to the mix, and below 15 I add a heavier long sleeve shirt underneath the jersey. Most people say this is too much, but this is what works for me after being too hot/too cold.

Down low I've got some bib shorts or cycling shorts. I dont have tights so I just use khakis/jeans whatever is loose enough without being excessively heavy. Below 40 I add a pair of athletic shorts. Below 30 I add some long johns to the mix... and below 15 I added a pair of pajama pants to this and it worked great.

Hands, some basic winter gloves, sometimes I augment with a pair of the one size fits all stretchy gloves when it gets really cold.

Feet, which I hate being cold! I found the best solution is a shoe cover (not thermal, I'd get thermal if I had the $), then a hand warmer packet on my toes, then ONE pair of socks. Below 25 or so I put a plastic bag over my socks... and/or a big heavy sock over the shoe cover depending on the situation.

Head... just a basic skull cap then helmet. If its below 15 I forego the helmet and put on a very big, very furry hat that covers my ears as well. I got minor frostbite on my ear this year and will not allow that to happen again.

The key for me has been (in no particular order) to keep the feet/hands/penis/head warm... and I've managed it well without dumping tons of $ into clothes, actually I managed it well before I bought ANY cycling clothes.
Old 02-14-13, 02:13 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Gore Phantom jacket from chainlove at $69
Leg warmers - $20
Champion compression base layer (the cold weather one) for about $20
PI Toe Covers (about $20 i think)
Knee warmers or leg warmers, another $25 or so
Gore windstopper headband / ear warmers - $20

Get good long fingered gloves. Maybe you can tell, I like Gore products for colder weather but my Gore gloves are only really comfy down to about 45 degrees. Cold hands suck and you can't brake or shift as easily, so don't skimp on gloves.

I would get cold weather bibs if I did it often, but I don't, so I go with regular bibs
Old 02-14-13, 02:30 PM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Bikes: 2014 Evo DA2, 2010 Caad9-4, 2011 Synapse-4, 2013 CaadX-disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At those temps you are really just looking to extend the range of regular summer clothing so things like tights, jacket, gloves, etc. are what you need and the above info is good. You may need to experiment to find what works best for you.

One thing I'll add, however, is that you will want to give up the notion of staying "relatively warm" when cycling in colder weather. If you are going to ride hard enough to be an aerobic workout you will find it hard to stay warm but not get hot. Generally, you end up settling for staying cool but not getting cold. I find it's a bit of a balancing act and sometimes I end up over or underdressed. For example, I wend out after work yesterday with temps in the upper 40s but knowing the sun was on it's way down I tried to dress a bit warmer than normal. Not sure why, maybe the wind or the higher humidity, but I wasn't anything close to warm. Spent the majority of the ride on the cold side of cold.
Old 02-14-13, 02:57 PM
Training.Wheels
Cool Guy

Bikes: Jamis Sputnik, Leader 722 Heritage Edition, Brompton, Bianchi Via Nirone, Robinson SST, Diamondback Sorrento

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the suggestions, folks. I'm going to go out looking today.
Old 02-14-13, 03:34 PM
Bike Rebel

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Synapse 3 2010 Cannondale F5 1972 Raleigh Super Course 1981 Univega Gran Turismo 1985 Specialized Sequoia 1991 Klein Quantum

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Get yourself a good wind vest. Most versatile piece of cycling clothing you can own. A good wicking baselayer under your jersey. Some polypropylene or smartwool liner gloves under your cycling gloves. Toes covers for your shoes with some merino wool socks. And a lightweight balaclava for your head.
Old 02-14-13, 03:52 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
What do you wear when you're outside but not cycling?

The worst is being overdressed, then overheating because you're riding a bike and working hard, and then getting sweaty and clammy.
Old 02-23-13, 08:14 AM
CanuckInJapan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a question about summer wear I am looking to get a few cycling bibs for summer but most things I can find on wiggle are winter. The reason I want to go for bib are I am a big guy trying to drop some weight and I dont need the world seeing my ass crack when I ride in the winter it was fine riding because of my jacket but I am looking to get stuff for the summer and my shirt just keeps riding up. One thing I do not plan wearing only the bib. One guy does I see him sometimes riding with his bib and bike cap and it is wrong that man has a chest afro.

Last edited by CanuckInJapan; 02-23-13 at 08:19 AM.