Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cycling is expensive but is it worth it? Let's examine.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-13, 07:16 AM
Ray9

Bikes: Cannondale six-13

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 24 Posts

You would not believe the responses I get when I reveal to people that my personally fitted Cannondale 6-13 with Kyserium SI wheels, Dura Ace hardware, Most compact crank, and Joule 2.0 computer system set me back about $3,500 in 2008. Ok, I went nuts when I purchased it. I even have carbon fiber water bottle holders to save weight. I also have a Cycle Ops pro 300 indoor trainer which my wife and I only used a few times because it is too much like a real bike and extremely boring to ride. I need to unload it so I can buy a recumbent model with a bucket seat that will be close enough to regular cycling but more comfortable. Is this too expensive? Let's look at the alternatives.

I quit smoking to become a serious runner in 1973. As I recall, a pack of smokes in 1973 was about $.035. Today the price ranges from Alabama: $5.27 to New York: $11.90. So the average price is about $8.60 a pack. $8.60 X 365 = $3,139. I bought my Cannondale five years ago so $3,500 / 5 = $700 so far. I'm too lazy to keep researching these calculations but let's consider that I do not drive my Jeep Liberty while I'm on my bike so I'm not using gas or putting wear and tear on it. I have few health issues because I eat to maximize my performance on the bike so my weight is in the ideal range for height/weight charts. I currently have over $10,000 in my Health Savings Account because I sparsely use it. By the way, I'm 66 years old. Ok, I went for gold when I bought my bike but the beauty is that you don't need to. Just getting a good bike for about a grand will last you for years if you take care of it by keeping it clean and stored inside. There is much more I could say but the point is clear. At least I hope it is.
Old 09-08-13, 07:30 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 2,764 Posts
I like the "personally fitted" part!
Old 09-08-13, 07:33 AM
MegaTom

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL3, Lynskey Cooper CX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bikes.....

Old 09-08-13, 07:36 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,714 Times in 1,034 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I like the "personally fitted" part!
Hey, he said he went nuts when he bought it!
Old 09-08-13, 07:38 AM
Smokehouse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
People piss away $$ on all kinds of stuff. Going out to eat constantly, drinking at bars, insane amounts of clothes, watches, jewelry...you name it...

i catch flack for my bike too...which is well over $3K like yours (not including kit...LOL). The thing is...I have no other hobbies. I don't hunt, I don't drive a fancy car, I rarely eat out, I don't drink or smoke. I know people that will spend $150-200/week eating out and drinking. That's a rough shot number of $10K/year. That's not counting the guys I know who smoke a $8 pack of smokes a day...

At least my hobby is healthy and like you, being in better shape has many physical and financial benifits.

im not posting this to hammer how spend their $$...because its theirs to spend. BUT...when someone makes a snide comment about my cycling, ill be quick to point out how they spend theirs. My boss was poking fun at my bike when I pointed out his $3K TAG watch...that ended the conversation pretty quick. I love a good watch but a watch is just that, besides looking nice it really doesn't do much.
Old 09-08-13, 08:02 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Capitalist swine indulging in crass consumerism. So our society has come to this. Pro cyclists are starving (or so it looks like) and rich old people are buying expensive bikes. Shameful. Where is justice? Where is fairness?

The paragraph above is a parody, but people who actually believe it will weigh in shortly, I'm sure.

Old 09-08-13, 08:06 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
If you don't bike you're required to smoke? Huh, I never knew.
Old 09-08-13, 08:08 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
Capitalist swine indulging in crass consumerism. So our society has come to this. Pro cyclists are starving (or so it looks like) and rich old people are buying expensive bikes. Shameful. Where is justice? Where is fairness?

The paragraph above is a parody, but people who actually believe it will weigh in shortly, I'm sure.
Funny!

To the OP, enjoy your hobby. Better to spend your money in cycling than on blow and *****s.
Old 09-08-13, 08:10 AM
youngbeginner

Bikes: 2012 Redline DS1 & 2014 Giant Defy 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ray9
to New York: $11.90
Go NY!
Old 09-08-13, 08:17 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by youngbeginner
Go NY!
On my first trip to NYC (while scouting out an eventual move there), I overheard an LGA convenience store conversation that went something like this:

Customer: pack of Camel Lights, please.
Clerk: Sure - $9.15 (this is when a pack was around $3.50 in MN)

The customer then expressed some kind of shock/disgust, but I was laughing too hard to hear it.
Old 09-08-13, 08:18 AM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Go quality, once you have that it becomes a very cheap hobby. My total yearly costs are under 200 dollars. The bike I bought and still ride in 1976, in todays dollars would be around 8 thousand dollars. A beauty that still works like a charm. My shoes are nine years old, my winter clothes at least 5 years, my regular clothes are going on 4 years.
Old 09-08-13, 08:22 AM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
Funny!

To the OP, enjoy your hobby. Better to spend your money in cycling than on blow and *****s.
Hmmmm, let's think about that one awhile......
Old 09-08-13, 08:34 AM
Smokehouse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by surgeonstone
Go quality, once you have that it becomes a very cheap hobby. My total yearly costs are under 200 dollars. The bike I bought and still ride in 1976, in todays dollars would be around 8 thousand dollars. A beauty that still works like a charm. My shoes are nine years old, my winter clothes at least 5 years, my regular clothes are going on 4 years.
I wish I could say the same...

i try to get a new bib/jersey set each year...easily $200-250. This year as well I'm going to bite the bullet and get a nic e pair of riding shoes...probably $400 or so...
Old 09-08-13, 09:06 AM
Ray9

Bikes: Cannondale six-13

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 24 Posts
The thread makes an attempt at a relative argument nothing more. You can make points about the inherent dangers of cycling that could counteract the health benefits. Every rose has it's thorn. In mid winter I look at my Cannondale and dream of angling off a gentle hill past a golf course and smelling the sweet aroma of freshly mowed grass. It's a relative thing. I came. I saw. I enjoy.
Old 09-08-13, 09:06 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
What surprises me most is that at 66 you're troubling yourself with such sophomoric ruminations.
Old 09-08-13, 09:10 AM
RomeoTango

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Who cares what other people think - its your money so spend it on what YOU like! That's the only justification you need. There are a couple of cheapskates at work that buy the cheapest pre-made lunch item at the Quickie-Mart, but drop $1000 per year on their hunt club membership. A bit penny-wise in my opinion, but that's how they operate and I don't hassle them (maybe some over the lunch choice). Though, since I tie up my money in other hobbies I hunt on "free" land. I get the same reaction as the OP when I recommend someone consider cycling. "Oooohhh, bikes are so expensive!" Same people probably usually don't do much of anything.
Old 09-08-13, 09:10 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
The most expensive bike is the one that is not ridden.
Old 09-08-13, 09:13 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 353 Posts

For a couple hundred bucks a bike, I ride on quality hand made bikes. Vintage bikes are an outright steal these days. Full 531 lugged steel with top line components. Add a pair of quality tubular tires and you have a ride that is hard to beat. And it all adds up to $300-500.
Clothing, used jerseys and shorts keep me in budget. And my "kits" are very unique. Only thing I buy new is shoes. I usually use used tires. Buying new tires is a real treat.
Old 09-08-13, 09:23 AM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6768 Post(s)
Liked 5,480 Times in 3,224 Posts
Compared to golf, skeet shooting, boating and flying your own plane(s) cycling is cheap.
Old 09-08-13, 09:58 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11975 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
Originally Posted by Looigi
What surprises me most is that at 66 you're troubling yourself with such sophomoric ruminations.
What's surprising? Unless you're rich you have to weigh budgetary decisions your whole life.

I do the same thing, consider how much money I saved by quitting smoking, then it makes a big purchase guilt-diminished. (guilt-free takes time lol)
Old 09-08-13, 10:09 AM
cafzali

Bikes: Giant TCR SL3 and Trek 1.5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
What's surprising? Unless you're rich you have to weigh budgetary decisions your whole life.

I do the same thing, consider how much money I saved by quitting smoking, then it makes a big purchase guilt-diminished. (guilt-free takes time lol)
I think the other poster's point was that most people by the time they're in their 60s have the money part pretty well taken care of because many of life's major expenses are behind you (kids' college, paying for a house, etc.). If you don't, it's hard to play catch up at that point. For those who do have money taken care of, many feel it's time to start enjoying that because you can't take it with you.
Old 09-08-13, 10:11 AM
aramis

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Eh, it's less expensive than fixing up old cars or racing motorcycles or shooting guns or cigar smoking but going hiking in the woods or playing soccer or reading a lot of books is probably a lot cheaper.

Also you forget consumables like chains, tires, cassettes, tubes, extra food (you have to eat those extra 2000 calories you burned on your ride), race fees and transportation for those that don't just ride from their front doorstep.

In the end it isn't that expensive.. but I am sitting at home barely able to walk, and will have to pay for my hospital visit/xrays because I fell during a time trial. It isn't the safest hobby either.
Old 09-08-13, 10:12 AM
rousseau

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 21 Posts
"Health Savings Account"? Is that a metaphor?
Old 09-08-13, 11:12 AM
likebike23
Rides Majestic

Bikes: 1983 Univega Gran Turismo, 1970 Schwinn Super Sport, 2001 Univega Modo Vincere, Self-Built Nashbar Touring, 1974 Peugeot U08, 1974 Atala Grand Prix, 1986 Ross Mt. Hood, 80's Maruishi MT-18

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I'm thinking that you don't need to reveal the cost of your bike to anybody if you don't like what they are going to say. I've never met you and I know how much your bike costs, what kind of car you drive, your age, health, how much money is in your health savings account, and your marital status. Just sayin'.
Old 09-08-13, 11:26 AM
Beaker
moth -----> flame

Bikes: 11 CAAD 10-4, 07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 98 Peugeot Horizon

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
To my mind, the benefits in reduced stress and well-being far outweigh the $ on a spreadsheet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.