Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano Rapidfire won't move to position 3

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-17, 02:10 PM
snuggiebear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello - Any advise on what to do before I attempt to somehow fix left hand shifter?

I have a Shimano Alivio Left Shifter 3-speed Rapid Fire Trigger SL-M410 and its will shift in to postion 2 from 1 and back again but won't shift from 2 up to 3.

Old 10-01-17, 02:53 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
Has the shifter not been used in awhile (years)? If so, the lubricant probably gummed up.

The solution is solvent flush followed by lube: Spray solvent directly into the innards of the shifter (if you can't find a place to spray directly into the shifter, helps to remove the bottom cover to gain better access to the innards), let it drain, work the shifter from 2 to 3 and back, repeat. It might take awhile, don't get discouraged. Once it gets shifting on its own, follow with your favorite spray lubricant.

If it's been used regularly, make sure there's enough cable tension at baseline, and that your front derailleur outer limit screw isn't preventing the jump from 2 to 3.
Old 10-01-17, 02:54 PM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by snuggiebear
Hello - Any advise on what to do before I attempt to somehow fix left hand shifter?

I have a Shimano Alivio Left Shifter 3-speed Rapid Fire Trigger SL-M410 and its will shift in to postion 2 from 1 and back again but won't shift from 2 up to 3.

Assuming going to 3 is the big ring like mine and your front derailer is unobstructed, it sounds like cable stretch or front derailer adjustment. I can try to explain it poorly, but there are YouTube videos on how to make the adjustment at the shifter and/or front derailer that may serve you better. Try the barrel adjuster on the shifter before anything else to see if you can get the shift.
Old 10-01-17, 03:07 PM
bikeman715

Bikes: Bike Nashbar AL-1 ,Raligh M50 , Schwinn Traveler , and others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bargainguy
has the shifter not been used in awhile (years)? If so, the lubricant probably gummed up.

The solution is solvent flush followed by lube: Spray solvent directly into the innards of the shifter (if you can't find a place to spray directly into the shifter, helps to remove the bottom cover to gain better access to the innards), let it drain, work the shifter from 2 to 3 and back, repeat. It might take awhile, don't get discouraged. Once it gets shifting on its own, follow with your favorite spray lubricant.

If it's been used regularly, make sure there's enough cable tension at baseline, and that your front derailleur outer limit screw isn't preventing the jump from 2 to 3.
+1
Old 10-01-17, 03:35 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
newer alivio shifters have a removable TOP cover typically(one on my bench right now)... remove that top cover... most have three tiny screws, so work over a smooth surface that won't hide a screw if you drop it... then, follow the flush/lube procedure mentioned above... the PAWLS are not moving freely, and this is why it won't shift correctly... those pawls need to be freed up... sometimes a simple flush/lube won't do the trick, and you need to physically move them until they are once again free moving parts, ok?

and no, i'm not saying ALL Alivio Shifters have top covers. hard to say what changes they have had over the years.

and i agree with Stormsedge... is it that the shifter shifts, but the chain doesn't make it to the large chain ring, or is it that the shifter doesn't click into that third position?

Last edited by maddog34; 10-01-17 at 03:41 PM.
Old 10-01-17, 03:59 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Liked 214 Times in 97 Posts
I see this problem often. Agree it is likely a stuck pawl.
Old 10-02-17, 01:25 AM
snuggiebear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for the reponses.

Originally Posted by bargainguy
Has the shifter not been used in awhile (years)? If so, the lubricant probably gummed up.

The shifter has actually been sitting unused a drawer for around 2 years and before that was not getting a load of use. Just put it on to my kids bike yesterday when I noticed the problem.

Its currently not cable up so I guess must have seized up as mentioned here.

Any advice on what of solvent spray to use ? I have WD40 but generally don't ever use it anywhere on a bike.
Old 10-02-17, 06:13 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Any advice on what of solvent spray to use ? I have WD40 but generally don't ever use it anywhere on a bike.
This is an appropriate use.
Old 10-02-17, 06:39 AM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
I like CRC PowerLube in the red can for both solvent & lube. It has PTFE (Teflon). About $3 a can at auto parts & hardware stores.
Old 10-02-17, 06:40 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Was your shifter ever right?

I favor figuring out what's wrong before trying to fix it. Disconnect your shift cable from the derailleur and try cycling the shifter. If it works, your problem is in the derailleur rather than in the shifter.
Old 10-02-17, 12:37 PM
snuggiebear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Was your shifter ever right?

I favor figuring out what's wrong before trying to fix it. Disconnect your shift cable from the derailleur and try cycling the shifter. If it works, your problem is in the derailleur rather than in the shifter.
Yes it did used to work. Currently got the cable disconected but problematic nonetheless.
Old 10-02-17, 09:11 PM
bikeman715

Bikes: Bike Nashbar AL-1 ,Raligh M50 , Schwinn Traveler , and others

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yes it did used to work. Currently got the cable disconected but problematic nonetheless.
Try flushing the inter with Wd-40 and shift thought the gears and it should work after awhile , then relube with a light oil .
Old 10-03-17, 08:30 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
If that's the case, I'd try the solvent flush next. The longer the shifter has set around not being used the greater likelihood the old grease has hardened and that the solvent flush will solve your problem. Price is right too.

Good luck!
Old 10-03-17, 09:44 AM
chorlton

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
FWIW... This may not apply. I regularly, twice, have fitted/adjusted a front 3 speed dérailleur and got the cable routing wrong. In my case both front dérailleurs had a bent bit of metal prior to the fixing bolt and I assumed that I had to route the cable under the bent bit of metal. Result was I could not hit the big cog. So I finally tried routing the cable over the bent bit of metal and things worked.
Old 03-29-24, 08:39 AM
justonwo

Bikes: 2020 Pinarello Dogma F12 Disc (Enve SES 3.4), 2021 S-Works Aethos (Roval Alpinist CLX II), 2024 Topstone Lab71 (Terra CLX II), 2006 Cervelo Soloist (10 speed Ultegra), 2021 S-Works Epic

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 34 Posts
I ended up having this problem with both my trigger shifters. I took them apart and couldn’t for the life of me figure out why they wouldn’t advance.

I tried flushing with solvent and working the levers; in 15-20 seconds both were functioning normally again. I added a little spray lube and closed them up. Back to normal. Thanks to the folks in this thread!
Old 03-29-24, 10:25 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
As others have said, you don't need to take the shifter apart, but this video lets you see how a pawl shifting mechanism works. And why when you push the lever, nothing happens.

If you can push the lever and FD cage moves but doesn't complete the shift, that is something else.

John
Old 03-29-24, 10:42 AM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 1,845 Times in 835 Posts
If the solvent flush isn't successful (which sometimes it isn't), there are other methods for persuading the shifter to get back to that 2/3 jump.

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...l#post23196306
Old 03-29-24, 11:14 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by chorlton
FWIW... This may not apply. I regularly, twice, have fitted/adjusted a front 3 speed dérailleur and got the cable routing wrong. In my case both front dérailleurs had a bent bit of metal prior to the fixing bolt and I assumed that I had to route the cable under the bent bit of metal. Result was I could not hit the big cog. So I finally tried routing the cable over the bent bit of metal and things worked.
By "finally" do you mean after seven years?