Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2024.2

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2024.2

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-24, 09:07 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8293 Post(s)
Liked 9,080 Times in 4,489 Posts
The Redlands Classic stage race is ending today. 5 stages for the pros, amateur racing and kids racing, too. A friend lives in Redlands and the Kelly Benefits team hung out at her house. They made her grandson a team helper and he had a great time.

Old 04-14-24, 09:07 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11976 Post(s)
Liked 6,666 Times in 3,488 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
^
I have a certain fondness for old-school, and have our local radio station (Magic 92.5) dialed much of the time that I am driving. Not sure what to add here, since the spectrum between respectable motown and cheesy 80's pop is big - but I'll see your Commodores, and raise you one Chaka Khan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_2aSqF6JHU
Very high up on my favorites list.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 04-14-24, 09:10 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by DougRNS
I live in the Northwest Metro Atlanta area where I securely store the awesome shovel in an undisclosed location.
Did you use the shovel for any of the landscaping work? That would have given it an off season reason for existing, and for paying the top-notch security forces tasked with keeping it safe.
Old 04-14-24, 12:25 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 8852 Post(s)
Liked 3,001 Times in 1,744 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
Did you use the shovel for any of the landscaping work? That would have given it an off season reason for existing, and for paying the top-notch security forces tasked with keeping it safe.
naw, that would be like wearing the awesome Marigold jacket in 70 degree weather. Not gunna do it wouldn't be prudent.
Old 04-14-24, 02:15 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4971 Post(s)
Liked 8,123 Times in 3,843 Posts
It was a spectacular weekend for Elite and U23 American MTB racers at the first round of the World Cup in Brazil - 3 wins, and 8 total podium placings. The last lap of the men’s XCO was incredible!
Old 04-14-24, 02:19 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2650 Post(s)
Liked 3,159 Times in 1,664 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
The last lap of the men’s XCO was incredible!
Heck yes, I'll watch some footage! I managed to catch the last couple laps of the U23 women's XCO live
Likes For TMonk:
Old 04-14-24, 02:31 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Light TT adaptation ride today, 1 hr of z2/3. Weather is nice, and it's a weekend (low traffic), so I thought this time that I'd venture out to a local frontage road near my place, instead of doing it on the trainer. There are a couple overpasses that I could use to stitch together a ~1 mile segment of road. TBH, the thought of riding up and down the same road a bunch of times sounded about as much fun as riding the trainer, but to my surprise, it was actually a ton of fun!

One of the offramps has a really tight bend in it, and feeling some G's going around it in aero was fun. There is also a big dip in the road about halfway through each straight stretch, so that kept the pace and power a bit dynamic as well. On the southern end, the left at the top of the offramp as a bit sharp, so that would serve as the end of each lap, as I needed to leave the aerobars and grab some brake.

Riding on the trainer (or Fiesta Island) is a bit of a slog, with nothing really to break up the pace, it's just you and your power. I excel at technical time trial riding and look for opportunities to do it (like the new VoS course). Next time I am looking to do one of these rides on the weekend, I think I will head back out here!

Likes For TMonk:
Old 04-14-24, 02:34 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22614 Post(s)
Liked 8,935 Times in 4,164 Posts
We had a good and fairly hard ride today. On longer rides I sometimes have had issues with muscle cramps....

I am fairly confident my muscle cramps are NOT due to issues with calcium/magnesium/sodium/potassium or hydration status. They still might be, but I am pretty sure my cramps come under the classification of "muscle overuse cramps" as they happen despite adequate intake of fluids/electrolytes.

I know some of my club-mates SWEAR by using pickle juice or mustard packets for cramps. I am also aware of the "HotShot" product which is $$$$ and allegedly works but I have not tried it.

My understanding is that eating something that is spicy/bitter/sour triggers the autonomic nervous system and reflexively relaxes cramping muscles, at least that's the theory. Maybe MoAlpha can comment/confirm.

Anyway, at about mile 70 on today's ride I started to have some early signs of cramps. I used two strategies, and both of them SEEMED to work...

First, I figured I needed to eat something very bitter/sour and did not have anything handy, but I realized that there are dandelions EVERYWHERE and I am aware that the dandelion greens are edible and also quite bitter/sour. I was rolling along so I did not pick them right away, but simply IMAGINED I was eating some of them and other unpleasant sour food....and it worked!! The cramps went away. A few minutes later, I crested a hill and stopped at the top to pick a handful of dandelion greens, which I held onto for a few minutes on the downhill, but for the next climb I wanted to push myself to test the theory, so I ate the greens (they were indeed bitter!) and pushed my pace well into the zone where I would ordinarily cramp up, and guess what? No cramps!!

Clearly today's experience is NOT science but anecdotal....however, I am optimistic I might be onto something.

Comments??
Likes For datlas:
Old 04-14-24, 02:38 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Hmm, interesting. Never hard the spicy/bitter/sour nervous system theory before. IME and AKAIK, cramps are due to electrolytes, or just plain old fatigue. I think I recall someone telling me recently that the electrolytes have little to do with it, and it's mostly just due to fatigue and conditioning. Certainly not an expert on physiology though.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 04-14-24, 03:30 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Hmm, interesting. Never hard the spicy/bitter/sour nervous system theory before. IME and AKAIK, cramps are due to electrolytes, or just plain old fatigue. I think I recall someone telling me recently that the electrolytes have little to do with it, and it's mostly just due to fatigue and conditioning. Certainly not an expert on physiology though.
Usually fatigue.

Here is some interesting reading material….although it’s advertising so be a little skeptical.

https://teamhotshot.com/pages/science
Likes For datlas:
Old 04-14-24, 03:32 PM
BillyD
Administrator

I don't get cramps when I work out. I get them at night when I'm asleep and they are virtually always due to inadequate fluid intake.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 04-14-24, 04:04 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Originally Posted by datlas
We had a good and fairly hard ride today. On longer rides I sometimes have had issues with muscle cramps....

I am fairly confident my muscle cramps are NOT due to issues with calcium/magnesium/sodium/potassium or hydration status. They still might be, but I am pretty sure my cramps come under the classification of "muscle overuse cramps" as they happen despite adequate intake of fluids/electrolytes.

I know some of my club-mates SWEAR by using pickle juice or mustard packets for cramps. I am also aware of the "HotShot" product which is $$$$ and allegedly works but I have not tried it.

My understanding is that eating something that is spicy/bitter/sour triggers the autonomic nervous system and reflexively relaxes cramping muscles, at least that's the theory. Maybe MoAlpha can comment/confirm.

Anyway, at about mile 70 on today's ride I started to have some early signs of cramps. I used two strategies, and both of them SEEMED to work...

First, I figured I needed to eat something very bitter/sour and did not have anything handy, but I realized that there are dandelions EVERYWHERE and I am aware that the dandelion greens are edible and also quite bitter/sour. I was rolling along so I did not pick them right away, but simply IMAGINED I was eating some of them and other unpleasant sour food....and it worked!! The cramps went away. A few minutes later, I crested a hill and stopped at the top to pick a handful of dandelion greens, which I held onto for a few minutes on the downhill, but for the next climb I wanted to push myself to test the theory, so I ate the greens (they were indeed bitter!) and pushed my pace well into the zone where I would ordinarily cramp up, and guess what? No cramps!!

Clearly today's experience is NOT science but anecdotal....however, I am optimistic I might be onto something.

Comments??
I decline to opine.
Old 04-14-24, 04:26 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Pretty into this combined formula and breastfeeding thing we've been doing. Lilly developed some GI irritation a few months ago so we had to drop the EBF thing due to some protein intolerance or some other sort of food allergy, maybe dairy passed through mom. We've started to ween her on breast-milk again and it's quite convenient overall.

Formula: Lilly doesn't need to be near mom or a frozen bank of milk to feed. I can feed her anytime, any place with canned formula. Mom can be away from home for a while without needing to pump or feed.

Breast-milk: Lilly gets the micro nutrients from a bit every day. Plus, if she wakes up a little hungry or fussy in the middle of the night, we don't have to prepare a bottle. Just stick her on the boob and she'll be back asleep in no time.
Old 04-14-24, 04:36 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Pretty into this combined formula and breastfeeding thing we've been doing. Lilly developed some GI irritation a few months ago so we had to drop the EBF thing due to some protein intolerance or some other sort of food allergy, maybe dairy passed through mom. We've started to ween her on breast-milk again and it's quite convenient overall.

Formula: Lilly doesn't need to be near mom or a frozen bank of milk to feed. I can feed her anytime, any place with canned formula. Mom can be away from home for a while without needing to pump or feed.

Breast-milk: Lilly gets the micro nutrients from a bit every day. Plus, if she wakes up a little hungry or fussy in the middle of the night, we don't have to prepare a bottle. Just stick her on the boob and she'll be back asleep in no time.
can we say that? I know we can say a$$ but please decorum.

Last edited by DougRNS; 04-14-24 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Say, say, say
Old 04-14-24, 04:38 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Also into my storage solution for tools/supplies on my MTB. Frame strap for tube at bottom of DT, Wolftooth axle handle multi tool, small pack for CO2, inflator, multi tool bits and tools. The WT axle handle tool is sweet, has a step/down 6 to 5 mm, then the other side serves as a lever/driver for other bits in the bag. Cute.

Stoked to ride it tomorrow before work!

Likes For TMonk:
Old 04-14-24, 04:39 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

can we say that? I know we can saw a$$ but please decorum.
prudes around these parts!
Old 04-14-24, 04:40 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11409 Post(s)
Liked 4,773 Times in 2,774 Posts
Also into my storage solution for tools/supplies on my MTB. Frame strap for tube at bottom of DT, Wolftooth axle handle multi tool, small pack for CO2, inflator, multi tool bits and tools. The WT axle handle tool is sweet, has a step/down 6 to 5 mm, then the other side serves as a lever/driver for other bits in the bag. Cute.

Stoked to ride it tomorrow before work!

Gadgets are cool
Likes For LAJ:
Old 04-14-24, 04:43 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10970 Post(s)
Liked 4,628 Times in 2,126 Posts
I read an article on cramping in the last year or two. they could make elite cyclists cramp by working them to exhaustion with little fluids and some heat. Even us mortal cyclists know that. Then t hey screwed with the variables and couldn't get consistent results. The gist of their final conclusions was who knows. Cramps are one of those mysteries. They could find no magical to predict or stop cramps reliably.

I know in my own case, I get cramps sometimes at the oddest times. I recently did a 35 mile ride with strong headwinds. Sure, we were working hard but the temps were perfect and even though I had a good breakfast, drank two 20 oz. bottles of water, had a gel halfway through the ride and some sort of low level energy drink. I cramped up shortly after getting off the bike, specifically along the shin and ending at my toes. I had a heck of time getting it to loosen. No equipment changes or anything over the last 1200 miles but on this day, I had a major cramp attack. Haven't had one since.

Old 04-14-24, 04:49 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

There was mulch again today.
Likes For DougRNS:
Old 04-14-24, 05:02 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10181 Post(s)
Liked 5,878 Times in 3,166 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
I read an article on cramping in the last year or two. they could make elite cyclists cramp by working them to exhaustion with little fluids and some heat. Even us mortal cyclists know that. Then t hey screwed with the variables and couldn't get consistent results. The gist of their final conclusions was who knows. Cramps are one of those mysteries. They could find no magical to predict or stop cramps reliably.

I know in my own case, I get cramps sometimes at the oddest times. I recently did a 35 mile ride with strong headwinds. Sure, we were working hard but the temps were perfect and even though I had a good breakfast, drank two 20 oz. bottles of water, had a gel halfway through the ride and some sort of low level energy drink. I cramped up shortly after getting off the bike, specifically along the shin and ending at my toes. I had a heck of time getting it to loosen. No equipment changes or anything over the last 1200 miles but on this day, I had a major cramp attack. Haven't had one since.
Yeah, the leading theory is a spinal reflex mechanism. They definitely break with passive stretch, which stimulates in-series receptors in the tendon, which, in turn, inhibit spinal output to the muscle, but that’s about as far as the evidence goes. Anecdotally, I have found resistance training helpful in preventing them.

Havent tried the strong taste thing, but I believe it.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 04-14-24 at 05:25 PM.
Old 04-14-24, 05:07 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

They split a 4 game series on the road to playoff team. I'll take it.
Old 04-14-24, 05:16 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Can you say teat? Breast? Nipple?? It’s what the thing is designed for.

Both our daughters were breastfed for a year. When Hannah was 4 months old Mrs datlas went back to work 3 days/week so she did have to do some pumping at work.
Likes For datlas:
Old 04-14-24, 05:20 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3209 Post(s)
Liked 1,851 Times in 1,167 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas

Comments??
It’s been a long long time since I’ve tasted dandelion greens in the flesh, but my mouth tells me I tasted them just now. And, I am experiencing no cramping. Scient prroif!
Old 04-14-24, 05:23 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

can we say that? I know we can say a$$ but please decorum.
Pot calling the kettle black? Just yesterday you were stinking up the place.
Old 04-14-24, 05:28 PM
seedsbelize2

The only time I ever cramped was after an imperial century in hot weather. Never during a ride; only after and only sometimes. Almost always on the back of the thigh. What is that muscle called?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.