Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tour de-france type of riders, what's their deal?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tour de-france type of riders, what's their deal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-21, 10:02 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
We need pics of that. Of you in it too.
I don't think we want pics. I'm guessing a $1,000+ skinsuit is made of actual skin.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-08-21, 10:08 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I remember doing a 400k brevet and the four of us were approaching a rider kitted out in the finest team skinsuit,everything all matching and clean, best TT bike, best wheels, just top of the line. Probably $20k

He was working it hard, maybe doing 20 mph.

As we passed, I realized he was like 80-85 years old and somehow it made me feel good to see that and then guilty that we passed him with such ease. If he was thinking he was doing the hour record or something else in his mind? At that age. Bravo!!!

I never understood why others care how someone else spends their money.
Old 05-08-21, 10:24 AM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I don't think we want pics. I'm guessing a $1,000+ skinsuit is made of actual skin.

Yes. It's specifically developed. Of course, it's a Specialized thing. They call it "Suitskin", or something like that. Fleshy, but with dimples like a golf ball. What ever will they think of next?
Old 05-08-21, 10:32 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by growlerdinky
Yes. It's specifically developed. Of course, it's a Specialized thing. They call it "Suitskin", or something like that. Fleshy, but with dimples like a golf ball. What ever will they think of next?
I used to ride with a guy who made his own. His nickname was "Buffalo Bill."
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-08-21, 10:36 AM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

The team van smelled funny.
Likes For growlerdinky:
Old 05-08-21, 11:27 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I remember doing a 400k brevet and the four of us were approaching a rider kitted out in the finest team skinsuit,everything all matching and clean, best TT bike, best wheels, just top of the line. Probably $20k

He was working it hard, maybe doing 20 mph.

As we passed, I realized he was like 80-85 years old and somehow it made me feel good to see that and then guilty that we passed him with such ease. If he was thinking he was doing the hour record or something else in his mind? At that age. Bravo!!!

It's the wind on your face. Between my surfing, which is now few and far between, and my cycling it is a real circle of life. Looking back over the eras of my life from the reckless abandon, to the smug "So where's your old man?", to just being thankful to be able to do this, it still comes back to capturing that youthful exuberance.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 05-08-21, 01:47 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
How do you prefer to look when you are huffing up a hill?
Well, if I had my choice I'd look like "Feather". No chance of that I'm afraid. Feather isn't a mortal, he's a workin' stiff that climbs like a machine.
Old 05-08-21, 02:39 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
gifted genetic freaks..
Old 05-08-21, 02:42 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
gifted genetic freaks..
Old 05-08-21, 03:53 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Which sports should adults be allowed to participate in? Pie-eating contests?
Adults should only be allowed to participate in sports which don't involve speed and sports which don't require wearing special sport specific clothing.
Old 05-08-21, 03:57 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,898 Times in 6,094 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Adults should only be allowed to participate in sports which don't involve speed and sports which don't require wearing special sport specific clothing.
Alternatively, you can only participate if you are above a certain level of performance. No more Cat 4 and 5 races, for example.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 05-08-21, 03:58 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearhawker
My neighbour has a Nascar decal on his car.
Who do I report him to?
Call 911 and report him.
Old 05-08-21, 04:01 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,970 Times in 1,918 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
When it's not something personally experienced, does not have the dedication/desire, or has an insecurity that these sort of things trigger; Human beings tend to naturally be bitter. Trying to inform such bitter minds only fuels more objection.
Old 05-09-21, 02:47 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I want to look like Marco Pantani, dancing up the mountain.
I started climbing with my hands in the drops because I saw him do that.
Likes For Lazyass:
Old 05-09-21, 07:17 AM
timgriffin2

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Sirrus 3.0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 32 Posts
I don't care what anyone else rides or how they dress. But I do take issue with the "roadies" that travel in a group and terrorize others on the local bike path. I've come across the group more than one time and if they haven't yet - someday they'l hurt someone. They ride at breakneck speeds - on a 10' wide path that winds through the woods and has many blind curves due to vegetation- riding double - yelling some kind of orders to each other. They came around a curve last week that ran me off the path. I yelled HEY! And they yelled back at me. They take up 3/4 of the path - and more on curves. I came across another rider around the corner that was just run off the path by them. Not cool - no matter how cool they look in their roadie gear and expensive bikes.
Likes For timgriffin2:
Old 05-09-21, 12:27 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by timgriffin2
I don't care what anyone else rides or how they dress. But I do take issue with the "roadies" that travel in a group and terrorize others on the local bike path. I've come across the group more than one time and if they haven't yet - someday they'l hurt someone. They ride at breakneck speeds - on a 10' wide path that winds through the woods and has many blind curves due to vegetation- riding double - yelling some kind of orders to each other. They came around a curve last week that ran me off the path. I yelled HEY! And they yelled back at me. They take up 3/4 of the path - and more on curves. I came across another rider around the corner that was just run off the path by them. Not cool - no matter how cool they look in their roadie gear and expensive bikes.
I'm not afraid to test the strength of my bars when those "types" are experienced. Those crowds are better riding in the road, hence "road bicycle". Common sense is not very common.
Old 05-09-21, 12:34 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,541 Times in 7,329 Posts
Here’s the house he lived in. Recently sold again. Might make a nice B&B as it’s very close to the GAP trail, and there is a lot of float activity on the river. Took a short detour to see it during my September tour across PA.

Old 05-09-21, 12:48 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Here’s the house he lived in. Recently sold again. Might make a nice B&B as it’s very close to the GAP trail, and there is a lot of float activity on the river. Took a short detour to see it during my September tour across PA.

Apparently, you can rent it for a night. I think I'll pass.
Old 05-09-21, 02:15 PM
Troul 

Wouldn't the gains of a dimpled surface be mostly from a rotational movement not linear? If the benefit[s] outweighed the costs, wouldn't it be in use with aircrafts [Airbus/Boeing] ?

Maybe the guy was using the selfmade suit on a spin cycle?
Old 05-09-21, 02:16 PM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Originally Posted by Troul
Wouldn't the gains of a dimpled surface be mostly from a rotational movement not linear? If the benefit outweighed the costs, wouldn't it be in use with aircrafts [Airbus/Boeing] ?

From your mouth to Gods ears, brother.
Old 05-10-21, 02:25 AM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 410 Posts
Originally Posted by PimpMan
I call them "wanna be tour de-france riders" i see every day a few who dress fancy expensive riding clothes and ride bikes that cost more than grand and ride as if they trying to set world record in speed, (often are running trough red light).

They all are skinny and probably would be fast riding any bike, but when they invest in lighter bikes this get's them even faster.

Never understood this what this riders are all about, are they try to set world record in speed or something, i doubt that they ever will participating in any cycling sport events.

I know there's such thing as bicycle industry and marketing that popularize this, e.g. fishing industry for example and if you go to fishing store you see thousands of lures, hooks, and different types fancy rods when in reality do you really need to make it so complicated to catch a fish?

I know this is also some kind of popularized thing, but what is it all about?

Generally, we tend to criticize people and things we envy, as it makes us feel better to think that people who are more fit or have nicer things than we have are somehow, in some way, inferior to us. We can’t call rich people smart or hard working, we have to call them greedy, lucky, or privileged. When we see an exotic car driving down the street while we are getting into our Toyota Corolla, we feel better if we say “That guy has more money than sense.” But in our hearts, we would trade places with him if we could.

These wannabe Tour de France riders like riding, and they like bikes, which means they can’t be all that bad. God knows they, like the other 99.99999999% of human beings in the world will never be good enough to ride in the Tour, but they are free to wear what they want, and ride whatever bike they can afford.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 05-10-21, 04:18 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,541 Times in 7,329 Posts
Apparently, you can rent it for a night. I think I'll pass.
IIRC, the basement scenes were filmed elsewhere, if that would make you feel any better.
Old 05-10-21, 11:03 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
Wouldn't the gains of a dimpled surface be mostly from a rotational movement not linear? If the benefit outweighed the costs, wouldn't it be in use with aircrafts [Airbus/Boeing] ?

Specialized used to put out some fun videos on youtube where they tested various things in their wind tunnel, that's basically where they proved that there is a small-but-not-insignificant gain from shaving legs, but no real gains to shaving facial hair.

Since I can't afford their dimpled skin suit, I'm compromising by blasting the crap out of my shaved legs with a BB gun. I'm gonna be so fast y'all...
Likes For ksryder:
Old 05-10-21, 11:08 AM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Originally Posted by ksryder

Specialized used to put out some fun videos on youtube where they tested various things in their wind tunnel, that's basically where they proved that there is a small-but-not-insignificant gain from shaving legs, but no real gains to shaving facial hair.

Since I can't afford their dimpled skin suit, I'm compromising by blasting the crap out of my shaved legs with a BB gun. I'm gonna be so fast y'all...

My source (my friend) just told me that the dimples are really small. They're basically pores. It's skin, after all. My friend knows what is and what isn't.
Old 05-10-21, 11:08 AM
afm199

Bikes: Trek Madone, 2012, Trek Kronos CX Ultimate, 2012

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by PimpMan
I call them "wanna be tour de-france riders" i see every day a few who dress fancy expensive riding clothes and ride bikes that cost more than grand and ride as if they trying to set world record in speed, (often are running trough red light).

They all are skinny and probably would be fast riding any bike, but when they invest in lighter bikes this get's them even faster.

Never understood this what this riders are all about, are they try to set world record in speed or something, i doubt that they ever will participating in any cycling sport events.

I know there's such thing as bicycle industry and marketing that popularize this, e.g. fishing industry for example and if you go to fishing store you see thousands of lures, hooks, and different types fancy rods when in reality do you really need to make it so complicated to catch a fish?

I know this is also some kind of popularized thing, but what is it all about?
My friend Martin loves his flashy duds and his carbon bikes. By the way, a higher end carbon bike costs $5k, not $1k. Martin's Venge weighs around 14.5 pounds.

He rides fast. He rides from San Francisco out to northern Marin County and back several times a month. That's a brutal ride with lots of elevation.

He's a top rider in local races as well. I wish I had half his ability, maybe you're jealous?
Likes For afm199:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.