Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Fenders for Kona Dew

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Fenders for Kona Dew

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-22, 10:39 AM
smokeycanuck

Bikes: Trek Verve, Surly Wednesday

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Fenders for Kona Dew

Hoping the "commuting" forum is the right place to ask this. I've recently pickup up a new Kona Dew Plus and I'm looking at some fenders. However 650b 47mm tires seem not an easy size to find fenders for. Has anybody with a 650b Dew sourced/installed fenders and what did you use? Thanks much.
Old 03-23-22, 08:25 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
fwiw - I'm pretty sure w/ fenders you want them 10mm wider than the tire. meaning if the tires are 47mm you want 57mm fenders. which is pretty wide for fenders. maybe you'll need "mountain bike fenders"?

is it a 26" wheeled bike?
Planet Bike Full bike fenders - 26" x 60mm

27.5? - 29"?
SKS Bluemels 75 U Fahrrad-Schutzblech (Set) // 27,5'/28'/29' (Kurz-/Langversion)
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 03-28-22, 07:31 AM
smokeycanuck

Bikes: Trek Verve, Surly Wednesday

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
fwiw - I'm pretty sure w/ fenders you want them 10mm wider than the tire. meaning if the tires are 47mm you want 57mm fenders. which is pretty wide for fenders. maybe you'll need "mountain bike fenders"?

is it a 26" wheeled bike?
Planet Bike Full bike fenders - 26" x 60mm

27.5? - 29"?
SKS Bluemels 75 U Fahrrad-Schutzblech (Set) // 27,5'/28'/29' (Kurz-/Langversion)
Problem is the fork doesn't allow for something as wide as 57mm - I tried the 60 mm and the sides of the fenders were being squished by the inside wall of the forks blades. That being said, I tried a pair of 700c x 50 mm by Axiom and they seem to do the job. Yes, ideally they could be wider but they do cover the tire completely while still allowing some room between the fork and seat stays.
Likes For smokeycanuck:
Old 03-28-22, 08:11 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by smokeycanuck
Problem is the fork doesn't allow for something as wide as 57mm - I tried the 60 mm and the sides of the fenders were being squished by the inside wall of the forks blades. That being said, I tried a pair of 700c x 50 mm by Axiom and they seem to do the job. Yes, ideally they could be wider but they do cover the tire completely while still allowing some room between the fork and seat stays.
sounds good. if you ever want wider fenders you can customize them by cutting them where they bind w/ fork & stays. you can even go as far as cuting them clean in half & mounting the 4 separate pieces avoiding the tight spots entirely. but all that is a lot of work
Likes For rumrunn6: