Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Going without saddlebag

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Going without saddlebag

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-22, 09:32 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4257 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 942 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Good to know. I thought it was against rules to call people on the forum bad names.
You show up at a brevet not being able to fix a flat and the other participants are going to wonder what your problem is.

Larry is seriously self-indulgent.

He has no issue riding on dodgy equipment in mass rides that might cause other people to crash.

It's not money because he was able to spend $10+ on a flag because he likes "flappy" things.

Did you even read his first post?
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 04-09-22, 09:42 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by 1989Pre
Are you too selfish to throw another rider a tube?
This isn't the point at all.
Old 04-09-22, 09:52 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10425 Post(s)
Liked 11,898 Times in 6,094 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Saddlebags are uncommon in the groups I’m in, they are not fashionable on 10k$ bikes
I bet they're either carrying a tube and CO2 or a minipump in their jersey pockets, or they're running tubeless.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 04-09-22, 10:08 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

people appreciate it when someone stops to help and I really don’t care if I have to slow down to ask. Maybe they are actually stranded and need a cell phone, or maybe they are just having a rough time with a flat that keeps coming back and want some moral support.
You carry a cell phone? Where?

Old 04-09-22, 10:20 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
You carry a cell phone? Where?
in my gym shorts
Old 04-09-22, 10:22 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

in my gym shorts
Lordy, I hope there's a pocket.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-09-22, 10:32 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
If you can afford a $ 120K car then you can afford to call a tow truck and pay extra towing bills....No need for AAA or any spares or tools.
Or help from anyone else.
Old 04-09-22, 10:36 AM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by njkayaker
You show up at a brevet not being able to fix a flat and the other participants are going to wonder what your problem is.

He has no issue riding on dodgy equipment in mass rides that might cause other people to crash.

It's not money because he was able to spend $10+ on a flag because he likes "flappy" things.

Really unfair characterizations man, I do have issues riding on dodgy equipment in mass rides and stay away from them when the issue is too bad. Sorry for trusting my horse with a little bit of a speed wobble, I was very aware of the issue.
I know how to fix a flat, and usually ride on 32mm tires that I can take off without tools, I can replace a tube on some bikes in less than two minutes. If I flat I start walking home, its happened number of times, its really not that big of a deal. People normally stop and offer a tube. It would have been nice to run into CAT7RDR the other day, I needed a spoke wrench and nobody I asked had one. bet he would have been happy to help

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 04-09-22 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-09-22, 10:45 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,542 Times in 7,329 Posts
Lordy, I hope there's a pocket.
Old 04-09-22, 10:47 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Really unfair characterizations man, I do have issues riding on dodgy equipment in mass rides and stay away from them when the issue is too bad. Sorry for trusting my horse with a little bit of a speed wobble, I was very aware of the issue.
I know how to fix a flat, and usually ride on 32mm tires that I can take off without tools, I can replace a tube on some bikes in less than two minutes. If I flat I start walking home, its happened number of times, its really not that big of a deal. People normally stop and offer a tube. It would have been nice to run into CAT7RDR the other day, I needed a spoke wrench and nobody I asked had one. bet he would have been happy to help
Honestly, man - if you've been given a tube ONCE, I kinda think you've used up your allotment of flat-fixing karma. It's a sign saying "I should carry a tube!", not "The Universe will take care of me!"

Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-09-22, 10:54 AM
njkayaker

It's not unfair. It's accurate. And it's easy to correct.

You shouldn't be getting tubes from other people. Unless, it's like an emergency.

One of The Rules is being self sufficient, but do you think it’s obnoxious for a rider to go without a saddlebag because they know that if they get a flat someone will be bound to have a spare tube on them? The only time this didn’t work is when I needed a crescent wrench and didn’t know some multitools have one.
Too many of your threads are like this.
  1. You know it's an issue.
  2. You ask whether it's an issue (after knowing it is)..
  3. People confirm it's an issue and then you whinge about it and want to "do your own thing" and say that they are all wrong while going on about how great a rider you are.
This nonsense might have been somewhat excusable at first but you show no growth/development.

Put more effort into joining the world of adults.

Last edited by njkayaker; 04-10-22 at 05:23 AM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 04-09-22, 10:55 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Okay, I just checked my spares. I have two saddle bags, at least one minipump, an extra set of tire levers, and a crapload of Shrader-valved tubes. I'm going to put them in my trunk, and next month, on the 7th of May, at 10 AM, I'll be at Canada and Edgewood for the C&V ride. You're welcome to any or all of it because I'm already set.

Old 04-09-22, 11:07 AM
LarrySellerz

Okay, I just checked my spares. I have two saddle bags, at least one minipump, an extra set of tire levers, and a crapload of Shrader-valved tubes. I'm going to put them in my trunk, and next month, on the 7th of May, at 10 AM, I'll be at Canada and Edgewood for the C&V ride. You're welcome to any or all of it because I'm already set.
This is a nice offer, I might take some of your tubes because I have a backlog of tires to fix (I think 2 but maybe more.) You didn’t strike me as a shrader kind of guy though. Someone I ride with already gave me some levers, lights, and a spare tube along with cleats and clip in pedals but I guess I didn’t learn my lesson. Didn’t want some of the stuff but felt bad not accepting it.

is drilling a rim out to fit shrader a bad idea?

also I’ve given away two bikes whole bikes I didn’t need to friends so that’s some karma towards incoming tubes.

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 04-09-22 at 11:14 AM.
Old 04-09-22, 02:00 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

This is a nice offer, I might take some of your tubes because I have a backlog of tires to fix (I think 2 but maybe more.) You didn’t strike me as a shrader kind of guy though. Someone I ride with already gave me some levers, lights, and a spare tube along with cleats and clip in pedals but I guess I didn’t learn my lesson. Didn’t want some of the stuff but felt bad not accepting it.

is drilling a rim out to fit shrader a bad idea?

also I’ve given away two bikes whole bikes I didn’t need to friends so that’s some karma towards incoming tubes.
Which is why I have a bunch to give away - I bought them by mistake.

Old 04-09-22, 03:32 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts

I read all the posts and I was surprised how nasty and rude others were towards him. Clearly, more than one forum rules violations.

Larry has admitted many personal problems here. Kicking someone who is down is rather disgusting sport. It should be pretty clear that a bike courier does not make much money. It is clearly money preventing him from having a decent bike and all the normal accessories.

I do not think Larry does brevets, so, I cannot understand your comment there about brevets.
Old 04-09-22, 04:18 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Just strap your junk to the bike. No saddle bag needed.

Old 04-09-22, 04:28 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts

Larry has admitted many personal problems here.
Giving him free tubes, free wheelsets and free bike parts isn't going to correct those problems
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 04-09-22, 04:59 PM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 410 Posts
On my very first group ride i got a puncture out in the middle of nowhere. No one on stopped to help, and why should they? I had a patch kit and CO2 cartridge, but I had run over a large screw which made two rather nasty punctures in the tube, which couldn’t be patched. After a couple hours a pickup truck with a rebel flag bumper sticker which said underneath “These Colors Don’t Run” and another which said “KKK, The Original Boyz In The Hood” stopped and gave me a ride to the nearest open bike ship (about 20 minutes away). Since then I carry a tube, a patch kit, a multitool, and a good compact pump.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 04-09-22, 05:18 PM
njkayaker

I do not think Larry does brevets, so, I cannot understand your comment there about brevets.
You have to be kidding.

Do you think he’s driving $120k cars?

The riding he does is much closer to riding brevets than it is to driving $120k cars.

Anyway, the comment about brevets was directed at you (not Larry).

Last edited by njkayaker; 04-10-22 at 05:33 AM.
Old 04-09-22, 05:32 PM
njkayaker

Larry has admitted many personal problems here. Kicking someone who is down is rather disgusting sport. It should be pretty clear that a bike courier does not make much money. It is clearly money preventing him from having a decent bike and all the normal accessories.
The soft bigotry of low expectations.

This thread is talking about a $6 tube here and people have offered free stuff to him.

Larry’s issues have nothing to do with being a poor bicycle courier.

He spent $10 on a flappy flag instead of $6 on a tube.

Last edited by njkayaker; 04-10-22 at 05:37 AM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 04-09-22, 05:33 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by Mojo31
Just strap your junk to the bike.
Ouch!
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 04-09-22, 06:11 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
Larry, I feel like I should just give you my bike and debit card if I ever encounter you on the road with a malfunction.

Old 04-09-22, 06:57 PM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
You have to be kidding.

Do you think he’s driving $120k cars?

The riding he does is much closer to riding brevets than it is to driving $120k cars.
Fixed.

What does expensive cars have to do with anything “Larry”?
Old 04-09-22, 08:19 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Maybe Larry doesn't carry a wallet in the hopes that the person behind him in line will pay for his stuff.
Old 04-09-22, 10:03 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
I carry a dedicated saddle bag on every bike. It has exactly the tools I would need (for that bike) to do 9 out of 10 repairs I might need to make. I include a tube and tire repair items as well as a spare tube and a Silca pump, When I started riding, there were no cell phones. I didn't want to have to depend on anyone to get home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.