Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Raleigh LTD-3 observations

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-22, 05:42 PM
rickpaulos

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 89 Posts

Sturmey Archer hub dated march 1972. The LTD-3 doesn't appear in the 1972 catalog but is in the 1973. "Built to Raleighs specs". There is a decal that says it was built in Holland by NV. Gazelle. The parts are all standard Raleigh 3 speed parts.

The serial number is on the front of the seat lug and is extremely faint. Looks to be 6 digits. According to The Headbadge Raleigh serial number data, this is typical for the model, age and location of production.

I installed a larger cog, 18t changed to a 20t and it needs a longer chain. I dug through my box of chain bits and i discovered the chain on the bike which is labeled RALEIGH has larger diameter pins. Standard seems to be about 9/64", this is 10/64" (5/32"). The chain had one half link on it. I found I had another half link that is also 10/64". It might work to just add the other half link but I ordered a new chain to replace the 50 year old chain to run on the nos cog. The owner wants zero issues with this bike.

The Raleigh head badge and the decals on the seat tube and rear fender are clearly cut off. The bottom part that would read "Nottingham" was removed. I've seen plenty of Raleigh badges without Nottingham England. Some have a black bar, some diagonal stripes, some Raleigh USA, etc. Raleigh had factories in many countries and the foreign made didn't rate the Nottingham label?

Raleigh chain with 5/32" pins.

Head badge clearly cut off because the frame was built in Holland by NV Gazelle.

Manufactured by NV Gazelle Holland

Northtowne Schwinn Cedar Rapids Iowa

1972 - 3 Sturmey Archer AW hub

THREE-SPEED

Rear fender decal cut off

seat tube decal cut off

Last edited by rickpaulos; 05-17-22 at 05:56 PM.