Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Freewheel cog spacing not even, causing chain rub.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-21, 05:45 PM
drewfio

Bikes: Mostly 80's Japanese built road and touring bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 26 Posts

I have an older Shimano 600 hub I just bought a new 7 Speed freewheel for (Shimano TZ510 14-28t). It seems the distance between cogs is irregular—slightly different distance from one cog to the next. I attached a photo but it is a little hard to see, but the black spacers are thinner than the white spacers. I figured maybe that was just an acceptable tolerance or it was by design, and decided to put it on and give it a shot. I can't seem to get it dialed in just right. It indexes clumsily, and in some gears it rubs a bit, with a metal-on-metal sound, and others it does not. Which might make sense if in only some gears it is closer to the neighboring cog. I'm using a SRAM 8 speed chain if that matters.

I tried another wheel, a slightly more recent Shimano 600 wheel from another bike, with a 7 speed uniglide cassette, and it works great, indexing with no metal-on-metal sound, so I do think it is the freewheel or wheel. Is there anything I can do about this? Should I just get a new freewheel and hope it is better? Could I get a narrower chain that would not rub? Could it be something else I'm not thinking of? Thanks!

Old 03-26-21, 06:07 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Most likely that chain is not for 7 speed
Old 03-26-21, 06:13 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6194 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Personally that chain looks a little wide on that cog.

Seems like I remember some mfrs varied the spacing on some models of their stuff. Don't remember who that was or whether it was FW's or cassettes.
Old 03-26-21, 06:15 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4206 Post(s)
Liked 3,870 Times in 2,314 Posts
If you place the new FW against the old cassette, doing so with the big cogs lining up with the other's small cogs help the view, can you see any cogs that don't line up between the two sets? Shimano's 7 speed indexing is based on consistent cog to cog spacing so if the new FW is spaced wrong it's cogs won't line up with that cassette's cogs. It is possible that something in the factory went wrong WRT the spacing. It would seem to make sense to return the new FW for another and see what happens.

BTW I see that the small cog has less clearance to the drop out then is typical. Does the chain rub on the dropout when in the small cog and large ring? Andy
Old 03-26-21, 06:15 PM
drewfio

Originally Posted by Moisture
Most likely that chain is not for 7 speed
Well, it is was specified as 6/7/8 speed: https://www.jensonusa.com/SRAM-PC-850-678-Speed-Chain
So I would hope that it works for what it says it will. And from my understanding running a one speed higher (narrower) chain should work fine. And it does work fine with my other 7 speed wheel.
Old 03-26-21, 06:22 PM
drewfio

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
If you place the new FW against the old cassette, doing so with the big cogs lining up with the other's small cogs help the view, can you see any cogs that don't line up between the two sets? Shimano's 7 speed indexing is based on consistent cog to cog spacing so if the new FW is spaced wrong it's cogs won't line up with that cassette's cogs. It is possible that something in the factory went wrong WRT the spacing. It would seem to make sense to return the new FW for another and see what happens.

BTW I see that the small cog has less clearance to the drop out then is typical. Does the chain rub on the dropout when in the small cog and large ring? Andy
Good idea about the cassette/freewheel comparison. I'll try that and see what it looks like. And, yeah, it is not quite right on the smallest cog as you noticed. It's noisier and has a bit of vibration. I thought that was from the pulley wheel not lining up as well with the irregularly spaced cog (it does not line up as well as the others), but it might be rubbing on the frame too so I'll check that.

I foresee returning it as you suggested though. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious/easily fixed.
Old 03-26-21, 06:37 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Did you readjust the der's limit screws and also the cable tension/length after installing the new FW? Ant time a different cog set is installed all the shifting adjustments need to be confirmed and corrected as needed. Andy
Old 03-26-21, 06:44 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
Originally Posted by drewfio
Well, it is was specified as 6/7/8 speed: https://www.jensonusa.com/SRAM-PC-850-678-Speed-Chain
So I would hope that it works for what it says it will. And from my understanding running a one speed higher (narrower) chain should work fine. And it does work fine with my other 7 speed wheel.
Nothing wrong with the chain.
That poster made my ignore list shortly after they started posting on this forum.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 03-26-21, 06:47 PM
drewfio

Did you readjust the der's limit screws and also the cable tension/length after installing the new FW? Ant time a different cog set is installed all the shifting adjustments need to be confirmed and corrected as needed. Andy
I did, yeah. I tried getting it dialed in for quite some time, and I'm usually able to tune a derailleur to work without so much trouble.
Old 03-27-21, 01:50 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I'm thinking your freewheel may have the dreaded SunTour disease. Wrap that freewheel with a face mask and keep it socially distanced from the rest of your bicycle parts.
Old 03-27-21, 02:16 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I'm thinking your freewheel may have the dreaded SunTour disease. Wrap that freewheel with a face mask and keep it socially distanced from the rest of your bicycle parts.
Whats wrong with suntour?
Old 03-28-21, 07:41 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture
Whats wrong with suntour?
In the early days of index shifting systems SunTour was slow to figure it out. Their solution involved using freewheels with unevenly spaced cogs. That didn't work very well. Prior to that time, SunTour had the major market share by a huge margin. Shimano's superior index shifting components allowed them to completely flip the market in just a couple of years.
Old 03-28-21, 09:47 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

While a good suggestion if we didn't know the FW brand/model but the OP did state that the FW was a Shimano. I have never seen a Shimano cog set that was intended to be SunTour shifting compatible but as I mentioned I guess some factory boo boo could have happened.

I suspect some other issue is at play that we can't discern easily with our not having the stuff in hand. Andy
Old 03-28-21, 10:39 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6194 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
I've seen some sketchy things on Aliexpress and even Amazon and eBay that had a name that looked like Shimano but was not. Can't remember how it was spelled, but everything about the design and wording printed on the part and in the add was to make you think it was Shimano..... but it wasn't.

Wish I'd kept the link to those few I saw that were obvious counterfeits. Can't seem to find them now.
Old 03-29-21, 07:56 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by drewfio
I have an older Shimano 600 hub I just bought a new 7 Speed freewheel for (Shimano TZ510 14-28t). It seems the distance between cogs is irregular—slightly different distance from one cog to the next.
Damn straight that spacing between the cogs is irregular. Somebody just grabbed a handful of random spacers when they replaced the cogs on the fast end. My advice is, remove the small cogs and spacers. Then see if any of them are the correct thickness by test-fitting them between the first and second and the second and third. Or just get a caliper and measure. If it turns out that fat one between 6 and 7 fits, I'll bet its a 6-speed freewheel that someone tried to convert to 7 speed by introducing thinner spacers between 3 and 4 and 5 and 6.

Then worry about the chain.
Old 03-29-21, 08:03 PM
oldbobcat

Originally Posted by Iride01

Seems like I remember some mfrs varied the spacing on some models of their stuff. Don't remember who that was or whether it was FW's or cassettes.
Campagnolo did that for their 10- and 11-speed road cassettes. And the difference is so small that you can't detect it with the naked eye, so if you mix the order when you put it back together the bike just shifts like crap.

That's not what this is.
Old 03-30-21, 08:30 PM
oldbobcat

What is SunTour disease?
Old 04-09-21, 12:39 AM
luns

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR600

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
+1

If I'm not mistaken, the hub pictured is an HB-6207. These were either 120.5mm for 5sp, or 126mm for 6 speed, but not meant for use with 7 speed. A 7 speed freewheel is 2.5mm wider than 6.

Shimano introduced 7 speed to 600 Ultegra with the FH-6400 freehub. This was a transitional UG freehub, which you could put either a 6 or 7 speed cassette onto. However, there's an 1.2mm washer that goes on either the left or right side of the axle depending on which cassette you use, with the dish changing accordingly.

https://si.shimano.com/api/publish/s...000-00-ENG.pdf

Just putting a 7-speed freewheel on what was supposed to be a 6-speed hub is probably equivalent to having this spacer on the wrong side. The 6207 hub has a 1.5mm key washer on the left side which could be moved to the right for the same effect.
Likes For luns:
Old 04-12-21, 10:08 AM
drewfio

Originally Posted by luns
+1

If I'm not mistaken, the hub pictured is an HB-6207. These were either 120.5mm for 5sp, or 126mm for 6 speed, but not meant for use with 7 speed. A 7 speed freewheel is 2.5mm wider than 6.

Shimano introduced 7 speed to 600 Ultegra with the FH-6400 freehub. This was a transitional UG freehub, which you could put either a 6 or 7 speed cassette onto. However, there's an 1.2mm washer that goes on either the left or right side of the axle depending on which cassette you use, with the dish changing accordingly.

https://si.shimano.com/api/publish/s...000-00-ENG.pdf

Just putting a 7-speed freewheel on what was supposed to be a 6-speed hub is probably equivalent to having this spacer on the wrong side. The 6207 hub has a 1.5mm key washer on the left side which could be moved to the right for the same effect.
The hub did originally have a 6 speed freewheel on it. I got the 7 speed speed freewheel since I was hoping to put the wheel on a bike with 7 speed shifter (and figured having the extra gear would be nice), which I borrowed the wheel from for another bike. I didn't realize the 7 speed freewheel was thicker, thinking the cogs were closer together and filling the same amount of space as a 6 speed. But it sounds like my assumption was wrong.

In any case, I've returned the freewheel. I also had another 6 speed freewheel (with even spacing between the cogs...) and set of 6 speed shifters I swapped out. All is working okay now. It sounds like I may have to stick with 6 speed if I want to use the wheel as is.