Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Tern Link D8 vs. Dahon Visc P18

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-16, 10:39 PM
kridershot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi!

Long time lurker posting for the first time!
I already have a Dahon Speed D7, but I need a new bike and I am currently looking into the Tern Link D8 (2017 with the Andros 2 Stem), and the Dahon Visc P18 (no idea which year model). The Tern is going for about $600, and the Dahon for about $825.

Before anything, I would like apologize for opening yet another thread like this. I have searched the forums and found very similar ones, but usually they go in different directions and people end up discussing different models. Unfortunately I am in South America, and I do not have a lot of options to choose from, that's why I opened this new thread. Sorry!
I have found available here a few Terns, Dahons, and Bromptons.
Bromptons are unfortunately out of my budget, and between Terns and Dahons I narrowed it down to these two, so if anyone wants to help me in choosing between them I will greatly appreciate it!

Anyway, I should say that I am a total beginner when it comes to bike parts and maintenance, but there are a few things that I am looking into.

First, I move around quite a bit, so having a bike that I can easily pack in a bag for flying is a major plus. I had to pack my D7 and it was not a nice experience. For this reason I think that having a bike with quick release on the wheels would be very good, since it would be a huge help with packing! I know that the D8 has them, but I couldn't find the information for the P18, does anyone know?

I know that obviously the P18 has 18 speeds versus 8 from the Tern. Is this alone enough to justify paying more for the P18?

I should be using this bike mostly for commuting and the occasional weekend ride, and I may want to do some upgrades later, likely small things, like changing the seat, or adding handlebar ends.

Any major practical difference between them that I should be aware of?
What would you recommend?

Sorry for the long post, and thank you very much!
Old 09-15-16, 08:48 AM
ThorUSA
Banned

Bikes: to many

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
you gonne get some answers here.... cant wait .lol
Anyhow... The tern has a much better cockpit, less flex and the Andros is very nice
The Dahon has 18 gears, which is pretty nice indeed.
If you would upgrade the tern you would spend at least the difference
I don't personally like the color on the visc, but that's truly personal taste
The Tern has fenders the dahon does not

Tern has big Apples the dahon has some called streetpac ?? good tires but not Schwalbe Big Apples
The Tern has a one piece steel chainring crankset the dahon has all alloy you can take apart and chage gearing ...

its a rougher tough choice ...

to me a Dahon Visc, with big Apples, with a custm length T section handlepost and an Andros stem, would be ideal ... :-)

Of course you would spend roughly
80 bucks for tires
60 for Andros
80 for handlestem
labor ? 50 dlr ?
on top of the more expensive visc

alternatively Tern
add double crank 110
add front derailleur holder 40
add front derailleur and shifter 80

lol
Thor
Old 09-15-16, 09:09 AM
bhkyte

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Check out the Tern frame recalls stories.
Many on these forums,me included, will recommend you avoid Tern due to dishonest cover ups from catastrophic frame failures.
These effect several models from several factories.
Don't be fooled by Terns offical line on a few bikes......etc look at Internet and check other threads discussing this aspect on this and other forums.
Thoruse has a great reputation with many customers and my recommendation against Tern bikes is not a criticism of that business. I have heard of thor sending parts free of charge to Dahon owners without being asked!!
The issue is with Tern.
I am sure others will chime in.

Last edited by bhkyte; 09-15-16 at 09:12 AM.
Old 09-15-16, 02:34 PM
SkunkWerX

Bikes: Trek DS 8.5 Scott Hybrid Thunderbolt folder '75 Schwinn Varsity '95 Schwinn cruiser '58 Wstrn Flyr...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ThorUSA

to me a Dahon Visc, with big Apples, with a custm length T section handlepost and an Andros stem, would be ideal ... :-)

Thor
^^I agree with this ^^

The OP says he moves around a lot, travels with his bike. Sounds to me like a good case for more gears, given, he could end up in places like SF or Colorado and find the need for some decently lower gears, or, end up in a flatter place where the high gears would be nice for zipping around.
Old 09-15-16, 02:56 PM
AvenirFolder

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bhkyte
Many on these forums,me included, will recommend you avoid Tern due to dishonest cover ups from catastrophic frame failures.
Don't be fooled by Terns offical line on a few bikes......etc look at Internet and check other threads discussing this aspect on this and other forums.
Thoruse has a great reputation with many customers and my recommendation against Tern bikes is not a criticism of that business. I have heard of thor sending parts free of charge to Dahon owners without being asked!!
The issue is with Tern.
Steel is real! Dahon Speed D7 is good ol' 4130 chromoly. I wonder if the OP has thought about keeping the D7 frame but switching out/upgrading the wheels and drivetrain? Double crank with an 8 or 9 speed cassette? Big Apples etc added to the mix?? You can do all manner of things to that sturdy steel steed:
(eBay ID# = 29186509954) . That looks like one sweet ride and it sold for a song -- last week no less. And you could do even more mods like upgraded pedals, Ergon grips and other things.

Might even be able to go 45mph downhill with a renovated D7.

Last edited by AvenirFolder; 09-15-16 at 05:46 PM.
Old 09-15-16, 07:04 PM
kridershot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ThorUSA
you gonne get some answers here.... cant wait .lol
Anyhow... The tern has a much better cockpit, less flex and the Andros is very nice
The Dahon has 18 gears, which is pretty nice indeed.
If you would upgrade the tern you would spend at least the difference
I don't personally like the color on the visc, but that's truly personal taste
The Tern has fenders the dahon does not

Tern has big Apples the dahon has some called streetpac ?? good tires but not Schwalbe Big Apples
The Tern has a one piece steel chainring crankset the dahon has all alloy you can take apart and chage gearing ...

its a rougher tough choice ...

Of course you would spend roughly
80 bucks for tires
60 for Andros
80 for handlestem
labor ? 50 dlr ?
on top of the more expensive visc

alternatively Tern
add double crank 110
add front derailleur holder 40
add front derailleur and shifter 80

lol
Thor
Thank you so much! Your suggestion does sound good, and I think that I am much more likely to do easier upgrades like changing the tires and handle than, say, change the derailleur. And the Andros does look very nice indeed.
I am still going to the stores this weekend to try both of them out before making a final decision.

Oh, and I just found out today that the store carrying the Visc P18 is having this big sale, and the bike is currently going for about $570, cheaper than the Tern! I don't know what year model it is though, but I suppose it wouldn't make a big difference?

I also found out that they have the Visc D18 on sale at the same store. Is this a big upgrade from the P18?

Originally Posted by SkunkWerX
^^I agree with this ^^

The OP says he moves around a lot, travels with his bike. Sounds to me like a good case for more gears, given, he could end up in places like SF or Colorado and find the need for some decently lower gears, or, end up in a flatter place where the high gears would be nice for zipping around.
Oh yes, I do go to places with lots of hills. I gotta say the larger number of gears in the P18 may be a decisive factor.

Originally Posted by AvenirFolder
Steel is real! Dahon Speed D7 is good ol' 4130 chromoly. I wonder if the OP has thought about keeping the D7 frame but switching out/upgrading the wheels and drivetrain? Double crank with an 8 or 9 speed cassette? Big Apples etc added to the mix?? Might even be able to go 45mph downhill with a renovated D7.
Oh I am keeping the D7! It's just that right now it's cheaper and easier for me to buy a new one than to transport the other. Maybe the D7 becomes my playground to move fast and break things while experimenting with mods. =)

Originally Posted by bhkyte
The issue is with Tern.
Thanks for the heads-up! I did see a bunch of threads about it, but I decided to trust that they're learning from the bad rep and making things better from now on. Maybe I am being naive but with the few options I have available, it's not like I can be too picky hehe. Thank you!
Old 09-16-16, 02:27 AM
bhkyte

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
There is a big difference between learning from mistakes and a dishonest company that closed forums, edited /deleted unfavourable comments, gives out misleading information (only one factory)etc, blames the customer for their bike falling in half etc.
I would not trust that they have changed.
ThorUSA thanks for you personal message, I have done my own web research it to Terns handling of this and IMO the evidence shows dishonest practice and concealment.
Old 09-16-16, 05:46 AM
SkunkWerX

Bikes: Trek DS 8.5 Scott Hybrid Thunderbolt folder '75 Schwinn Varsity '95 Schwinn cruiser '58 Wstrn Flyr...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not to derail the OPs choice, but, I have been taking a hard look at the Xootr Swift, while it is on sale.
It can easily be converted from 8 speed to 16 with the addition of another chain ring and front derailleur.

Packability for air travel would require wheel removal on the Xootr, but, even Dahons can be tricky to get situated in airline approved luggage.

If anyone (OP included) did not mind 15 or 20 minutes on both the departure and arrival side of a trip, the breakdown/assembly of the Xootr Swift might be a small price to pay for a superior ride. Just tossing this out.

Their current SALE is making me crazy. Finger over the ADD to Cart button several times already.

The point being, don't limit your choices. There are a lot of options out there.
Old 09-16-16, 06:25 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1129 Post(s)
Liked 857 Times in 599 Posts
Yes, the Xootr Swift is an amazing deal for the sale price. And the rideability and customization options are excellent as well. Plus the ride quality is top notch. The Xootr Swift is the bike I truly regret selling. I'd trade any of my bikes for it,...

Now, if the OP does decide to go with one of the suggested options, I'd vote Dahon Visc. The bike, stock, is ready to go pretty much out of the box. I'm a fan of it.
Old 09-16-16, 06:31 AM
kridershot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SkunkWerX
Not to derail the OPs choice, but, I have been taking a hard look at the Xootr Swift, while it is on sale.
It can easily be converted from 8 speed to 16 with the addition of another chain ring and front derailleur.

Packability for air travel would require wheel removal on the Xootr, but, even Dahons can be tricky to get situated in airline approved luggage.

If anyone (OP included) did not mind 15 or 20 minutes on both the departure and arrival side of a trip, the breakdown/assembly of the Xootr Swift might be a small price to pay for a superior ride. Just tossing this out.

Their current SALE is making me crazy. Finger over the ADD to Cart button several times already.

The point being, don't limit your choices. There are a lot of options out there.
Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately importing a bike would be a big hassle, and very expensive, so this is an option I do not currently have.

I did open up the possibility of buying the Visc D18 though, since learning it's on sale, but it's been hard to find more information about it online, so I will have to wait and see it tomorrow at the store.
Old 09-16-16, 01:53 PM
SkunkWerX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tds101
Yes, the Xootr Swift is an amazing deal for the sale price. And the rideability and customization options are excellent as well. Plus the ride quality is top notch. The Xootr Swift is the bike I truly regret selling. I'd trade any of my bikes for it,...

Now, if the OP does decide to go with one of the suggested options, I'd vote Dahon Visc. The bike, stock, is ready to go pretty much out of the box. I'm a fan of it.
Agreed, I gave the Visc a hard look earlier this year, myself.
Old 09-17-16, 06:41 PM
kridershot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, I ended up buying the Dahon Visc D18!

I liked that it has a T handlepost that is fixed height and not telescopic, and that it folds to the outside (should make it easier to change the handlebars, even if the fold is not as stable).

The P18 has a Neos and the D18 a Shimano Tiagra for rear derailleur, though have no idea if it makes a big difference. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The tires are kenda ksmart 20 x 1.35. They seem fast, but I may upgrade them in the future too.

I was hoping they would have the obsidian blue version which I like much better, but they only had the appletini color.
It looks like an avocado but I still like it.

Thank you everyone for the advice and comments, very helpful!
Old 09-17-16, 06:51 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1129 Post(s)
Liked 857 Times in 599 Posts
The Neos derailleur is, IMO, horrible. You're much better off with the Shimano Tiagra on the rear. I need to upgrade the shifter on my Speed P8,...the Neos is killing me!

Anyway, great decision. Keep us posted on how you like it.