Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tales of the Weird Biker?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-02, 10:45 AM
Inkwolf
Grounded

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What's the strangest place you've ever biked, or the weirdest thing you've seen biking?

I'm thinking of taking a weird weekend trip to the Janesville Wisconsin area and biking around....have a look at Miracle the White Buffalo, Rock Lake with its mysterious sunken pyramids, and after dark, see if I have the nerve to pedal down Bray Road in Elkhorn, where, in the late 90's, there were several sightings of an aggressive, wolfman-like creature.

Any bizarre stories to tell? Pedalled the crop circle tour? Seen strange and inexplicable sights? Been abducted by aliens while cycling?

Last edited by Inkwolf; 05-14-02 at 11:47 AM.
Old 05-14-02, 11:22 AM
RegularGuy
I am a lonely visitor

Bikes: Michelle Pfieffer, the Carbon Fiber Wonder Bike: A Kestrel 200 SCI Repainted in glorious mango; Old Paintless, A Litespeed Obed; The Bike With No Name: A Bianchi Eros; RegularBike: A Parkpre Comp Ltd rebuilt as a singlespeed.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How far will you be from House on the Rock? It's not exactly supernatural, but it is one weird hunk of Americana.

When I was in 6th or 7th grade, living in Fairfax County, Virginia, there were reports of a 6 foot tall hatchet-wielding man in a bunny suit who terrorized young lovers parked in secluded places. The newspapers actually reported these stories. One account told that the Bunny Man had been sighted chopping at the pillar of a new house with his little axe. A buddy and I climbed on our bikes and went looking for the damaged house. We never found it.

A few years ago, the Chicago Tribune Sunday magazine ran a "parting shot" photograph of a mailbox with a little cow-shaped weather vane on top of it. The address on the mailbox was in the county where I lived. So three of us went on a 40 mile quest to find the mailbox. When we found it, we stopped to take pictures. While we were posing and clicking photographs, the owners came home.

Probably the scariest thing I ever encountered on a ride was something I didn't see. I was night-riding on a gravel backroad, blind to anything outside of the beam of my headlights. I heard an unearthly screaming, squealing noise that made my heart leap into my throat. Later I determined that it must have been raccoons either fighting or mating...

...at least I hope it was raccoons.

Last edited by RegularGuy; 05-14-02 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-14-02, 11:45 AM
Inkwolf
Grounded

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went to the House On The Rock several times as a kid. I particularly remember the coin-operated mechanical orchestras! I think that was back when the original architect was still running it and it hadn't become a major tourist trap yet. I'd like to go again some day, though.
Old 05-14-02, 01:55 PM
Bbmoozer
Clipless Crash Clutz

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
House on the Rock!! Americana Twilight Zone! Wow... I went there to see Frank Lloyd Wrights archaetecture...wound up in a maze of STUFF for hours !

Any ride along the ocean (or big lakes too) is a great ride.... in any country.

Sarah in Wisconsin
Old 05-14-02, 02:48 PM
Bikes-N-Drums
Skin-Pounder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There was a man in Atlanta (died about 10 years ago) called "The Birdman of Buckhead". He was an old codger, probably not all there. He rode an old 50's model blue Schwinn cruiser with a basket on the front EVERYWHERE, always with a tank top men's undershirt on...and while riding he'd wave both arms up in the air over and over again. He was very well known to those in Atlanta because everyone saw this guy at one point or another. When he died, he got a full spread in the papers due to the lore he generated simply riding around town in an eccentric fashion.
Old 10-30-17, 06:17 PM
m.c. 

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikes-N-Drums
There was a man in Atlanta (died about 10 years ago) called "The Birdman of Buckhead". He was an old codger, probably not all there. He rode an old 50's model blue Schwinn cruiser with a basket on the front EVERYWHERE, always with a tank top men's undershirt on...and while riding he'd wave both arms up in the air over and over again. He was very well known to those in Atlanta because everyone saw this guy at one point or another. When he died, he got a full spread in the papers due to the lore he generated simply riding around town in an eccentric fashion.

Makes a few appearances here
Old 10-30-17, 06:23 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Just something I want to point out/ask about...

IMO "bikers" and "biking" is somethig that motorcyclists do on motorcycles. "Cycling" and "cyclists" are those of us who ride bicycles.

Dan
Old 10-30-17, 06:53 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
Easy. Rhino man, Bates Road, North of Ventura, CA.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2017-06-06 15.05.43.jpg (1.22 MB, 327 views)
Likes For Slightspeed:
Old 10-30-17, 07:55 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by m.c.
Makes a few appearances here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaUo3ftQ33s
Zombie Thread! 15 years asleep.

I lived in Hot 'Lanta for a few years through 1986 and sorry to say I wasn't aware of that fellow.
Old 10-30-17, 08:23 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
The strangest place I've biked was 14 1/2 years into the past so that I could see this thread from its beginning.

But I think when I got there, I became my double, like in Primer. I'm not sure if I'm really me. That's strange.
Likes For wipekitty:
Old 10-31-17, 12:10 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Just something I want to point out/ask about...

IMO "bikers" and "biking" is somethig that motorcyclists do on motorcycles. "Cycling" and "cyclists" are those of us who ride bicycles.

Dan
Yes.
Old 10-31-17, 12:11 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
Zombie Thread! 15 years asleep.

Also yes. This has to be one of the oldest ones.
Old 10-31-17, 02:02 AM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
There's a murder house near where I live. I ride by it all the time. It's been vacant for decades and looks very creepy. Nobody wants to buy it and move in.

Sometimes I take a route that takes me by my grandmother's old house. She died in that house. A few doors down from her place on the same street a guy committed suicide by hanging himself in the garage. He had a wife and two kids.

I also live close to where the 4 teens were abducted in the infamous Burger Chef murders in 1978. I was away at college when it happened.

Here's a zombie picture for a zombie thread.

Last edited by Doctor Morbius; 10-31-17 at 02:34 AM.
Old 10-31-17, 04:05 PM
Gaelen

Bikes: 2019 Giant Defy Advanced 3

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's an old insane asylum in town that's visible, the back of the building anyway, from the MUP. Somebody bought it when I was in high school with the hopes of turning it into a bed and breakfast. It's still empty.
Old 08-23-21, 11:26 AM
Birdman Fan

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Birdman of Buckhead

Originally Posted by Bikes-N-Drums
I grew up in Atlanta back in the 70s and my Grandfather lived in Buckhead on Peachtree Dunwoody dr. I remember seeing the Birdman on many occasions. He would ride with his arms flapping like a bird and he would make a screeching noise kind if like a crow. Back then everybody from around the Atlanta area knew who he was. We also thought he was crazy. But I’m glad people remember him.
Old 08-23-21, 12:24 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
And this zombie thread comes back to life once more...
Old 08-23-21, 12:51 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,553 Times in 7,330 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
And this zombie thread comes back to life once more...
In Touring, someone recently revived a zombie thread from 2000. And he's not a newbie.

When this thread was started I had been working again for a little over a year after taking two years off from the working world to really enjoy life.
Old 08-23-21, 01:26 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
In Touring, someone recently revived a zombie thread from 2000. And he's not a newbie.

When this thread was started I had been working again for a little over a year after taking two years off from the working world to really enjoy life.
This thread was started just before my 31st birthday. Where has all that time gone?
Old 08-31-21, 08:09 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by Inkwolf
What's the strangest place you've ever biked, or the weirdest thing you've seen biking?I'm thinking of taking a weird weekend trip to the Janesville Wisconsin area and biking around....have a look at Miracle the White Buffalo, Rock Lake with its mysterious sunken pyramids, and after dark, see if I have the nerve to pedal down Bray Road in Elkhorn, where, in the late 90's, there were several sightings of an aggressive, wolfman-like creature.Any bizarre stories to tell? Pedalled the crop circle tour? Seen strange and inexplicable sights? Been abducted by aliens while cycling?
this might not qualify, but this summer while joking w/ a friend I thought of flying a kite w/ a camera while I was biking. sounded weird & funny, but I eventually tried it & got it done. wasn't enough wind to get much altitude tho. need to try it again

oops, apologies, didn't notice the date of the OP. my bad

Last edited by rumrunn6; 08-31-21 at 12:35 PM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 09-02-21, 02:26 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 917 Posts
One of the weirdest things I've found while riding; I couldn't find the pic of the clown shoe.

The molted shell of a helmet.
Old 09-02-21, 03:07 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2582 Post(s)
Liked 5,641 Times in 2,921 Posts
The weirdest thing I ever found road biking was a black motorcycle helmet with a huge divot dug out of the the right temple sitting in the bushes by an intersection. The chin strap was still attached. The imagination filled in the picture.

Old 09-02-21, 03:09 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

The two strangest sites this year out riding are just bizarre. Doubt I could top these:

Old 09-02-21, 03:26 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by Inkwolf
What's the strangest place you've ever biked...
As a kid of 10 years my best friend and I decided to melt down some lead to make some fishing sinkers. The next afternoon we took off on both our little brothers Sting Ray bikes to go from Central San Antonio to Medina Air Force Base on the outskirts of S.A. It was a long and fair ride mostly on sidewalks (that's why we took the Sting Rays). When we got behind Kelly AFB we had a fairly wide dirt embankment and the Sting Ray's wide tires handled them well. At Medina Air Base we snuck under the fence in the brush behind the training ranges and worked our way through a drainage ditch avoiding the Explosive Ordinance ranges. Man, I really liked how the Air Force kept everything clean and labeled just for us. It was a four day weekend so no one was around and we easily managed to get to the Shot Gun ranges. At the shotgun range we scooped up OO buckshot lead from the surface of the cliche berms. Within minuets we had at least 15 pounds of pure US Government lead each packed into pant legs we had tied the ends off of and draped over our shoulders. It was dusk when we started our ride out. As we crossed over the back road an Air Police pickup truck making its rounds spotted us. We both took off like lightning charging into the bush and then into a ditch. Dragging our bikes behind us we low crawled around stacked pallets to our spot to cross under the fence. Once we hit the civilian road we were gone. It was a long ride back. It was dark. We constantly felt the APs rolling up behind us so we stayed well off the road and in the dirt. As we picked our way along the lights from on coming cars kept us in line. Each of us had our loot of lead hanging from our shoulders. The little Sting Ray's did not complain. It was 2300 hrs when we got back. All in all about a 32 mile ride. Only thing we had eaten was some boiled eggs and two large pickles we had stashed away when we started. As we rolled into the back yard my Dad just returned from work said, "Dam... I was beginning to worry... thought you guys went fishing." My reply was, "Nope, we gotta make some sinkers first." It was a great adventure...

Old 09-02-21, 03:27 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Found two more from this year;

Big foot mess

Jerry Garcia is really dead

Last edited by rsbob; 09-02-21 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Can’t seem to spell the word to, too, two, 2
Old 09-02-21, 04:07 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,972 Times in 1,918 Posts
everytime i bicycle by a walmarts, i intend to snap a pic, but I get too weirded out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.