Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I finally rode clipless!?!>*&, now I need shoes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-11, 03:01 PM
Ansir

Bikes: 06 KHS flite 300 00 Cannondale F1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all I finally grew a set and strapped on some shoes and rode around a little, It actually felt great, I feel as if I was transferring power alot better.

I have had time pedals on my bike for a while but just used gym shoes on them, haha. A guy I bought parts from gave me a pair of shoes, they are lower end and a little big so I do not want to spend alot of time in them, I ride about 100 miles a week. What shoes can you recommend that are not to expensive or if anyone has a spare pair of awesome size 9/42 give me a price, so far I like alot of the Nike shoes I see from a strictly cool look factor.

Cheers!
Old 03-07-11, 03:05 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Liked 944 Times in 623 Posts
When it comes to shoes, saddles etc ... fit and comfort is more important than "cool". Go to some bike shops & try some on. None of us know what shape your foot is and what will fit best.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 03-07-11, 03:15 PM
wrr1020

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Go to your LBS and try on what they have. Can even try them on see what you like and buy online if your looking to save a little money.
Old 03-07-11, 03:22 PM
Seattle Forrest

Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
The most important thing about bike shoes is how they fit. What brand they are, and all that other stuff, pales in significance.
Old 03-07-11, 03:25 PM
Ansir

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh I c, well then off to the LBS to try on some shoes, is there a specific sock everyone wears when they ride?
Old 03-07-11, 03:32 PM
chado445510
Raising the bar

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Allez Double (sold), 2009 Kestrel RT 800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ansir
Oh I c, well then off to the LBS to try on some shoes, is there a specific sock everyone wears when they ride?
Anything lightweight will work. Many use socks that rise just around the ankle, but really anything works, so long as it protects your ankle from the shoe in the constant rubbing of pedaling.
Old 03-07-11, 03:35 PM
climber7

Bikes: 2010 Jamis Xenith Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah, i hear pearl izumi has some great socks that can save you up to 50 watts...

nah, i just wear regular old athletic socks. works fine for me. also, i have shimano sh-132L shoes and really like them. some great prices online make it a really good value IMHO, but i don't know what your budget is. but as everyone else said, the most important thing is fit and comfort. try some on and figure out what size and kind you like.
Old 03-07-11, 03:41 PM
Carbon Unit
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You might want to let people know if you are looking for mountain or road shoes.
Old 03-07-11, 03:44 PM
Ansir

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbon Unit
You might want to let people know if you are looking for mountain or road shoes.
Well it is in the Road cycling section, but to clarify I would like road shoes.
Old 03-07-11, 03:52 PM
Carbon Unit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well it is in the Road cycling section, but to clarify I would like road shoes.
Great. A lot of people on the road forum use mountain shoes and pedals.

I have used three different pedal systems. Depending on which pedals you are using it can make a difference in which shoes you use. For example, I used Speedplay pedals on my road bike and Look pedals in a spin class. In my experience, you can use cheaper shoes with Look pedals because they distribute the pressure from the pedal a little better. I have cheap nylon shoes that I use in my spin class and they they work fine. I have carbon fiber shoes for my Speedplays and they work fine. I had SPDs on the cheap nylon shoes and I could feel the pedal through the shoe.
Old 03-07-11, 04:00 PM
Ansir

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How is the clip mechanism on the SPD cleats, my times are relatively easy to get in and out of but I still would be nervous if I had to unclip fast, I live in the city and ride on a path that is clear once I get to it but going through the city stuck to bike does scare me. Will I sacrifice alot of power if I go the SPD route?
Old 03-07-11, 04:49 PM
2ndGen
CAADdict

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-?

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
What shoes can you recommend that are not to expensive or if anyone has a spare pair of awesome size 9/42 give me a price, so far I like alot of the Nike shoes I see from a strictly cool look factor.

Cheers!
"expensive" is a relative term.
What's your budget?
You can get shoes as low as $50.
A decent pair will cost about $100.
Good pairs start at $150.
Great pairs, between $250.-$300.

I paid $40. for my first pair of road bike shoes (new) just to get used to them.
I did try my good pair of MTB shoes (because I rode SPD pedals),
but I preferred road bike shoes for road cycling.

My 2nd pair (entry-level Sidis) cost me $49. that I picked up barely used
(previous owner used them 2 times...they even smelled new when I got them).
But they start at about $100.-$125. Best shoes I can recommend if they fit.
https://cgi.ebay.com/SIDI-Mens-Raiden...4#ht_712wt_901

You have to find out which shoes fit you best first.
I try to support my LBS as much as possible, but not when they sell
products at twice the cost that just about any online store sells them.

If you can find a bike shop that has a good variety of shoes and that really takes their time in helping you find a good pair,
then that has to be figured into the price, so paying more from a LBS is worth it when the service is there.

Again, only you can decide your budget, but I'd say that $100.ish is a good starting point.
You should be able to get decent features and a pair of shoes that will last you for years.

Last edited by 2ndGen; 03-07-11 at 04:56 PM.
Old 03-07-11, 05:17 PM
Carbon Unit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How is the clip mechanism on the SPD cleats, my times are relatively easy to get in and out of but I still would be nervous if I had to unclip fast, I live in the city and ride on a path that is clear once I get to it but going through the city stuck to bike does scare me. Will I sacrifice alot of power if I go the SPD route?
I only used SPDs a few times. I found them really easy to get out of, but did have a difficult time hitting the sweet spot to get in. That may have changed with practice. I think if I had better shoes they would have been fine but I could feel the cleat with my cheap shoes when I stood on the pedals.

I really like Speedplay for easy of entry and exit.
Old 03-07-11, 05:21 PM
Ansir

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbon Unit

I really like Speedplay for easy of entry and exit.
It seems speedplay is the popular option for alot of people. I will have to look into them, I did notice that the design of the cleat for the time pedals does make it fairly diffucult to walk in. I would probably put my budget around a 100 bucks or so.
Old 03-07-11, 05:39 PM
kh6idf

Bikes: Cervelo RS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.performancebike.com/bikes...0_20000_400923

I have these shoes and like them a lot. $79.99 right now, good price.
Old 03-07-11, 05:54 PM
Seattle Forrest

Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Yeah. Wool.

If you want to save money on the shoes, and don't mind used ones, look on Craigslist. Sometimes you can find ones that are barely used at all, but someone who either didn't like clipless ( zero miles per hour fall club ), or went with a different system. I got a pair of carbon fiber soled SPD shoes for $45 because their previous owner went to Look or something.
Old 03-07-11, 06:07 PM
bhop

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Jamis Sputnik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought Lake shoes because I wanted a shoe with a built in heel for easier walking. The only other shoes I could find with some kind of heel are made by Sidi and they are expensive. The Lakes are a little more reasonably priced IMO. I've been using mine a while now, and still like them.

these are the ones
https://www.performancebike.com/bikes..._1095133_-1___
Old 03-07-11, 07:53 PM
coachgeorge
Real Men Don't Coast

Bikes: 2006 Fuji Roubaix SL-2012 Motobecane Track in Yellow-1984 Fuji Absolute

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
When it comes to shoes, saddles etc ... fit and comfort is more important than "cool". Go to some bike shops & try some on. None of us know what shape your foot is and what will fit best.
+1
Old 03-07-11, 07:55 PM
Daewon774

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale CAAD10-5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just noticed, no one said anything about speedplay pedals. I'm in the same boat as the OP in looking for pedals. Any opinions on speedplay?
Old 03-07-11, 07:57 PM
DanBell

Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
If you think you'll be walking a bit in your cycling shoes, you should seriously consider SPDs with mountain bike shoes. I use SPDs and Mavic Razors on my touring/commuting bike as I know I'm going to need to walk around in them at times. They're comfortable and easy to clip in and out of (although I've never accidentally unclipped). A good choice for city riding I think, although the walking comfort comes with a sacrifice of some of the stiffness you'll get with good road shoes.

I then have Time with Sidis for my road bike as I never have to walk in them more than a few steps.
Old 03-07-11, 07:57 PM
coachgeorge
Real Men Don't Coast

Bikes: 2006 Fuji Roubaix SL-2012 Motobecane Track in Yellow-1984 Fuji Absolute

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It really isn't rocket science.
Go to the LBS for your first pair. Try different styles, sizes and makers. They all feel different. Walk around and ride around in them.
Don't get your first pair used or from on line. (I can't believe I am saying this). The feel and fit are too varied and important.
My $0.04 worth (inflation)
Old 03-07-11, 09:00 PM
Carbon Unit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It seems speedplay is the popular option for alot of people. I will have to look into them, I did notice that the design of the cleat for the time pedals does make it fairly diffucult to walk in. I would probably put my budget around a 100 bucks or so.
I called Speedplay and thet suggested that I coat the cleats with Shoe Goo and after I did my Speedplay cleats were very easy to walk in. As easy as the Look cleats I use for my spin class.

By the way, I spent $105 for my Speedplay Light Action pedals.
Old 03-07-11, 09:04 PM
Carbon Unit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Daewon774
just noticed, no one said anything about speedplay pedals. I'm in the same boat as the OP in looking for pedals. Any opinions on speedplay?
I used SPD-SL for a month, SPD for two work outs in my spin class then switched to Look cleats; I have used Speedplay Light Action pedals for five years on my road bike. They are the easiest to clip in and out of the pedals I used. You do not need to look down, just step down and click you are in.
Old 03-07-11, 09:58 PM
timboishiding

Bikes: Raleigh Record Ace 2010, Trek Soho S 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello all I finally grew a set and strapped on some shoes and rode around a little, It actually felt great, I feel as if I was transferring power alot better.

I have had time pedals on my bike for a while but just used gym shoes on them, haha. A guy I bought parts from gave me a pair of shoes, they are lower end and a little big so I do not want to spend alot of time in them, I ride about 100 miles a week. What shoes can you recommend that are not to expensive or if anyone has a spare pair of awesome size 9/42 give me a price, so far I like alot of the Nike shoes I see from a strictly cool look factor.

Cheers!
I was fairly intimidated by the seeming complexity of clipless, but am delighted now that I crossed over. I am lucky enough to have a SUPER cool LBS that's sold me some 2010 Gaerne shoes for a solid discount. They're phenomenal feeling/looking, and I matched them with Shimano pedals. I liked the pedal/cleat combo, because I commute and have to walk a little bit, so the pontoon cleats were great for not wearing out with the walking. The pedals are also great, because they sit at an angle for easy entry.

On a slightly different subject, why does everyone like float so much? I have a little bit of float and pretty much despise it--seems to take away from responsiveness of each stroke when you're not straight up and down.
Old 03-07-11, 10:16 PM
nijotak
Imma newb

Bikes: Trek 1.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
whats the best brand for shoes? Is it Shimano?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.