Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

My free bike becomes a commuter

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

My free bike becomes a commuter

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-17, 09:43 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by Yip812
Original Poster here. This is a really old thread.

The bike is still rolling. I don't commute to work anymore (moved), but it still lives outside year-round. In the spring I air up the tires, throw some oil on the chain, and it's good to go for another summer. I think it will get used more for groceries and running around town than it did before, because I live closer to all that stuff now. I just got a cargo trailer for it, so that should be fun. Though I'll be curious to see if it gets used more for groceries or for taking my dogs on bike rides .
Very cool! Go, Yip, Go!
Old 04-19-17, 05:49 AM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Bikes: 2019 Surly Ogre, 2016 Giant Anyroad 2, Lightspeed Roadrunner trike, SE Tripel (in process)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Yip812
Original Poster here. This is a really old thread.

The bike is still rolling. I don't commute to work anymore (moved), but it still lives outside year-round. In the spring I air up the tires, throw some oil on the chain, and it's good to go for another summer. I think it will get used more for groceries and running around town than it did before, because I live closer to all that stuff now. I just got a cargo trailer for it, so that should be fun. Though I'll be curious to see if it gets used more for groceries or for taking my dogs on bike rides .

After I got into riding (a Craigslist Giant), I picked up a couple of free BSOs and converted them over to single speed beach bikes so I didn't get sand and salt on my commuter. Mine was a Mongoose, probably early 2000s. It was actually a decent bike, lived outside at the beach or in an RV storage, and all I ever did was wash it and lube it once it in a while. I'd still have it except I lent it to my brother when his bike got stolen and he managed to snap the crank.

That being said, my brother constantly rode department store bikes. Just recently, his bike got stolen again (he's had like 3 or 4 bikes total stolen) and I found him a great Specialized Crosstrail for almost nothing on CL. He has picked up another department store bike for commuting the couple of miles to work, but he does all long rides on the Specialized now. Department store bikes are great beaters but even an entry level bike shop bike is so much better.
Old 04-19-17, 06:42 AM
esmith2039

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I have it's twin! Free also.. It get's used on occasion. The frame itself is fairly decent everything else is cheap of course. If I had a better back brake would get used more often.

Old 02-12-18, 01:37 PM
NikBikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This makes me inspired to take a bike from the backyard and get good for some grocery store trips. Cool work!