Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Stems - Adjustable vs Fixed (Need higher rise)

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-22, 05:53 PM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts

Almost got the fit on new gravel bike dialed in and last issue to resolve is that the bar drop is too low and with a 6 degree stem (rise), sitting just below the top of the carbon steerer tube, I’ve realized I need more rise as I can’t go higher. I wish the manufacturer / shop would have left it uncut, as I only have 20 mm of spacers.

Ritchey has both adjustable and fixed stems. Unless I can calculate how much degree rise I need, I’m wondering if the adjustable is the way to go. Any experience with these? I would need one around 110-120mm (110 stem currently gives the right reach, not sure how more ‘rise’ affects this).

I want the bars up about 2-3cm.
Old 01-17-22, 06:14 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,431 Times in 2,759 Posts
You don't want a goofy adjustable stem. Something like the Surly Truckstop bar will give you 30mm w/o looking too weird. https://surlybikes.com/parts/truck_stop_bar Specialized has something similar with less rise and less $.

Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 01-17-22, 06:40 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 438 Posts
and...
a great tool to calc what stem you'd need/like to create the difference
The Habanero Stem Chart
and you won;t have to deal with an adjustable - adjustable is nice as a temporary install to get a 'feel', but you won;t get the 'reach' without calc-ing the length & rise/angle diff.
hence the chart...
Ride On
Yuri
Old 01-17-22, 07:13 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Adjustable stems are horrible; they loosen and squeak and really never work out well long term. Ritchey Ergommax handlebars have a 20 - 25MM rise (like the Surly) from the stem height and it will not look as goofy as a 30 degree 'hybrid-type' stem.
This is a great stem calculation tool we use at our shop for comparing stem angles and lengths: Stem Comparison Tool | yojimg.net
Likes For dwmckee:
Old 01-17-22, 07:25 PM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts
Thanks for the tips re handlebars. Didn’t think of that
Old 01-18-22, 03:28 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Noonievut
Unless I can calculate how much degree rise I need, I’m wondering if the adjustable is the way to go. Any experience with these? I would need one around 110-120mm (110 stem currently gives the right reach, not sure how more ‘rise’ affects this).
For a given length stem, a higher rise results in a slightly shorter reach. This stem comparison tool can be helpful, but most riders eventually accumulate a drawer full of trial-and-error stems anyway.

You might want to ask at your local shop if they have any "lenders" you can try out; there's really no substitute for a few long test rides to determine what works best.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 01-19-22, 10:40 AM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
Adjustable stems are horrible; they loosen . . . .
I always wondered about these - have one bike I'm always messing with - different bars, stems. But I ride lots of rough stuff and I don't think I could ever trust one of those.
Old 01-19-22, 05:39 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by pbass
I always wondered about these - have one bike I'm always messing with - different bars, stems. But I ride lots of rough stuff and I don't think I could ever trust one of those.
They are best left to hybrid riding on rail trails...That is not a bad thing, you just need to use parts for what they are designed for. Adjustable stems often do not hold up for longer miles and where you have more weight and stresses on the bars.