Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

wiring led lights on Gitane mixte

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-22, 06:18 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts

I have a vintage Gitane Mixte that came origionally with a generator powered front and rear light.I would like to keep the original light and change to led bulbs. The generators ( I have a few) all seem to be 3 watt, 6 volt. Has any one found an led bulb that can replace the original and work with the generator? If they won't work with the generator I am thinking of mounting a battery pack in place of the generator. The frame has a braze on bracket mounted on the left seat stay. Below is a picture of one restored. There are tiny braze on clips to hold the wires to the frame and they run inside the front and rear fenders to the head and tail light. I have the front light. Anyone know where I might find a rear light like in the picture?
Old 01-21-22, 07:22 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Something HERE might work. Scroll down to "Secula Plus"
Old 01-21-22, 07:25 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
There is another forum here called "Electronics, Lighting and Gadgets". You might find useful help there.
Old 01-22-22, 01:42 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,396 Times in 2,056 Posts
One issue you'll find is that the reflector is designed for an incandescent bulb and a LED projects its output much more directionally. This is fine for a "be seen" light but isn't optimal for a "see by" light.

You'd want something that radiates 360 to take advantage of the reflector.

https://www.amazon.com/Ruiandsion-E1...120783637&th=1

Last edited by dedhed; 01-22-22 at 01:47 PM.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 01-22-22, 03:28 PM
ted_major

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
Rene Herse has a bulb that sounds like what you’re looking for.
Old 01-23-22, 01:45 AM
gilesa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Assuming you want to retain the lamps, a conversion is well-worth doing: better light starting at lower speed. However, traditional dynamo installations depend on a balance between bulb and dynamo characteristics to control the dynamo's tendency to make more power as speed increases. Any bulb change is likely to upset that, explaining the "Pro Tip" on that Rene Herse page. The fix is to use an electronic regulator. This site is the only source that I know for parts for a simple conversion to LEDs (or halogen bulbs): https://reflectalite.com/regulatorpage.html They also have bulb replacements specifically for use with dynamos, but do not say what is special about them. I have not used their products, as I previously made my own conversion with standard electronics parts.