Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Double check my front wheel spoke calculations?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Double check my front wheel spoke calculations?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-22, 09:16 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
Old 01-23-22, 09:21 AM
bikerbobbbb

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting. It looks like I reused spokes I had for one of the 2016 rear wheels, 292 and 290mm.
https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...r-wheel-3.html

This part.
---------------
Previous spokes...
https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...0&category=197
DT Competition Spokes - Silver
1 Review
2.0-1.8-2.0 stainless steel butted spokes
185g/32 spokes
x20, 292 mm
x20, 290 mm

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...9&category=197
DT Swiss Brass Nipples
DT Swiss Brass Nipples - 2.0 x 12mm Silver Brass
12mm
---------------

There's a spot with spoke length calculator details above that, but I don't know what ERD I used. I was trying to find if I used the Mavic ERD vs. the ERD I got when I measured. I think Mavic is on the short side. My 2016 measurement I'm pretty sure is on the long side. I think I was just using a tape measure there. That's why too sloppy. Potentially I'd could reuse the ERD that worked for those calculations with the front wheel.

At least I found the spoke and nipple details.

If it's a front wheel, 36 spokes... I guess I'll order more than I need. 36+ spokes at 292mm And 50 or so nipples. It's ironic the nipples didn't strip on the cracked hub, that the hub was the part that cracked.

For the replacement rear wheel, I'll probably order some more nipples then but I could reuse what I've got on there. Worn spokes and worn nipples, reused.
Old 01-23-22, 09:27 AM
bikerbobbbb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I must have left the default ERD of 601 there on the rear wheel calculation. I didn't list the ERD because the site put it in for me.

https://www.prowheelbuilder.com/spokelengthcalculator/
rear wheel
MAVIC
A719
Shimano
Deore XT M760 hub rear It might be a typo but I see I had M770 before. It's M760 now which is the wrong hub but as close as I could get.
36 spokes
3 cross
gives me...
left spoke 290.7mm
right spoke 289.4mm
And then I had 290 and 292 spokes apparently so I tried reusing those, and it worked. That's erring on the longer side. For this front wheel, I was erroring on the shorter side.... If it's shorter, there should be more threads available, but... Now I'm remembering the end of the spoke should be at the end of the nipple so it's strong there and doesn't break...
Old 01-23-22, 09:32 AM
bikerbobbbb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So using the prowheelbuilder.com default Mavic A719 ERD of 601...
front
AMVIC
A719
shimano
deore xt 760 hub front. But it's actually a HB-T780 hub....
36 spoke
3 cross
That gives me 292.1mm.

So that's still looking correct, even based on how I calculated the 2016 rear wheels. This would be rounding down .1mm. The 2016 wheels were rounding up .6 and 1.3mm.

And then I actually cracked the hub from too much tension.... While I was cranking those nipples, I was thinking I was running out of thread. That's why I was thinking I'd go on the shorter side for these. But then the spoke needs be be fairly even with the notched in butt end of the nipple so it's structurally supported.

292mm still looks good.