Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

2012 Specialized Roubaix SL3 framset value.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-22, 12:53 AM
brianleston

Bikes: heavyweight Thai made mt. bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Considering a Roubaix SL3 but wonder if it is perhaps too long in the tooth. Will its damping still be effective. Or should I spend more and buy more recent. Any thoughts would be welcome.
Old 01-24-22, 05:33 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1745 Post(s)
Liked 1,371 Times in 720 Posts
I worked in a Specialized shop for a very long time and have seen the fads come and go. The Zertz fittings are a gimmick. If you remove the fittings from the frame you will be unable to percieve any difference in the ride quality. We did this at our shop at the suggestion of the sales rep. Notice that over time the Zertz fittings became smaller and fewer and eventually not used at all. No need to worry about the condition of them as they serve no real purpose.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 01-24-22, 08:20 PM
brianleston

Bikes: heavyweight Thai made mt. bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for info. Have you any thoughts on the sl3 against more recent carbon frames?
Old 01-24-22, 09:08 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4354 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
I would test ride some bikes and figure out which works best for you. Especially with carbon I wouldn't want to buy used so much unless I know the person selling it and trust them implicitly. I don't think you are going to get anything that great from that old frame. As TiHabanero said the Zertz are kinda silly and fairly useless.
Old 01-25-22, 05:31 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1745 Post(s)
Liked 1,371 Times in 720 Posts
A comparative test ride will answer your question. When the SL3 was first introduced I was at Specialized for training. I rode it back to back with a Tarmac, what I call a comparative test ride. That SL3 was like driving a big rig. It handled poorly and downhill curves at high speed delivered less than expected results. The Tarmac was just the opposite. It rode like a precision bicycle should. Only a comparative test ride will answer your question. Note that enough people liked the SL3 to make it a sales success. It just was not my cup of tea.