Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Squeak where spokes cross?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-16, 11:57 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts

Have an issue of squeak/creak where spokes cross. These are black spokes.
Àny thoughts?
Old 04-30-16, 12:20 PM
bikernew

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seems to me I just saw something on this, possibly on Youtube... if I find it before you do, will send back a link later.
Old 04-30-16, 03:20 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4205 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,312 Posts
Just how did you determine that the spoke crosses were the source? And the sound described as a squeak is not the typical spoke crossing noise. Spoke color doesn't affect the notching that is the common cause of spoke cross noise , a click/tick with a resonance that the wheel's size amplifies. Please explain your assessment in greater detail. Additionally can you measure the spoke tensions? Andy.
Old 04-30-16, 04:00 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
If in fact that is the source,

Wrap the cross with thin copper wire and solder it .. it won't do that any more..
Old 04-30-16, 04:20 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Or to test, place a piece of business card stock (or better yet a credit card stock) in between the touching spokes, all of them. Then ride the bike. Andy.
Old 04-30-16, 06:18 PM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 907 Times in 383 Posts
I once had a pair of factory built Ambrosio wheels with black spokes. Where the spokes crossed they weren't laced under/over. There was a space between the spokes. I originally thought they made a error when lacing them, so I contacted Ambrosio. They told me that the wheels were built that way on purpose to keep the black spokes from squeaking.
Old 04-30-16, 06:46 PM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

OK, here is the whole story. I work PT in a LBS and a women bought a Scott Contessa. She is someone we know as she had a Felt road bike but crashed it a few weeks ago. She brought the bike in yesterday saying it was making a noise. So I checked the cable tension on the RD and also checked and adjusted the FD. She road it and came back today saying it was still making "the noise". So I took off the spoke protector thinking maybe that was it and when I was checking the spoke tension I squeezed a few pair of spokes and she said'That's the noise!". So I went outside and jogged alongside of her while she rode. I hate jogging! And it did make a bit of noise. Not the noise of a newly built wheel where the nipples are seating themselves. So I had heard about using a drop of lube on each touching spoke,I know this is a short term fix. But I will see her on a ride Tuesday.
So that's the situation. I am open to advice.
Old 04-30-16, 09:25 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Tandem Tom
OK, here is the whole story. I work PT in a LBS and a women bought a Scott Contessa. She is someone we know as she had a Felt road bike but crashed it a few weeks ago. She brought the bike in yesterday saying it was making a noise. So I checked the cable tension on the RD and also checked and adjusted the FD. She road it and came back today saying it was still making "the noise". So I took off the spoke protector thinking maybe that was it and when I was checking the spoke tension I squeezed a few pair of spokes and she said'That's the noise!". So I went outside and jogged alongside of her while she rode. I hate jogging! And it did make a bit of noise. Not the noise of a newly built wheel where the nipples are seating themselves. So I had heard about using a drop of lube on each touching spoke,I know this is a short term fix. But I will see her on a ride Tuesday.
Improperly tensioned spoks = too low tension?

Cheers
Old 05-01-16, 11:09 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Or to test, place a piece of business card stock (or better yet a credit card stock) in between the touching spokes, all of them. Then ride the bike. Andy.
This is a great way to rule out the spokes as the source.
Old 05-01-16, 02:11 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

This thread is a great one to ask if noise is always wrong, a situation requiring a fix. I have my opinions but would be interested to hear other's thoughts. Andy
Old 05-01-16, 02:15 PM
bikernew

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is the link to website on bike noise:
Bicycle Bike Noises, Clicks, Ticks, Creaks, Clunks, Knocks Repair by Jim Langley

Andy,
Not sure if wrong, or requiring a fix, but I personally dont care for any noises.
Old 05-01-16, 03:13 PM
Tandem Tom

Will try the business card technique next. Thanks!
Old 05-02-16, 12:34 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
This thread is a great one to ask if noise is always wrong, a situation requiring a fix. I have my opinions but would be interested to hear other's thoughts. Andy
My new rear wheel has squeaky spokes. It's a distinctive sound, sorta like a muted harp. I've ridden it only three times and don't plan to worry about it for a few weeks. The LBS replaced the original single wall rim with double wall and thicker stainless spokes. Ride feels the same, maybe slightly stiffer on some loose sand and gravel, which is a good thing.

Stainless steel has a reputation for galling, something that worried early owners of stainless steel firearms decades ago. But I'm not sure it's worth fretting over for bicycle spokes.
Old 05-02-16, 08:34 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
I've had some limited luck with using waxed dental floss by just flossing the spoke contact spots. Sometimes it cures the problem permanently sometimes not. As mentioned make sure your spokes are tensioned properly. A string coated with grease is another option used to floss the spokes with. Lots of ways to skin this cat.
Old 05-04-16, 07:23 PM
Tandem Tom

I had the opportunity to ride with the lady last night and heard first hand the "noise". It sounded like a spoke noise so she graciously dropped the bike off at the shop this AM. Did 2 things first I re-lube the hubs bearings and adjusted the cones then de-tensioned the wheel and then re-tensioned and trued it up. Took it out for a test ride and no more noise!
Thanks for your replies!
Old 01-22-22, 06:52 PM
sbishopsf

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
3-in-1 on wheel nipples

I found this 10 year old thread really helpful. I did the card thing -- even oiled all the spoke crossings. No luck, though it did help me identify the one offending spoke that made so much creaking noise. Turns out it was the wheel nipple. A put on a few drops of 3-in-1 on and it was solved. My only concern is if 3-in-1 is corrosive to tubes. A dab of grease might be better. I might also try tightening the spoke later, but didn't want to go down the truing rabbit hole at the time.
Old 01-23-22, 10:04 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Being old and having a somewhat diminished hearing range is a blessing I’ve had people come into my co-op complaining about the horrible noise their bike is making and it turned out to be a few threads on the tire that brushed the brake pads. I had to turn off the radio and call for complete silence with my head touching the tire to hear that “horrible noise”.

I trimmed the threads and told the person to learn how to sing show tunes…loudly!
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 01-23-22, 10:12 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Being old and having a somewhat diminished hearing range is a blessing
Eh? What? Speak up!
Old 01-24-22, 09:58 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 356 Posts
Why on earth not just put a drop of lube at every spoke cross? I had a set of wheels that did this and a tiny bit of oil totally eliminated the noise. I found the lube needed refreshing every 5,000 miles or so.
Old 01-24-22, 12:33 PM
M4tt3

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
Why on earth not just put a drop of lube at every spoke cross? I had a set of wheels that did this and a tiny bit of oil totally eliminated the noise. I found the lube needed refreshing every 5,000 miles or so.
I did the same, bit of lube and never heard that annoying sound ever again.
Old 01-24-22, 12:47 PM
keithdunlop

Bikes: 1988 Bottecchia Professional (for Eroica), 2011 Ridley Noah ISP (retired), 2020 Soma Fog Cutter (daily commuter), 2021 Ridley Kanzo Adventure (gravel), 2022 Tideace Aero (main road bike).

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 32 Posts
This sounds like under-tensioned spokes. Lubing the spoke crossing will not fix this.
Old 01-24-22, 06:07 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I had to turn off the radio and call for complete silence with my head touching the tire to hear that “horrible noise”.
I've found the occasional even road-width-long tunnel on a rail trail really amplifies any mechanism noise, since it's a sound reinforcing structure and you're often in there alone without any traffic noise.

Then there's the stethoscope with open tube end.

Originally Posted by keithdunlop
This sounds like under-tensioned spokes. Lubing the spoke crossing will not fix this.
Indeed, the OP mentioned they re-tensioned the wheel, which is likely what actually solved it.

Last edited by UniChris; 01-24-22 at 06:10 PM.
Old 01-25-22, 03:45 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
I seem to remember reading that some Pro-Lite wheels come with little plastic thingies (for want of a better word) at the point where the spokes cross over. I wonder if there's a source for those?
Old 01-27-22, 10:27 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by keithdunlop
Yup. This problem developed on my rear hub drive ebike last summer. Not a squeak, thought at first it was bad crank bearing, but took me a while to solve it. Went over rear spokes with wrench and snugged those that were loose. Voila, problem solved (until next time).