Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Should I Buy This Grand Jubile?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Should I Buy This Grand Jubile?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-23, 09:12 PM
kroozer 
vintage motor

Bikes: 48 Automoto, 49 Stallard, 50 Rotrax, 62 Jack Taylor, 67 Atala, 68 Lejeune, 72-74-75 Motobecanes, 73 RIH, 71 Zieleman, 74 Raleigh, 78 Windsor, 83 Messina (Villata), 84 Brazzo (Losa), 85 Davidson, 90 Diamondback, 92 Kestrel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 79 Posts
The actual mechanics of French bikes from that time are no different from anything else, but the sizes were often distinct. This is only an issue when you need to replace certain parts, and with just a bit of searching you can find what you need. On that bike the threads for the rear hub/freewheel should be standard, as well as the pedals/cranks arms. I think the only parts with French sizing and threads would be the bottom bracket, headset, and stem, and from the overall looks of that bike I would guess those are fine and won't need replacing anytime soon. I would not let Frenchness alone dissuade me from getting a bike. Actually, my first good bike was a Grand Jubilee, it's a very good and versatile all-rounder, so I would heartily recommend it.
Likes For kroozer:
Old 08-20-23, 07:24 AM
Schreck83 

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 162 Posts
There usually aren't many 25" frames out there of this caliber in a C&V style. This one will clean up nicely, look and ride great.
I'd buy it.

Likes For Schreck83:
Old 08-20-23, 11:23 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
The 172 frames are nice and the fork being the same is even better.
Old 08-20-23, 11:32 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
FWIW, the Nervar cranks use a standard 22.0 mm extractor tool. Double check the crank bcd if you look at it - Nervar made some cranks with 144 I think, and for that matter 5 minutes and a dremel or drill to open 130 bcd rings in 1 mm and you’re good to go. I’ve done that with an older Nervar Star to get a 47T 130 bcd ring to fit and it works beautifully.

It’s a nice bike, and somewhere in the early 80s Motobecane went ISO on threading and dimensions.
Old 08-20-23, 08:48 PM
Sedgemop 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '78 Motobecane Le Champion '83 Motobecane Grand Jubile '85 Trek 830 '88 Merckx Team ADR Corsa Extra

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 1,214 Times in 651 Posts
A French bike isn't the most sensible place to start learning about wrenching, but it's pretty fun. I've been working on French bikes the past handful of years and have really enjoyed learning about them. The French march to their own drummer, for sure. As somebody else mentioned, by the time the GJ in question came along, there were fewer French idiosyncrasies than in the boom era, so it's not a bad place to start mechanicing.

In regards to the rear derailleur, the one on the bike probably works fine. If you get the bike and want an original look, the Simplex SX610 works pretty well, the all-metal SX630 might be a little better. When in doubt, get a Suntour Cyclone RD. They work great and that's what the GJ's of the previous generation were wearing. Like this one: