Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

How Green Are You?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

How Green Are You?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-23, 05:35 AM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
How Green Are You?

I had a dream last night that I was in a TV show called, "How Green Are You"? (Fictional.) The winner would win $1,000,000,000. The rules, no use of cars or trucks. No matter what! Amtrak took us to a remote mining town, somewhere up North. No problem, I thought. I'm green from the word go! Not so fast. First they said we had to take care of several little kids. The store was miles away, down the mountain and in town. I started to make several trip up the mountain to move the gear up the hill. then it snowed. Not just a little but a lot. The Snow got deeper with each hour that passed. Someone got out a Horse drawn sleigh to haul all the stuff up the hill. It started to Snow even more. The kids were cold and weren't happy. I put them all on Cross Country Skis and helped out moving all the gear. And then....Wow! what a dream. How far are you willing to be Green?
Likes For Colorado Kid:
Old 09-04-23, 02:17 PM
Hvac

Bikes: About 10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
You’re chartreuse, I’m dark green.
I try but travel on planes and automobiles is my downfall. What can I do? We use less energy than most in our house energy consumption. We batch our trips to town. We use clotheslines and compost and bikes and ride sharing. Self powered transport as is possible.
Carbon footprint can be measured with online calculator..Try using one, you’ll be surprised.
Old 09-05-23, 07:50 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
I went 30 years without a car. It was never about "Going Green" but all about having "Rolls of Green" in my pocket. Ditching the car saved me tons of money. Purely selfish motive. I only had to work about 6 months a year, bike toured around North America for fun the rest of the time (milder months).
Old 09-06-23, 08:14 AM
lairlair

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Ditching the car saved me tons of money.
Yeah there's a direct correlation between co2 emissions and economic growth. That's why states struggle to make real ecologically sound policies. To make a true impact, you'd have to explain to everyone that there will be a big recession and that it will last for years and years...

Anyway, yeah, to answer the question I rely almost exclusively on public transport and cycling, eat almost no meat and few animal product, buy lots of stuff second hand... But honestly it all feels a bit pointless when you see the big coal mine being extended near my home. So I try to find joy in all of that, and cycling is good for the soul.
Old 09-06-23, 09:37 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by lairlair
... honestly it all feels a bit pointless when you see the big coal mine being extended near my home. So I try to find joy in all of that, and cycling is good for the soul.
I'm at peace with my choices. 30 years not driving daily (I rented cars occasionally for vacations) and not having any children. So if I had 3 kids and each had 3 kids I would have added 12 "oil burners" to the equation by now, assuming they all survived to today.

No coal mines near me but I feel the same as you when I see ppl driving giant vehicles needlessly. Giant pickups with perfect tailgate poseurs especially.

I did my part and more than most I believe. Sadly I'm going to get what they deserve anyway.
Old 09-06-23, 10:25 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
I am not green or probably even a remote shade of green. I love cycling but I love driving my 4x4 truck too. I love drinking beer but alas don't recycle cans or bottles. tried it once and then the outfits stopped taking glass and cardboard so was not worth driving to the place just to drop off a weeks worth of cans ~42 cans. easier to just either throw then out the window as I was headed to buy more beer.
Old 09-18-23, 06:01 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by lairlair
Yeah there's a direct correlation between co2 emissions and economic growth.
Actually in recent years GDP has begun detaching itself from oil:
https://www.energypolicy.columbia.ed...cline-oil-gdp/
https://www.iea.org/news/growth-in-g...cantly-by-2028
Old 09-21-23, 04:53 AM
lairlair

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
Actually in recent years GDP has begun detaching itself from oil:
Interesting! The remaining question is: does this better efficiency mean less CO2 emissions, or is this compensated by overall growth? Also, it shouldn't come as a surprise because peak oil is estimated to have been reached around 2008, and the economy is now surviving on shell oil (which isn't reliable or profitable at all). So obviously, the oil industry is at a crossroad and there's more and more pressure to give it up. I'm curious to see how this all unfolds.
Old 09-21-23, 04:58 AM
DonkeyShow

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
Is being poor considered being green or just sad?
Old 09-24-23, 09:34 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by DonkeyShow
Is being poor considered being green or just sad?
It can be both.
Old 09-26-23, 11:25 AM
AndreyT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 30 Posts
Korben Dallas : [shoves a bag into Ruby's hands] You guard this with your life, or you're gonna look like this guy here! You green?
DJ Ruby Rhod : G-green.
[cut to the President's office, where every word is being heard over the radio, transmitted galaxy-wide on Ruby's radio show]
Korben Dallas : Super green?
DJ Ruby Rhod : Super green.
President Lindberg : Is that your idea of a discreet operation?
General Munro : Don't-don't worry, sir. I know my man. He'll calm things down.
Old 09-27-23, 01:54 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
As far as being green goes, I have endeavored lately to keep all of my travels local by not traveling long-distance anymore. I am car-free and rarely travel the 20 miles to the city on a bus.
I should be more diligent when it comes to ordering from Ebay. They have a distance-from-your-home criterium that you can click on and buy the closest item of a certain type. No air-conditioning for me, but I feel a little guilty about the hot baths I take every night.

Last edited by 1989Pre; 10-03-23 at 02:55 PM.