Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

15 minute cities

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

15 minute cities

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-23, 04:19 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by rykard
They are talking about limiting the times you can leave your zones in the UK,
That's nonsense - its a right wing conspiracy theory. The idea is to make it possible to do everything you need to do close to home. Nobody is going to stop you going wherever you want.
Likes For cooker:
Old 09-11-23, 04:36 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
It's the infamous "they."
Old 09-11-23, 04:37 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Originally Posted by Bully4
Basically, the concept seems to be concentrated on separating a person from their car. Sorry, but restricting a person's ability to travel by means of further "taxation" is a form of control. Vehicle ownership already has numerous costs designed to support the highway system. Conspiracy or not, where does this new tax money go?
Has anybody given any consideration how easily another pandemic would spread in one of these cities? There seems to be a utopian vision that everybody will be happy and mingling in the empty streets. Sorry for the questioning attitude- still waiting for the source of the first pandemic to be divulged.

Overall, the concept sounds efficient. Most likely a good idea. I still don't think there is much variation from what already exists in larger cities. In NY, it seemed that a person needed to be "well off" to afford the expense of vehicle ownership. It appears that the 15 minute city concept envisions that process as well. As always, the source of issues occurs when some try to force their ideas onto others.
There is no plan to restrict people's freedom of movement (that's a right wing conspiracy theory), but making it less convenient or more expensive to drive inside a city is a good idea. It's actually the pro-car faction who have been the ones forcing their ideas onto cities for 80 years, evicting people from their private homes to build public freeways and parking lots where there used to be vibrant sidewalk life, spewing exhaust and shedding particulates and creating a lot of carnage. I own a car too, and while we may think we're paying a lot in taxes and fees, we aren't actually paying our way- road and traffic costs are huge and underrecognized, and to some extent paid by everybody. So giving the city back to all the people, rather than favoring driving, is the right thing to do.

And it's not going to somehow be imposed abruptly and willy-nilly on sprawling suburban areas where you currently can't function without a car. It will happen gradually over maybe a generation or two of better planning and incentives.

Last edited by cooker; 09-11-23 at 04:43 PM.
Old 09-11-23, 04:45 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
What is apparent is that most people like to think that everything is great and any change at all would be horrible. Small wonder we live in such a backward country.
Old 09-11-23, 06:54 PM
Bully4

Bikes: Trek madone and emonda, one older Cannonade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Valid points. You might add that the highway system also serves as a route for goods to be delivered. Many of those emission spewing vehicles tend do deliver just about everything we consume. I might add bikes and parts to the list, LOL. Most cities have also thrived and grown with the convenience of cost effective shipping. As transportation costs rise, the price of consumables will inevitably rise. Tolls were $25 to drive a truck into NY 40 years ago. I can only imagine what that cost is now.

I remember a picture of Altoona in the 50's. Streetcar tracks in the center of the road taking people to the business district. They are gone now. Affordable cars replaced the need for public transportation. I agree that it should take a while and change is inevitable. Fine by me-gives me some time to run out the clock.

Everybody has their own ideas of convenience and freedom. I made a good friend in NY while working there in the 80's. He said he moved to Montana for a while, then missed the city and returned.

Myself, I prefer more rural areas. Personally, I feel that it will take a lot to convince people like me that the convenience will be worth it. However, I don't foresee living in the city.
Old 09-11-23, 07:08 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 412 Posts
If we are talking about America, less than 2% of the country is urban, and more than 85% of America’s population lives on this 2%. Not all of these urban areas are “15 minute cities,” but commuting distances, with some exceptions, are short.

There are no public policies mandating the formation of cities, they tend to form on their own to facilitate economic activity. So long as public safety, sanitation, necessary services and utilities are maintained, cities de well enough on their own. Unfortunately, such is not the case with too many of our cities, in which recent changes in city policies have resulted in large increases in addiction, homelessness, crime, and violence. These have resulted in outward migration, and most of America’s largest cities are seeing significant declines in their populations.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 09-11-23, 07:28 PM
Bully4

Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
If we are talking about America, less than 2% of the country is urban, and more than 85% of America’s population lives on this 2%. Not all of these urban areas are “15 minute cities,” but commuting distances, with some exceptions, are short.

There are no public policies mandating the formation of cities, they tend to form on their own to facilitate economic activity. So long as public safety, sanitation, necessary services and utilities are maintained, cities de well enough on their own. Unfortunately, such is not the case with too many of our cities, in which recent changes in city policies have resulted in large increases in addiction, homelessness, crime, and violence. These have resulted in outward migration, and most of America’s largest cities are seeing significant declines in their populations.
Good point! I must admit that I disagree with a lot of the policies being implemented. But.....how does a person even know if information is credible or political BS?
Living in rural areas is not always fun, either. More populous areas always have more opportunities for career paths. I chose rural; the next person might choose the city. No right or wrong answer-personal choice. I'll just forge ahead as normal. I don't drive much. I put more miles on my bikes than my pick-up. However, I'm not currently willing to give up either on a whim or futuristic trend.
Old 09-12-23, 04:39 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 190 Times in 132 Posts
Man, the vilification of "let's plan our cities better so people don't have to drive as far to get what they need" is mind-blowing.
Likes For Viich:
Old 09-12-23, 05:05 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
I live in a city of 75K which is often called a 'suburb' of a larger city with a population almost 10X as large. I'm all for 15-minute cities.
Likes For bOsscO:
Old 09-13-23, 10:33 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Valid points. You might add that the highway system also serves as a route for goods to be delivered. Many of those emission spewing vehicles tend do deliver just about everything we consume. I might add bikes and parts to the list, LOL. Most cities have also thrived and grown with the convenience of cost effective shipping. As transportation costs rise, the price of consumables will inevitably rise. Tolls were $25 to drive a truck into NY 40 years ago. I can only imagine what that cost is now.

I remember a picture of Altoona in the 50's. Streetcar tracks in the center of the road taking people to the business district. They are gone now. Affordable cars replaced the need for public transportation. I agree that it should take a while and change is inevitable. Fine by me-gives me some time to run out the clock.

Everybody has their own ideas of convenience and freedom. I made a good friend in NY while working there in the 80's. He said he moved to Montana for a while, then missed the city and returned.

Myself, I prefer more rural areas. Personally, I feel that it will take a lot to convince people like me that the convenience will be worth it. However, I don't foresee living in the city.
Nobody will make you live in a city, much less a 15 minute one.

However, 15 minute rural towns used to be more of a thing. The hardware store, pharmacy, bank, Sears outlet, and soda fountain were all side by side on Main Street. You could be like the 5 year old kid in the Springsteen song allowed to go to the corner on his own to get his Dad a newspaper. Now they're all gone and everybody drives to the Walmart a couple of towns over.

Fewer cars on the road would make things a lot easier for truck drivers.

Last edited by cooker; 09-13-23 at 10:46 AM.
Likes For cooker:
Old 09-13-23, 11:02 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Originally Posted by rykard
All well and good until you want to travel outside of your area, visit friends? go to a different store, try a new restaurant , go on vacation? These will be restricted..
That is never going to happen. Do you think anybody you know would accept that? Is New York going to kick everybody off the subway at every second stop so they don't stray from their zone? Only people who live near Yosemite or the Grand Canyon or the Golden Gate Bridge will get to take a selfie there? You think all those store, restaurant, and resort owners are going to just passively think "Oh well, I guess we'll just make do"? Get real.

EDIT: and London will suddenly not want tourists?

Last edited by cooker; 09-13-23 at 11:15 AM.
Old 09-15-23, 01:32 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
That is never going to happen. Do you think anybody you know would accept that? Is New York going to kick everybody off the subway at every second stop so they don't stray from their zone? Only people who live near Yosemite or the Grand Canyon or the Golden Gate Bridge will get to take a selfie there? You think all those store, restaurant, and resort owners are going to just passively think "Oh well, I guess we'll just make do"? Get real.

EDIT: and London will suddenly not want tourists?
I could see being forced to pay a toll.

What makes you think it couldn’t happen?
Old 09-15-23, 03:52 PM
rykard

Bikes: Scott Arapaho, Merida T1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
khan's already put ulez in place £12.50 / day if you drive a vehicle that doesn't meet his criteria. And this is all off the back of some very dodgy reports on London's pollution... so it is easily predicatable.
Likes For rykard:
Old 09-15-23, 06:40 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Originally Posted by SkinGriz
I could see being forced to pay a toll.

What makes you think it couldn’t happen?
Who would want it? How would they implement it? Why would they do it? How would they get the public to comply? Why would businesses support it? What purpose would it serve? It's just trolling or fearmongering.
Old 09-15-23, 06:41 PM
Bully4

We can argue this till the end of time. I see it as two different discussions combined.

One discussion concerns proper, efficient planning for a city which makes all resources easily accessible. Noble and virtuous thoughts.

The other discussion basically concerns maintaining an individual's right to choose. Rykard's point is one of the numerous regulations that crosses my mind. How is this tax going to mitigate the "climate crisis"? Where does the money actually go? Can we buy our way out of climate change? Or, is this all just a ploy to get $$$ into the big guys wallet? Or, is it a means of taking a person's only means of transportation?

I am sure there are factors which escape my small brain. However, all things need to be considered before any facet of this discussion would be implemented. There aren't many options where I live; you need transportation. No bus stops around here.

My apologies if I led this thread in the wrong direction. Furthermore, I think this is relevant because all sides of a topic should be visited. The current trend seems to be leaning towards diminishing car ownership. Let's not get too involved in arguing and allow that to happen before there are viable alternatives in place.
Old 09-15-23, 07:02 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,839 Times in 832 Posts
I see this argumentation as a symptom of a loss of trust of a large swath of the population in the political powers that be, and in the experts they cited.

And it's not because they read it on some (insert derogatory term here) blog or news source. It's because they've seen the flip-flops and "rules for thee but not for me", and on top of that the denials of aforementioned behavior - as compared to what they've seen and experienced, often firsthand.

Trust lost is almost never regained, and especially not by coercion (financial or otherwise).

And this makes my professional life a lot harder. My biggest client advises the Federal Highway Administration on national traffic standards, and so their expert advice may now go unheeded by association.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 09-15-23, 07:20 PM
Bully4

When I bought my last Bull Terrier, I had to drive to New Hampshire to pick her up. Although there were no toll booths, I received a bill for driving in a state whose motto is "live free or die". Go figure. They had big riggings which recorded your license plate number.

Trust me-they have the technology as long as there is money involved!
Likes For Bully4:
Old 09-15-23, 07:21 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,630 Times in 934 Posts
I'm satisfied with my "low density housing". Not everybody wants to live on top of each other. I understand that it makes sense on paper; however, it doesn't sound like fun if you don't have good neighbors. In this area, the high density housing is way cheaper due to lack of desirability.

Again- I think it should be up to an individual; not some politician that lives in a mansion on top of a hill.
That's all fine and well and good. How about the taxes necessary to support your desire for urban services at rural density?

It is well known that the highest value per acer is in the dense urban cores and the least population dense areas are the most subsidized. So long as you are ok with a non-economically viable way of life that relies on the charity and patriotism of others or paying a full tax-load equal to or greater than your total annual income...Sure. Your desires make a lot of sense. Let's see you put your money where your mouth is.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 09-15-23, 07:28 PM
Bully4

Originally Posted by RCMoeur
I see this argumentation as a symptom of a loss of trust of a large swath of the population in the political powers that be, and in the experts they cited.

And it's not because they read it on some (insert derogatory term here) blog or news source. It's because they've seen the flip-flops and "rules for thee but not for me", and on top of that the denials of aforementioned behavior - as compared to what they've seen and experienced, often firsthand.

Trust lost is almost never regained, and especially not by coercion (financial or otherwise).

And this makes my professional life a lot harder. My biggest client advises the Federal Highway Administration on national traffic standards, and so their expert advice may now go unheeded by association.
Kudos!!!! That sums it all up in tremendous fashion! My heart goes out too you in your dealings with the stubborn portion of our population, you could probably include me in that group.
Old 09-15-23, 07:37 PM
Bully4

What urban service? Who's running the numbers on that racket? I pay more taxes on my property than many residences in closer proximity to the city. Half the time, I lock in the four wheel drive if going to work early in the winter.

We live in different ends of the country. Less population=less services required.

I bet the taxes and the properties are high compared to my location. I also be that there is very little accomplished with the taxes paid into the big machine.
Old 09-15-23, 07:58 PM
Bully4

Originally Posted by base2
That's all fine and well and good. How about the taxes necessary to support your desire for urban services at rural density?

It is well known that the highest value per acer is in the dense urban cores and the least population dense areas are the most subsidized. So long as you are ok with a non-economically viable way of life that relies on the charity and patriotism of others or paying a full tax-load equal to or greater than your total annual income...Sure. Your desires make a lot of sense. Let's see you put your money where your mouth is.
I am intrigued by the "urban desire for services at rural density". Please enlighten me.

Crap, we only have volunteer fire companies. No local police forces. No public transportation. I pay a private company for trash removal. Probably a primitive setup compared to your location.

Again, We live at different ends of the country; I'm probably overlooking something. If we traded locations, we would probably both think we were in different countries.

Thanks
Old 09-15-23, 09:24 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
When I bought my last Bull Terrier, I had to drive to New Hampshire to pick her up. Although there were no toll booths, I received a bill for driving in a state whose motto is "live free or die". Go figure. They had big riggings which recorded your license plate number.

Trust me-they have the technology as long as there is money involved!
yes, of course everyone else should pay to build, maintain, patrol, and expand the roads you drove on to pick up your dog. if you don’t want to pay to use something, build your own version of it on your own land with your own hands.
Old 09-15-23, 10:24 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,630 Times in 934 Posts
Bully4
Not takin' the bait.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 09-16-23, 12:14 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
Who would want it? How would they implement it? Why would they do it? How would they get the public to comply? Why would businesses support it? What purpose would it serve? It's just trolling or fearmongering.
My read of global history just tells me it’s well within the realm of possibilities, and not too far down on the scale of probabilities.

I don’t see a big difference from national borders. And the vax mandates are a recent memory.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stra...Hamlet_Program
Old 09-16-23, 07:39 AM
Bully4

Originally Posted by mschwett
yes, of course everyone else should pay to build, maintain, patrol, and expand the roads you drove on to pick up your dog. if you don’t want to pay to use something, build your own version of it on your own land with your own hands.
I recall buying food, fuel, and paying taxes on a hotel stay. Aren't there federal and state taxes included in the price of gas? Where do they they go?

My point isn't to insult residents of New Hampshire. My point is that there seems to be redundant taxation to support causes. Where does it all go? Blindly forking over money could serve to feed a corrupt process.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.